2020-2021 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

Saw something out there that the NCAA is looking at a one time transfer waiver for the 20-21 season. Maybe explains why we haven't heard much regarding the last two open scholarships. Could be some really good pieces that become available...

Really looking forward to seeing Brian Trimble after hearing Groce's comments.  Sounds like he's a next level shooter and should help replace some of the shooting they lose to graduation.  Sounds like he can handle the ball too which brings some real value, like Tyler Cheese, when LCJ is off of the floor.   He and Daily are going to give the Zips some dangerous wing players.  I understood KD's approach in focusing on freshmen, but the infusion of transfers (e.g. X, Riak. LCJ) and JUCOs (Cheese, Banks, Reece) has added a lot of excitement to the program.  Dailey, Trimble and Currie will be a huge infusion of talent.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'd just like to say that in a world of budget cuts and debates and awful football that it's great to have a team we can enjoy and get behind.

Amen.  Save Groce and the basketball team at all costs.  I can tolerate the complaints about other sports and campus issues.  But Zips basketball is becoming sacrosanct.  

Edited by NWAkron

I believe Akron has Groce under contract for $650k for each of the next 4 seasons. His contract is I believe fully guaranteed so they can't cut him to bring in someone cheaper. The only threat is if he does well enough to attract bigger offers. His salary makes him I believe the highest paid coach in the MAC. I'd think it would be tough for many A10 programs to come in and offer him a $900k+ salary given the current climate, especially if it meant paying their current coach a buyout. If Groce does well enough that a B1G or SEC comes along then there really isn't anything we can do. On the plus side that also probably likes means somewhere along the way Akron picked up their first tournament win.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eagle66 said:

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but Jeff Goodman just tweeted Akron is scheduled to be in the Gulf Coast Showcase next season.

Thanks for sharing.

If that gets played, it should be a pretty good tournament. Akron, Vermont, Indiana State, and Middle Tenn are all pretty solid mid-majors. Although Mid Tenn has struggled the last year or 2. Omaha and Fordham are the cupcakes, but they're still good enough to beat any of the other teams on a good night. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2-3 of these 8 teams win either their regular season or conference tournament.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

I would love to get more of these teams on the regular schedule and have tournaments with a chance for an upset of a bigger name, but I can't complain about getting some solid games on the schedule. I like seeing how we stack up against the other respectable mid-majors

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

No reason why the team can't be involved in another pre-season/OOC tournament -- especially if it's a 4-team event.  They seem to be increasing in number.

Right now, there's one very large reason, unfortunately- the cost of attending (travel.hotels, ,food, etc.).  

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Wow, Joe Lunardi must have been really bored in his downtime.

Not enough apparently. His MAC research time was clearly limited. Must have been looking at his 2017-18 notes.

Meanwhile, Akron's Instagram posted on their story a bracket of the top 16 guards in the country. LCJ was on there. Guards win in March, Joe.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 7:41 PM, kreed5120 said:

Thanks for sharing.

If that gets played, it should be a pretty good tournament. Akron, Vermont, Indiana State, and Middle Tenn are all pretty solid mid-majors. Although Mid Tenn has struggled the last year or 2. Omaha and Fordham are the cupcakes, but they're still good enough to beat any of the other teams on a good night. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2-3 of these 8 teams win either their regular season or conference tournament.

I was looking at the other teams thinking, Championship of bust!

31 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

If true, what a phony POS he is.  

If he's being told to expect a 20% cut in his pay and the program budget and not to expect any more support from the administration and ETSU is willing to offer much more, I can't say I blame him.  It could potentially be a warning shot fired by him to those starting to sit down and crunch/trim the numbers.