2020 MAC Tournament

38 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

NIU's Eugene German's thoughts on the subject.

I stand with German.  But since they already awarded the trophy to Akron...

And in alternate reality, we would be 10 minutes from tip off against the Snow Mutts.

Edited by NWAkron

I would have preferred the NCAA go into a wait and see stance with hopes of getting all of the tournament play in eventually. Allow teams to continue to practice and stay conditioned. Perhaps even scrimmage a couple of times over the next month. And then call it off if necessary.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Seniors get an extra year. But it would not come without a cost. Right now we have 2 open scholarships, recruits will see the huge log jam at the top and know they will not see the court much, if at all their Freshman year. And even though we will be incredibly deep for a single season, the following team will have had their development stunted a bit. Even Tribble and Ali who found the court this season would likely find themselves behind Trimble and Dailey. I could see not having enough minutes for a solid 11 player rotation. Half of the Zips players will have to sign up for AARP, but It would be fun to watch I have to admit. I'm in, go Zips!!

9 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I would have preferred the NCAA go into a wait and see stance with hopes of getting all of the tournament play in eventually. Allow teams to continue to practice and stay conditioned. Perhaps even scrimmage a couple of times over the next month. And then call it off if necessary.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Seniors get an extra year. But it would not come without a cost. Right now we have 2 open scholarships, recruits will see the huge log jam at the top and know they will not see the court much, if at all their Freshman year. And even though we will be incredibly deep for a single season, the following team will have had their development stunted a bit. Even Tribble and Ali who found the court this season would likely find themselves behind Trimble and Dailey. I could see not having enough minutes for a solid 11 player rotation. Half of the Zips players will have to sign up for AARP, but It would be fun to watch I have to admit. I'm in, go Zips!!

I wonder if a few...maybe Ali or Sayles...will transfer.  There's also the Edwards kid.  I read that all these guys and gals getting another year could enter the transfer portal.  I would hope that there would be a restriction that you have to stay with the same school.  I'm sure the university could raise more $ for scholarships from donors.  I think this ban on recruiting until 4/15 is giving the NCAA a chance to figure out what they are going to do...have a tournament (good for Zips) or give seniors another year (also good for Zips).  German, for all his lack of prose, did make a good point...the NCAA screwed over the athletes.  Giving the seniors on the NIU gymnastics team another year of eligibility doesn't stem the damage done to the basketball players.  Does the NCAA chalk this up to ... life isn't always fair? or make amends?

14 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Good points @NWAkron. I thought of Sayles as a potential transfer candidate too if this scenario played out. As a Senior he could be buried behind Riak, Currie and Reece. But I have to give him some love, he had his moments this year and seems to have a healthy attitude. 

Sayles set the screen of a lifetime at the end of the Eastern Michigan game.  He's a popular teammate

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

This site would be much different right now in an alternate universe. And I'd be celebrating at the Harry Buffalo probably

Unlike the toilet paper aisle, it's a ghost town. I was just thinking this time last week we were a day removed from beating PCCC, and we were prepping to root for CMU. Now, the sports world is shut down, and I'm not sure what to do with my life...

We should all be basking in the glow of a MAC championship and be repeatedly glancing at the clock to see if it's time to leave for the JAR for the selection watch party, but instead, nobody has posted in 14 hours.  Sigh.  LIFE AIN'T FAIR.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Sergeant Zip said:

Only spring sport athletes will get an extra year.

I hope the University will have a big event for the Seniors when this nightmare is over.  I understand not letting the basketball players come back.  Frankly, it would only be a benefit for the 64 schools and a few others who had a real chance at March Madness.  for 95% (??) of the programs the year was over.  Why should seniors on Buffalo's men's or Akron's women's teams get another year?  This falls into the "Life isn't always fair" category.  Don't get me wrong, I would love it if they could make it happen but this gives some finality to the basketball programs.  They can now move forward.