2020-2021 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

To get us past our lingering disappointment, I thought it was a good time to start looking forward. Last year, I started the Looking Forward thread to take the focus away from the end of the season griping.  This year, we’re in a much different place.

Our Zips have gone from 15 wins to 17 wins to 24 wins and a MAC championship under John Groce.  Assuming the NCAA doesn’t allow seniors to return, the Zips look to lose Cheese, X, Banks and Riak from the regular rotation.   Stepping in are Dailey, Curry, Trimble, Clarke and Edwards.  Of course, this could always change (see Eric Hester).

It will be interesting to see what Groce does with this slate of players next year.  If I had to bet, I could see a starting five of LCJ, Trimble, Dailey, Curry and Reece.  Tribble could be in the starting five but I could see Groce not starting him with an eye towards using him quite a bit as both the primary backup at the point and at the 2.  Ali and Dawson should also see quite a few minutes.  Clarke should also see some minutes as he settles in.  I’m not sure what they have in Edwards.

I think next year’s squad won’t shoot the three as well as this team, but they will be deeper, more physical, and may rebound and defend better.  I think Zips fans will love Maishe Dailey.  He’s long, plays hard and is a likable kid.  I loved how he supported the team from the bench this year. 

It’s going to be tough to top this year’s special team but I think next year’s version will be fun too.  I think the community is finally starting to get it so we’re going to see better crowds and some rocking nights at the JAR.

• Like 2

• clarkwgriswold changed the title to 2020-2021 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward
13 minutes ago, LZIp said:

We still also have 2 scholarships open. We'd dominate the MAC if by chance the seniors were allowed to come back.  Obviously you have to feel good about our outlook regardless.

I posted on the other thread, I wonder how comfortable one of the seniors would feel coming back and disrupting the recruiting process for new guys.  They ended on such a high note.  And there's nothing to say they could rekindle the magic.

33 minutes ago, LZIp said:

We still also have 2 scholarships open. We'd dominate the MAC if by chance the seniors were allowed to come back.  Obviously you have to feel good about our outlook regardless.

May the basketball gods place a serviceable 6'10" readily available big man in the transfer portal.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I posted on the other thread, I wonder how comfortable one of the seniors would feel coming back and disrupting the recruiting process for new guys.  They ended on such a high note.  And there's nothing to say they could rekindle the magic.

Banks said he'd be back if allowed.

• Like 1

Recruit 2 shooters that can play now, IMO. They'll need to spread the floor once again to make room for LCJ, who's going to be in the other 11 coaches' crosshairs starting right now. I worry his overall production will be reduced because of this, if he weren't 5'8, I wouldn't worry about it. But who knows, he could average 25 per game next year and make me eat my words.

I'm looking forward to what Currie brings to the table. From what I've seen, he looks like a really good post player and without X, Cheese, and Channel, they're not going to have the three-point threats that they did so a dependable guy to throw it into could be a big help. I'm not sure if he is a shooter, if anyone has anymore info on that, I'd appreciate it! 

I'm kind of guessing on Currie, and I know next to nothing about Clarke, so I'm not going to pretend to know what I'm talking about. 

If I had to guess, I would say next season will be defined by the offseason development of the guys who were here this year. Dailey, Sayles, Trimble, LCJ, Ali, Reece, Dawson, Tribble. Specifically, the three freshmen Dawson, Tribble, and Ali. Tribble obviously showed the most flashes and Dawson didn't have much of a chance to, but I think Ali has potential to be one of those huge "NBA All-Star in your role" guys that Groce always talks about. Everyone on the team is supposed to fill their role like that, but I think Ali could be special. He's got good handles for a long guy, he's big but needs to bulk up, he has a decent jumper that needs work, and he's a damn good defender. If he develops in the offseason like we just saw that senior class, look out. If he, Tribble, and Dawson all develop like that, we'll be pretty damn good again, especially on Defense. 

It's hard for me to make any educated predictions for next season. We just have too many moving moving pieces. The MAC as a whole should be pretty on par to this years level of talent and I don't see any 1 team that appears it would be dominate. It all just depends what kind of production we can get around LCJ. If teams can hard double him all season to force the ball out of his hands, it could be a very long season. If we have other players who can space the floor and create their own shot, LCJ should be in the running for a 2nd POY and Akron would have to be among the favorites.

From a fan far from expert who hasn't seen a game in person: I think we will have a large rotation. Sometimes subbing 5 at a time. Fresh legs and speed will get shots before defenses can bottle us up. When they double, we have plenty of time to work on 4 on 3 sets. I think that will get us plenty of lay ups and dunks. High % shots will decrease our reliance on the 3 ball. Fresh legs will only help our D. Long bench will allow more aggressive D not to worry so much about fouls. Fast tempo will be fun for fans who will fill more empty seats. Go Zips.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Remember how Noah Robotham was never quite the same after his knee injury?   I have a similar feeling about Jayden since his wrist injury two years ago against BG.

I remember that game.  Miami at home near the end of the season.  I also remember Noah's reaction and his chewing out the legally blind trainer.  That being said he had to be in a lot of pain and really scared at that moment.  I also remember Jayden taking that fall in the BG game.  Goodness how lucky the Zips were this year.  Only a slightly sprained ankle for Cam Reese during the NIU game.  Otherwise, those Zips knew how to take a fall.  Ironically, it was the NIU crazy basketball court that injured Reece.

4 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I remember that game.  Miami at home near the end of the season.  I also remember Noah's reaction and his chewing out the legally blind trainer.  That being said he had to be in a lot of pain and really scared at that moment.  I also remember Jayden taking that fall in the BG game.  Goodness how lucky the Zips were this year.  Only a slightly sprained ankle for Cam Reese during the NIU game.  Otherwise, those Zips knew how to take a fall.  Ironically, it was the NIU crazy basketball court that injured Reece.

I thought Jayden hit his head on that fall and I was really scared for the kid.  Spoke to him at the Ice Cream Social this year and he was excited to finally be injury free.  I wish the kid well.  I don't think that lack of effort was ever an issue for him, I just think the staff saw the other bigs as more valuable.  I hope he finds success wherever he ends up.

• Like 2

Coach Groce will have his hands full developing new players and adapting transfers into the culture.  It will take a stellar effort from all parties to get us to a similar level as last year (assuming NCAA doesn't allow an additional year for Winter sports).  We'll have to replace at least 50% of our production in all major statistics.  A look at what we're losing between X, Banks, Cheese and Riak:

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish Jaden the best wherever he lands.  I thought he was always a great cheerleader on the bench.  He slimmed down and played with more intensity during the season.  He had some great minutes and was scoring on some nice assists by Jackson.  He also worked hard on defense and pulled down some nice rebounds. 

However, I think it was in the Ohio game where a player drove the lane and Jaden did not move to block his shot and the guy had a layup.  Groce pulled him and I don't think he saw the court again.  I felt bad for him but when you are at the end of the bench there is just no room for error.  I was looking forward to seeing how much he progressed next season.  

Edited by 1981 grad

Interesting but not surprising. I appreciate that he stayed with the program as long as he did. I agree with Clark that he was never the same after his injury. Wasn't his injury due to a BS technical earlier in the game that potentially sat in the back of his mind and made him let go of the rim too early on the dunk?

I wonder how Groce will fill the extra scholly. 

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Interesting but not surprising. I appreciate that he stayed with the program as long as he did. I agree with Clark that he was never the same after his injury. Wasn't his injury due to a BS technical earlier in the game that potentially sat in the back of his mind and made him let go of the rim too early on the dunk?

I wonder how Groce will fill the extra scholly. 

Speaking of injuries or "almost" injuries, I remember early in the season X went down hard on the floor with a loud thud.  It sounded and looked like he hit his head.  The JAR went silent.  Never heard it so quiet, and the rest of the season was flashing before my eyes.  Then X got up with a big smile.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I always have wondered what the deal was with Noah almost going after the trainer when he hurt his knee. It was a strange reaction I've never seen before in that situation. 

3 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

Coach Groce will have his hands full developing new players and adapting transfers into the culture.  It will take a stellar effort from all parties to get us to a similar level as last year (assuming NCAA doesn't allow an additional year for Winter sports).  We'll have to replace at least 50% of our production in all major statistics.  A look at what we're losing between X, Banks, Cheese and Riak:

image.png

Nice job with the numbers.  I think it will be tough for them to repeat a 24 win season, however, I think another year on Reece, Tribble, Dawson and Ali goes a long way and that Trimble, Curry and Dailey will go a long way to replacing Banks, X and Cheese.  Not 24 wins, but no reason that if healthy they can't win 20 to 22. 

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Nice job with the numbers.  I think it will be tough for them to repeat a 24 win season, however, I think another year on Reece, Tribble, Dawson and Ali goes a long way and that Trimble, Curry and Dailey will go a long way to replacing Banks, X and Cheese.  Not 24 wins, but no reason that if healthy they can't win 20 to 22. 

26-4:  Book It to the Akron Zips!

• Like 1