2020-2021 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

On 9/11/2020 at 10:27 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

Sounds like our Canadian friends may be down a player this season as one of their players stabbed a Canisius player during a pickup game.  Nice.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29863867/buffalo-basketball-player-malik-zachery-charged-stabbing-canisius-player-scrimmage

The more interesting story is down the page.   ACC wants all D1 teams to be in the tournament.

On 9/11/2020 at 10:27 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

Sounds like our Canadian friends may be down a player this season as one of their players stabbed a Canisius player during a pickup game.  Nice.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29863867/buffalo-basketball-player-malik-zachery-charged-stabbing-canisius-player-scrimmage

Malik should be back by the time the basketball season begins; after all he only stabbed the guy in the leg.

And he was provoked as the other player had committed a charge.

I quote from the link you posted, Malik "was charged".

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NWAkron said:

The more interesting story is down the page.   ACC wants all D1 teams to be in the tournament.

I would like to know the behind the scenes with this suggestion/request. How does the ACC - a conference that already gets half the league into the tourney - benefit from this?

3 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I would like to know the behind the scenes with this suggestion/request. How does the ACC - a conference that already gets half the league into the tourney - benefit from this?

Maybe they figure they could get all of their teams in and would benefit from some home tournament games given how it would have to be structured.

On 9/13/2020 at 8:16 AM, NWAkron said:

If everybody gets in, what's the point of the regular season? 

Signed, National Basketball Association

On 9/14/2020 at 11:22 AM, clarkwgriswold said:

Maybe they figure they could get all of their teams in and would benefit from some home tournament games given how it would have to be structured.

Ah. Good point. That would make a lot of sense. 

On 9/14/2020 at 2:17 PM, Blue & Gold said:

Not to take away from Jermaine Marshall, but did anyone else notice the Garvin Clarke highlight at the end? He seemed to be pretty comfortable with the DI speed of the game in that clip. I'm pretty excited for this team, but 2019-20 will still have a special place in my heart. 

• Like 4

On 9/14/2020 at 5:55 PM, Illini Zip said:

I think I just watched that video 20 times and stopped it 100. I loved last year's team - no doubt, but it's fun to see the new comers as well. Go Zips!!

And I think he says his celebrity crush is Lauren London. Is that right??

I thought he said Laura Linney!  Now that would be good!

• Like 1

Roster sorted by Position/Height. Class also included.

Guard

Loren Christian Jackson 5'8" - SR

Scott Walter 5'10" - SO

Garvin Clarke 6'0" - FR

Greg Tribble 6'1" - SO

Bryan Trimble Jr. 6'2" - JR

Mikal Dawson 6'5" - SO

LePear Toles 6'6" - SR

Tre Edwards 6'6" - RFR

Michael Wynn 6'6" - JR

Forward

Jermaine Marshall 6'6" - SO

Maishe Dailey 6'7" - SR

Camron Reece 6'7" - SR

Enrique Freeman 6'7" - SO

Ali Ali 6'8" - SO

Taylor Currie 6'8" - SO

Center

Aziz Bandaogo 7'0" - FR

Some observations/thoughts...

- I forgot about Trimble and Wynn. Trimble is eligible after sitting out last year when he transferred from St. John's. Is Wynn sitting out this year after transferring from Wake Forest?

- We are big and physical at Guard, with speed/quickness between Clarke and LCJ. 

- Speaking of Clarke, I think he'll be a phenomenal backup PG, even as a freshman. 

- Our 2 guard is LOADED with Dawson, Tribble, and Trimble (Wynn, too, if he's eligible, and I don't know much about Edwards). We will be creating a lot of matchup-nightmares for opponents at Guard. 

- Forward is the unknown with this squad. I think Dailey is the obvious pick to step into the leadership role for not only this position group, but the team as a whole (along with LCJ). Marshall and Reece will have to play bigger than their height (we've seen that already with Reece). Currie could be the key. 

- Aziz, I think, will have an easy job this year: simply develop. We've seen how dangerous this team can be when they go "small" and athletic, so I don't think we'll need to rely on a true-freshman 7 footer for TOO much. Having him for 4 years could be awesome. 

I think the Depth Chart looks like this...

PG - LCJ/Clarke/Tribble

2G - Tribble/Trimble/Dawson/Edwards/Toles

SF - Dailey/Reece/Ali/Marshall/Freeman

PF - Reece/Currie/Marshall

C - Currie/Reece/Aziz

* If Wynn is eligible, plug him into the middle of the 2G and SF slots. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Roster sorted by Position/Height. Class also included.

Guard

Loren Christian Jackson 5'8" - SR

Scott Walter 5'10" - SO

Garvin Clarke 6'0" - FR

Greg Tribble 6'1" - SO

Bryan Trimble Jr. 6'2" - JR

Mikal Dawson 6'5" - SO

LePear Toles 6'6" - SR

Tre Edwards 6'6" - RFR

Michael Wynn 6'6" - JR

Forward

Jermaine Marshall 6'6" - SO

Maishe Dailey 6'7" - SR

Camron Reece 6'7" - SR

Enrique Freeman 6'7" - SO

Ali Ali 6'8" - SO

Taylor Currie 6'8" - SO

Center

Aziz Bandaogo 7'0" - FR

Some observations/thoughts...

- I forgot about Trimble and Wynn. Trimble is eligible after sitting out last year when he transferred from St. John's. Is Wynn sitting out this year after transferring from Wake Forest?

- We are big and physical at Guard, with speed/quickness between Clarke and LCJ. 

- Speaking of Clarke, I think he'll be a phenomenal backup PG, even as a freshman. 

- Our 2 guard is LOADED with Dawson, Tribble, and Trimble (Wynn, too, if he's eligible, and I don't know much about Edwards). We will be creating a lot of matchup-nightmares for opponents at Guard. 

- Forward is the unknown with this squad. I think Dailey is the obvious pick to step into the leadership role for not only this position group, but the team as a whole (along with LCJ). Marshall and Reece will have to play bigger than their height (we've seen that already with Reece). Currie could be the key. 

- Aziz, I think, will have an easy job this year: simply develop. We've seen how dangerous this team can be when they go "small" and athletic, so I don't think we'll need to rely on a true-freshman 7 footer for TOO much. Having him for 4 years could be awesome. 

I think the Depth Chart looks like this...

PG - LCJ/Clarke/Tribble

2G - Tribble/Trimble/Dawson/Edwards/Toles

SF - Dailey/Reece/Ali/Marshall/Freeman

PF - Reece/Currie/Marshall

C - Currie/Reece/Aziz

* If Wynn is eligible, plug him into the middle of the 2G and SF slots. 

Nice job of summing that all up.  I could see Trimble in the starting five with Tribble coming off of the bench but playing big minutes at both guard spots. We could see some three guard lineups with LCJ, Tribble and Trimble (this Tribble/Trimble thing is going to make us nuts.  Poor Steve French).   I see Reece more as the center as he'll play closer to the basket while Currie can move outside and shoot.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Nice job of summing that all up.  I could see Trimble in the starting five with Tribble coming off of the bench but playing big minutes at both guard spots. We could see some three guard lineups with LCJ, Tribble and Trimble (this Tribble/Trimble thing is going to make us nuts.  Poor Steve French).   I see Reece more as the center as he'll play closer to the basket while Currie can move outside and shoot.

Substituting Trimble for Reece at the SF spot is probably the move. I debated it, but at 6'2", I don't know if Trimble will match up too well at Forward very often. His speed and strength should negate any size difference, though, so I think you're right about Trimble at Forward when going small. I also agree with Reece at Center. I forgot about Currie's shooting ability. 

Just a few more basketball players and we will have enough to field a football team.

I don't know if Ron Behagen has any eligibility left and he has to be over 60 years old, but he is the best kicker I ever saw on a basketball team. Our basketball/football team could use him.

Edited by Zipmeister