2020-2021 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

12 minutes ago, ZIPS96 said:

Here is a quote from Ohio State’s coach about next season.  “And then obviously, we have a really good mid-major coming in that just won their league early in the season in Akron. That will be a fantastic game. I think they won 24 or 25 games.“

I'll be there, assuming there won't be more than 10 people in attendance. Shouldn't be a problem considering the last time Akron played at OSUcks, they were already practicing social distancing (super small crowd).

This matchup makes perfect sense. Groce was an assistant at OSUcks and I believe has a good relationship with Holtmann. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

I would have liked to have gotten a shot at tOSU in the tourney. I'm glad we didn't play them in November. They destroyed Cincy, Villanova, UNC, and Penn State early in the year. Also beat a really good Kentucky team. They peaked in November thru mid-December. Those two months of basketball were why they were projected to be a 4/5 seed. 

56 minutes ago, LZIp said:

UNC also finished tied for last place in the ACC. Regardless, pretty thrilled about this game.

UNC season got derailed by injuries, including to a guy that will likely be a lottery pick. I could be wrong, but I think they were mostly healthy when they played tOSU. 

I do agree that it's a nice game to have on the schedule. Personally, I view it as a little to lose, but a lot to gain type game. It certainly beats playing a random Big 12 or ACC opponent.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

UNC season got derailed by injuries, including to a guy that will likely be a lottery pick. I could be wrong, but I think they were mostly healthy when they played tOSU. 

I do agree that it's a nice game to have on the schedule. Personally, I view it as a little to lose, but a lot to gain type game. It certainly beats playing a random Big 12 or ACC opponent.

Exactly, like playing West Virginia with the added in state rivalry component.  I liked it when OSU football would play an early warmup against an in state opponent.

Hopefully, the Zips established a nice relationship with Xavier and can schedule them at some point.  Taking it to them in a scrimmage probably didn't help!

Players on teams from the following conferences are eligible for the Henson award: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Horizon, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Summit, Sun Belt, West Coast.

Here's an article about the Lou Henson team and the honorees-

http://www.louhenson.com/

9 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

A lot of coaches have a certain tweet they'll send when a recruit commits. I'm wondering if that's what this is? Or Groce is just a big Pens fan watching the 2009 Stanley Cup reruns on ATTSN. Probably more likely to be the former

He had a nice list of mid-major offers. Also beat out Kent State - and beating them never gets old.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/jermaine-marshall-al

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

23.5 minutes per game, 10.2 ppg, 49.8 field goal percentage, 32.8 3 point percentage, 8.8 rebounds per game, ,1 assist per game, 1.4 steals per game,  0.2 blocks per game.  From the tape I watched, seems to be more of an interior player with most of his shots in close or dunks on breaks.  His shot isn't awful, but he seems to prefer to drive to the basket.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

23.5 minutes per game, 10.2 ppg, 49.8 field goal percentage, 32.8 3 point percentage, 8.8 rebounds per game, ,1 assist per game, 1.4 steals per game,  0.2 blocks per game.  From the tape I watched, seems to be more of an interior player with most of his shots in close or dunks on breaks.  His shot isn't awful, but he seems to prefer to drive to the basket.

What position does he fill and/or what will be his role?

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

What position does he fill and/or what will be his role?

Verbal commits lists him as a PF. He runs the court extremely well and looks to handle the ball pretty well. All in all, he looks like a 3 inch shorter version of Xeyrius Williams.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

Does he have to sit for a year?

My guess is no because he's a JUCO. I believe it's a seamless transition to DI ball from there. 

I said this in the Recruiting thread for him, but he looks like a slightly weaker Reece with a jump shot. He finishes well around the rim with/after contact, and is heady on defense with an aggressive approach. Groce's strength & conditioning program should have no problem putting size on him. I think he'll fit the system nicely, and as we've seen with Groce's recruiting tactics, it's all about the system fit - not the "traditional basketball" fit of grabbing guys just because of their height, etc. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Verbal commits lists him as a PF. He runs the court extremely well and looks to handle the ball pretty well. All in all, he looks like a 3 inch shorter version of Xeyrius Williams.

From my extensive and exhaustive research (4 to 5 minutes of a YouTube video), he seems different than X in that he seems to rely on going inside as opposed to relying on the outside shot.  X seemed to default to shooting the 3 while this kid seems to drive the ball a lot more.

While he is listed as a PF and was used there on his JUCO team, he seems pretty mobile.  I sure like that length on the perimeter on defense.