2020 MAC Tournament

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Christ man.  This reaction has some science and experience behind it.  This is not the damn cold.  I don't think panic does anyone good, but it is obvious some people need educated.  These aren't schlubs making these calls, it's our best and brightest.

Sorry, but I don't share your confidence in the people making these "calls". IMHO they're not considering big picture. We're all complaining because we don't get to see our sports, but what about all of the lost jobs? Not just in sports but in everything that's being and will be affected? COVID 19 has a higher death rate than the flu they say. But, for 80%, they say it is merely a cold or less. How will death rates and sickness from global recession / depression compare? We all face risk everyday at home and when we step outside our homes. Is the current reaction really warranted for the risk?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Sorry, but I don't share your confidence in the people making these "calls". IMHO they're not considering big picture. We're all complaining because we don't get to see our sports, but what about all of the lost jobs? Not just in sports but in everything that's being and will be affected? COVID 19 has a higher death rate than the flu they say. But, for 80%, they say it is merely a cold or less. How will death rates and sickness from global recession / depression compare? We all face risk everyday at home and when we step outside our homes. Is the current reaction really warranted for the risk?

Probably because of what happened in Italy.  this is changing so rapidly and there's a lot of misinformation coming from other countries as well as the federal govt.  

https://odh.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/odh/know-our-programs/Novel-Coronavirus/2019-nCoV

I would suggest following the stats on this website.  There were 3 cases a few days ago now there are 5.  If those numbers flatten out, then life can move forward.

33 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Yes, in fact the current reaction is a little late because experts were ringing the alarm to be careful and start getting prepared last year.  Go read about the Spanish Flu of 1918.  Then go listen to this interview with infectious disease expert.  

Like the fact that the economy nose dives in response to a pandemic and supply-chain economics means it's a problem with the economy, not with the experts or their opinions for how to deal with infectious disease.  If the people in charge of this country (politicians) hadn't cut pandemic-response teams (whose job it is to spear head preventing this from happening/preventing the panic from happening) and actually listened to health officials when they make warnings years...even decades ago...that we need to be preparing for things like this; making changes to our supply chains etc...

When Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico; the world faced a shortage of bags used for saline because 85% of them were produced there.  And it's like no-one knew it wasn't going to happen either.  Governments actually need to LISTEN to experts instead of playing politics.

Edited by Zip-Grad '13
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"How Deadly is Coronavirus? What We Know and What We Don't" | New York Times

"We spoke to a number of experts in epidemiology, and they all agreed that 1% [death rate] was probably more realistic (than the 3.4% being mentioned)."  So that's good news - if The Time's sources are correct.  But the situation is still fluid and is changing rapidly.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1