2020 MAC Tournament

There is no good way to spin the disappointment for athletes, students, and fans across the country.

For the Zips, they had an amazing end to the season and won their last two games against their biggest rivals in exciting fashion on national TV in front of a big crowd and a sell out crowd. 

I hope the school will eventually put a highlight reel together, have a big party, and present the MAC Championship trophy to the Zips and honor Groce, LCJ, and the seniors.

I keep thinking of the scene at the end of Hoosiers where the camera pans away from the photo of  Norman Dale and his championship team.

5 minutes ago, monrowe said:

The NCAA is considering granting seniors who want to stay another year of eligibility and they(NCAA)might foot the bill for the extra scholarship.Because of the unprecedented event.Stat tuned 

Do they have that kind of money, especially after losing all the post season revenue?

Because we have 4 senior starters. That is a lot of shekels.

9 minutes ago, monrowe said:

The NCAA is considering granting seniors who want to stay another year of eligibility and they(NCAA)might foot the bill for the extra scholarship.Because of the unprecedented event.Stat tuned 

OMG.  I just texted that idea to someone.  I had no idea they were considering it.

I guess the problem would be for the kids behind them waiting to come on to the team and the recruits coming in.  

Edited by NWAkron

3 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Do they have that kind of money, especially after losing all the post season revenue?

Because we have 4 senior starters. That is a lot of shekels.

I've read that they have insurance on their championship events for the lost revenue. But I'm not sure the validity of that

4 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

OMG.  I just texted that idea to someone.  I had no idea they were considering it.

I guess the problem would be for the kids behind them waiting to come on to the team and the recruits coming in.  

I posted in another thread that my cousin is a senior and wrestles.. I've heard rumors that they may do this for the seniors that qualified for the NCAAs. So I'm wondering how this applies to team sports if it happens. Should all seniors get the extra year even if their season was already over? I don't know. Would be a nice advantage for us if it's just NCAA qualifiers, but I have a feeling that won't happen

Edited by zippy5

2 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I posted in another thread that my cousin is a senior and wrestles.. I've heard rumors that they may do this for the seniors that qualified for the NCAAs. So I'm wondering how this applies to team sports if it happens. Should all seniors get the extra year even if their season was already over? I don't know. Would be a nice advantage for us if it's just NCAA qualifiers, but I have a feeling that won't happen

Probably not.  All of our wishful thinking these last few days has been stamped down and crushed so far.

6 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I believe that you would have to do that for all sports that were affected by the cancellations.  It would be very costly but I think it would be a great idea to give student athletes the option.

I don't think it would be as many as we would think.  After the pain, anger, and frustration wears off, most may be ready to move on with their lives.  But for those basketball players planning on playing in Europe...another year of school may be the best option financially.   A coach or university would probably have a power to reject the concept.  I think for Tyler and Channel this would be perfect.

Edited by NWAkron

1 minute ago, NWAkron said:

I don't think it would be as many as we would think.  After the pain, anger, and frustration wears off, most may be ready to move on with their lives.  But for those basketball players planning on playing in Europe...another year of school may be the best option financially.   A coach or university would probably have a power to reject the concept.

Show me a coach that doesn't want a senior coming back after this and I'll show you a coach that won't be there for long

5 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Show me a coach that doesn't want a senior coming back after this and I'll show you a coach that won't be there for long

well, if this occurs @Illini Zip will need to do some heavy lifting on the scholarship chart.  And Zipsnation will have a lot of fun with predicting line-ups.  Don't forget to go to my thread and post your favorite moment from the season.  If you can find a video clip of it or a pic of the player, even better.

The NCAA not only has insurance for this type of thing, but they have a massive rainy day fund. A couple years ago it was released how large it was and people were furious that the NCAA was holding onto that money instead of distributing it to schools. I don't remember how much it was, but it was enough to fund the NCAA for a multitude of years.

We'll see how things play out. It's no guarantee everyone would want to come back anyways. Banks being a prime example. He has a kid now so at some point he has to work towards becoming a provider. I don't know everyones situation, but being able to finish up a masters or have an extra year to develop might be useful to someone like Xeyrius or Cheese.

17 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Probably not.  All of our wishful thinking these last few days has been stamped down and crushed so far.

there are going to be a lot of busy lawyers?Scholarships are contracts the coaches are under contract.Who will they crown the actual tournament champions?Etc.Coaches and staff get Bonuses who gets bonus money?The NCAA has make a decision?

3 minutes ago, monrowe said:

there are going to be a lot of busy lawyers?Scholarships are contracts the coaches are under contract.Who will they crown the actual tournament champions?Etc.Coaches and staff get Bonuses who gets bonus money?The NCAA has make a decision?

one of the reasons they cancelled everything.  They need to figure this all out (but not behind closed doors) while all of this plays out.

4 minutes ago, monrowe said:

That is a great point.

Groce is probably owed a bonus for winning the MAC, and might have been in line for another bonus for winning the tournament.

Meanwhile the school gets ZERO revenue after the regular season.

These are all issues to be resolved.

And now I really wonder if LCJ will be back.

He is already a free agent. But just lost his best chance to go dancing with Akron.

Some P5 perennial madness school just might want to pick up the POY of the MAC.

If I was him and I got that offer I would take it to play in the NCAA's at least once in my career.

Next year at Akron is hardly any guarantee of anything. This was our best team in years.

2 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

And now I really wonder if LCJ will be back.

He is already a free agent. But just lost his best chance to go dancing with Akron.

Some P5 perennial madness school just might want to pick up the POY of the MAC.

If I was him and I got that offer I would take it to play in the NCAA's at least once in my career.

Next year at Akron is hardly any guarantee of anything. This was our best team in years.

Let's not go there.  And dancing is never a guarantee unless you are with one of the elite few.  Think about Utomi.   He was so close.   If anything, these situations make you want to stay with what is certain.

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

well, if this occurs @Illini Zip will need to do some heavy lifting on the scholarship chart.  And Zipsnation will have a lot of fun with predicting line-ups.  Don't forget to go to my thread and post your favorite moment from the season.  If you can find a video clip of it or a pic of the player, even better.

I'm up for the challenge.  ?