2020-2021 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

3 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

If he's being told to expect a 20% cut in his pay and the program budget and not to expect any more support from the administration and ETSU is willing to offer much more, I can't say I blame him.  It could potentially be a warning shot fired by him to those starting to sit down and crunch/trim the numbers.

I'm thinking the latter and he's just letting them know he's got options. If hope the report is just wrong though. I'll wait until something more credible comes up to speculate

Even in the article that @Captain Kangaroo shared their coach made $400k in base pay plus an additional $250k in bonuses. That's $650k total so the same amount that Groce is making now. I'm pretty sure his contract is fully guaranteed so not sure if the university has any leverage to make him take a pay cut. That said perhaps they told him they will be reducing his staff budget and/or cut funding enough that he's not sure Akron will be able to compete moving forward. ETSU is a public school with even a smaller enrollment than Akron. It's not like they're immune to this covid-19 stuff. I can't see them making the same 7 figure offer that Duquesne did for Dambrot. 

24 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I'm thinking the latter and he's just letting them know he's got options. If hope the report is just wrong though. I'll wait until something more credible comes up to speculate

Now that I've calmed down...I think it's a warning shot to the administration.  This is John Groce.  He doesn't take any BS from anyone.  He's going to fight for his team and the program.  He's a gambler as we've seen on the playing court.  So on the flip side, I wouldn't expect him to take any crap from Miller or Williams.  The timing of this is just a bit too perfect.  

12 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Now that I've calmed down...I think it's a warning shot to the administration.  This is John Groce.  He doesn't take any BS from anyone.  He's going to fight for his team and the program.  He's a gambler as we've seen on the playing court.  So on the flip side, I wouldn't expect him to take any crap from Miller or Williams.  The timing of this is just a bit too perfect.  

Way more optimistic than me.  I understand it's important to have leverage with your employer, but I can't see this signaling anything other than terrible news coming down the line.  It does affirm that there was no way the Groce would ever be in this for the long hall (I had a tiny hope after the flameout at Illinois).

12 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

Way more optimistic than me.  I understand it's important to have leverage with your employer, but I can't see this signaling anything other than terrible news coming down the line.  It does affirm that there was no way the Groce would ever be in this for the long hall (I had a tiny hope after the flameout at Illinois).

Groce was never going to be here for 10+ years and if he was that would mean he'd have a Mr. Pinky like tenure, which I wouldn't want. Personally, I expected him to eventually leave for a job at a place like Depaul. I doubt he leaves for the ETSU job, but that would be a pretty big blow if he does. At least when Dambrot left for Duquesne he left for a better conference even though Duquesne really wasn't as good of a program at Akron at the time. The MAC top to bottom is better than the Socon although the top 3-4 teams in the Socon have been pretty good the past 2 years.

— If Groce leaves for another job, he would owe the Zips $1 million if he makes the move after only one year. The buyout goes down by $200,000 each year, meaning a move after his fourth season would call for a $400,000 payment to the university.

Hire someone like they did at Western Michigan and Akron immediately saves $800,000.

On the other hand:  https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Basketball/2020/05/05/Noland-to-ETSU-fans-Have-patience-in-coaching-search

Edited by NWAkron

14 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

That's the same position the program was in when Groce inherited it. It would probably be a slower rebuild next time as I doubt we'd spend to get someone who has the proven success that Groce does given out financial situation.

I just wonder what we'd get at the reduced rate of pay the new guy would get.  Lord knows we don't want this-

BATES_CLAYTON_AST__COACH.jpg

He's Adam Gase level crazy looking.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

53 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Funny how many gave me the side eye when i said I didn't want this guy 

1. Because I knew he would never be All IN
2. Because I didn't want Ohio U's table scraps. 

I hate to deprive you of your much wanted "I told you so" moment but it's a little premature.

59 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Funny how many gave me the side eye when i said I didn't want this guy 

1. Because I knew he would never be All IN
2. Because I didn't want Ohio U's table scraps. 

Shove it, Dre. ?

https://www.wjhl.com/sports/college-sports-2/etsu-bucs/source-etsu-to-hire-jason-shay-as-next-mens-basketball-head-coach/ 

BTW.  that was simply an ugly rumor someone floated on the internet to ... maybe interfere with recruiting?

Soooo how is it premature if Groce did indeed interview for the job. 

I could care less if he didn't get it. Like former 2 faced president Matthew Wilson its the principle that counts 

University as a whole going down in flames and many continue to be dulusional 

19 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Soooo how is it premature if Groce did indeed interview for the job. 

I could care less if he didn't get it. Like former 2 faced president Matthew Wilson its the principle that counts 

University as a whole going down in flames and many continue to be dulusional 

1.  Sorry, I need more than some vague internet report from a source I've never heard of. 

2.  He was "all in" enough to turn a steaming turd into MAC champions in 3 seasons.

3.  If it's "going down" in flames, who could blame him for keeping his options open?

4.  I am not D-E-L-U-S-I-O-N-A-L.

3 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

1.  Sorry, I need more than some vague internet report from a source I've never heard of. 

2.  He was "all in" enough to turn a steaming turd into MAC champions in 3 seasons.

3.  If it's "going down" in flames, who could blame him for keeping his options open?

4.  I am not D-E-L-U-S-I-O-N-A-L.

It started as a "vague" report when Matthew Wilson interviewed at other Universities. 

It's going down in flames because many refuse to hold people accountable for their actions. 

38 minutes ago, dre22era said:

It started as a "vague" report when Matthew Wilson interviewed at other Universities. 

It's going down in flames because many refuse to hold people accountable for their actions. 

Was Bob Huggins not accountable?  Caleb Porter?  Keith Dambrot?  

Thank you for your service.  I don't agree with your persistently negative stance, but thanks for being on the front line.

• Like 1