2020-2021 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

Greetings, all. Nice to look back through this thread and see someone talk crap about Groce being a bad hire still because the man cares about his career more than UA. Do everyone here a favor and stay the hell away from this program. Go cheer for Kent like you want to, if you're dying to cheer for complacency. Jackass. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Greetings, all. Nice to look back through this thread and see someone talk crap about Groce being a bad hire still because the man cares about his career more than UA. Do everyone here a favor and stay the hell away from this program. Go cheer for Kent like you want to, if you're dying to cheer for complacency. Jackass. 

Please stop being so subtle.

They yearn for Rob Senderoff's "loyalty" (AKA inability to do well enough to move on).

• Like 2

• Thanks 1

It's going to be interesting to see how they work out 20 conference games and no divisions.  I could see a lot of conference re-alignment in teams in conferences like the MAC.  Schools with be looking to limit travel.  As such, you could see teams on the outer edges of conferences, like NIU and Buffalo, look to move to conferences that involve less travel if one is available.

39 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'd hate to see us lose Buffalo (love to hate those guys).

On the other hand, I'd love to see us regain Marshall (love to hate those guys).

I'm not sure where Buffalo would go that made more geographic sense, especially for football.  The other close schools other than Syracuse don't have football or have it on a much smaller scale.  NIU on the other hand...

10 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm not sure where Buffalo would go that made more geographic sense, especially for football.  The other close schools other than Syracuse don't have football or have it on a much smaller scale.  NIU on the other hand...

What FBS conference is a better regional fit for NIU? 

7 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I was thinking more geographically than level.  One that would fit, though it is FCS, is the Missouri Valley. 

The private schools will never let NIU in. They would just be an extra mouth to feed and would be an anchor to a basketball conference that is wanting to return to being a multi-bid league.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article in today's Beacon about the beginnings of the University.  The best segment reads-

Trustees of the Ohio Universalist Convention gathered May 31, 1870, at the Summit County Courthouse to vote on a proposal to establish a school to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Universalist Church of the United States.

The trustees had already ruled out Kent after scouting the Portage County town and learning it had an “unpleasant reputation” of being ridden with malaria and typhoid fever.

Too damn funny.  Some things never change.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/news/20200531/local-history-let-there-be-buchtel-college

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Interesting article in today's Beacon about the beginnings of the University.  The best segment reads-

Trustees of the Ohio Universalist Convention gathered May 31, 1870, at the Summit County Courthouse to vote on a proposal to establish a school to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Universalist Church of the United States.

The trustees had already ruled out Kent after scouting the Portage County town and learning it had an “unpleasant reputation” of being ridden with malaria and typhoid fever.

Too damn funny.  Some things never change.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/news/20200531/local-history-let-there-be-buchtel-college

And they built it on top of the Spicer Cemetery?  Seems like a bad omen.

On 5/5/2020 at 5:06 PM, RowdyZip said:

Way more optimistic than me.  I understand it's important to have leverage with your employer, but I can't see this signaling anything other than terrible news coming down the line.  It does affirm that there was no way the Groce would ever be in this for the long hall (I had a tiny hope after the flameout at Illinois).

It may just be dulusionalism on my part, but I'm nominating this post for the ZipsNation Haul of Fame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

There are also some videos on YouTube thanking donors and various athletes and coaches including Groce.