Game 1 of the MAC Tournament- Ohio U

The Zips head into a fanless Rocket Mortgage Field House today to face the Bobcats.  The Bobcats placed Preston on the All-MAC second team and Vander Plas on the third team yesterday.  Vander Plas was injured in the game a couple of weeks ago against the Zips, but seems to be back at full speed having played 36 minutes, scored 28 points and pulled down 12 rebounds Monday night against CMU.  The Zips beat the Snobcats by 7 at the JAR and 2 in Athens.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

Semi-Finals/Finals matchup in the Quarterfinals. 

Focus. Effort. Aggressiveness. Free Throws. 

The reason I included "aggressiveness" is jump shots in Cleveland can take time to adjust, let alone in an empty arena. Who knows how we'll shoot from deep, so I'm looking for us to be more aggressive and drive to the basket. 

That being said, darkhorse MVP of this game: Tribble. 

I honestly think for the conference tournament the players and staff are safer by participating. The teams have already traveled to the host cities and are self isolated preparing for the event. If they weren't participating they'd be out doing whatever college kids do these days and come into contact with even more people.

Preston is so good at penetrating and scoring or dishing when the help comes.  Here's hoping Banks can shut some of that down.  He's a good three point shooter too, so you have to pick your poison.  I'd pick him shooting threes with a hand in his face.  As for Vander Plas, he's hurt the Zips down inside by repeatedly backing down whoever is on him.  They need to muscle him up and stand their ground.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

One correction to the initial post - they're still playing these at the Rock, right?   As awesome as it would be to have our fanless game at home, I don't think they moved to campus sites?

OU starts VERY fast, but burns out just as quick.  The last time they didn't win the first half was back on Feb 18th, but the only second half they won was against Kent.  I hope that tired legs keeps them a little down in the first half, because if we can survive that in good shape, I'm confident in the Zips ability to shut down their game in the last 20.

10 minutes ago, Aaron said:

One correction to the initial post - they're still playing these at the Rock, right?   As awesome as it would be to have our fanless game at home, I don't think they moved to campus sites?

OU starts VERY fast, but burns out just as quick.  The last time they didn't win the first half was back on Feb 18th, but the only second half they won was against Kent.  I hope that tired legs keeps them a little down in the first half, because if we can survive that in good shape, I'm confident in the Zips ability to shut down their game in the last 20.

It's tough growing old and feeble minded!  I fixed it.

45 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

They key is getting off to a good start.  We don't want to fall behind by double digits in the first half.  Stopping OU starts with Preston.  I'm hoping Banks will be covering him like a blanket from the start of the game.

I like our odds with one of the MAC first team defensive players on Preston. Preston went off while LCJ was guarding him and was pretty much shut down by Banks. Let him work guarding LCJ and then  put Banks on him. Then Zips win this one rather handily. 75-61

4 minutes ago, ejcool27 said:

Big Ten and SEC just cancelled its tournament. It’s not looking good for the MAC

Ugh.  This is just horrible.  I guess the NCAA can still have a tournament.  Wait two weeks and bring all the conference champions to one city.  For teams like Dayton, it has to be heartbreaking.  Zips were in good spot to win this tournament but realistically their season was going to be over in a week.

3 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Well at least this means we should be the auto bid...if there is a tourney at all.

Whatever the case, I hope this clears up and by the end of the school year they have a big party at the JAR for Coach Groce, LCJ, and the seniors.

Think about all the players we know playing in Europe.  They may be stranded and have no income coming in.

• Like 1