John Groce: How do you like me now edition?

On April 26, 2017, John Groce was hired as coach of the Zips.  On the Zips Nation boards, both during the search and after, he had many detractors.  People questioned his record and were especially brutal when the team struggled through the first year with just 5 returning players and only one who had played significant minutes the year before.  Groce took that crew of leftovers, last minute recruits and walk-ons to a 15-17 record/6-12 in the MAC.  Given time to recruit, he started to build "his" team and brought in guys like LCJ, Cheese and Banks, going 17-16/8-10 in the MAC last season. This season, he brought in yet more talent and took a team predicted to be 5th in the East to the best record in MAC.  Today he was deservedly named MAC Coach of the Year.  After being stripped to the studs, Akron basketball has returned to the top of the MAC last season.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

He's awesome no matter what happens tomorrow.  My hope was this year was some road wins and a trip to the Semis.  One more win away from that.  I think this teams cohesiveness will help them tomorrow with all the outside craziness.  I like that he chose character over raw talent when needed.  The Gueye/Kostelac dust up is still a mystery

On 3/11/2020 at 8:20 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

I was hoping just for 20 wins and being competitive in the MAC this season.  They are way past that.  Next year's squad looks promising too.

I will gladly admit to being one of the big detractors.  I even sent some tweets his way apologizing for my doubt.

That being said, a LOT will need to go our way for us to play near the level we did this year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RowdyZip said:

I will gladly admit to being one of the big detractors.  I even sent some tweets his way apologizing for my doubt.

That being said, a LOT will need to go our way for us to play near the level we did this year.  

A lot went our way for us to play at the level we did this year. We were picked to finished 5th in the MAC East during preseason. Personally, I thought we'd finish 2nd or 3rd in the East with BG winning it.