First Round Pick'ems

NWAkron

MAC Opening Round  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What higher seed will win Monday night?

• Eastern Michigan
    • Central Michigan
    • Western Michigan
    • Miami
    • Toledo Women

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/09/2020 at 11:00 PM

This will be a short thread but am curious what the experts think.  Please comment on any other predictions or premonitions you have for tomorrow night.

Also, what was your craziest/favorite  (NON-CHAMPIONSHIP GAME) memory from MAC tourney through the years?

Edited by NWAkron

58 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Also, what was your craziest/favorite  (NON-CHAMPIONSHIP GAME) memory from MAC tourney through the years?

I enjoyed the 2011 quarterfinal game against Miami.  The Zips won in double OT.  I was sitting in the lower bowl, but got asked by the usher to move to the floor (I assume to look good for TV).  Got to watch that game and the next one with feet on the floor, almost mid-court.  My friend and I were sitting next to a Michigan fan and somehow soccer came up with Akron winning the 2010 title.  He said something like "was that for small schools?".  I said no, it was division I and oh, by the way, they knocked off Michigan in the semifinals to get the the championship game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

I enjoyed the 2011 quarterfinal game against Miami.  The Zips won in double OT.  I was sitting in the lower bowl, but got asked by the usher to move to the floor (I assume to look good for TV).  Got to watch that game and the next one with feet on the floor, almost mid-court.  My friend and I were sitting next to a Michigan fan and somehow soccer came up with Akron winning the 2010 title.  He said something like "was that for small schools?".  I said no, it was division I and oh, by the way, they knocked off Michigan in the semifinals to get the the championship game.

I remember that Miami game.  for whatever reason i didn't go to that game.  I was supposed to go to a going away party for a colleague after work.  however, I couldn't leave because I was following the score on the computer  (before smart phones i guess) and the game kept going on and on and on...and Josh Egner still didn't get to play.

I went CMU but only because I don't want OU in Cleveland.

2009 Toledo game. First round or quarterfinals. Can't remember. Brett McKnight with the ally-oop tip in at the buzzer. We won 4 straight in 4 days to win our first MAC Title. Also, that was the same night as the MARATHON UConn/Syracuse game. 6 OT. It was fun to come home after Akron's win and still get to watch live basketball at like midnight. 

30 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

Governor just declared a State of Emergency in Ohio.  3 positive COVID-19 cases in Cuyahoga County.  One hospitalized at Cleveland Clinic.

I think we're facing a real possibility of some cancellations or fan-free games this weekend.

I pray not.  That would be a tough sell.  Because that would logically lead to the entire March Madness would have to block fans. Frankly the MAC tourney isn't that "big" of an event 

Edited by NWAkron

41 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I pray not.  That would be a tough sell.  Because that would logically lead to the entire March Madness would have to block fans. Frankly the MAC tourney isn't that "big" of an event 

I don't disagree.  Sometimes public health situations are bigger than anything sports related.  Barring a miracle, this is going to get worse before it gets better.

1 hour ago, RowdyZip said:

I don't disagree.  Sometimes public health situations are bigger than anything sports related.  Barring a miracle, this is going to get worse before it gets better.

Also, the First Round of the NCAA is in Cleveland.  If MAC is cancelled then that would be as well.  I read Gov. DeWine has said Ohio is still open for business.  My gut reaction is the MAC tourney is safe.  

Looking at some message boards, rumor is Miami coach will be fired tomorrow (unlikely with 2 years left on his contract), CMU re-upped Keno, and Hawkins should be gone.  Akron clobbered Miami last year in the first round.  I can't imagine an even worse Miami team improving on that performance.  Hawkins has some talent that may get it going at Toledo.  Ultimately, EMU is only team that brings something to the table that could stymie an opponent.  Buffalo by 20+.  EMU...by 7.

2 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

Governor just declared a State of Emergency in Ohio.  3 positive COVID-19 cases in Cuyahoga County.  One hospitalized at Cleveland Clinic.

I think we're facing a real possibility of some cancellations or fan-free games this weekend.

https://t.co/LLQIFKWFkM?amp=1

• Like 1