2020-2021 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Looks like Miami is all twisted up about Nike Sabande's attempted transfer to Pitt-

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30042106/nike-sibande-case-shines-light-ncaa-broken-transfer-waiver-system

Its tragic because after they upset Canada in first round, they really had a chance in Cleveland?

• Sad 1

Email from UA ticketing this evening-

Good evening Zips Basketball Fans/Season ticket holders!

Akron Zips men’s basketball season is rapidly approaching and we are committed to keeping our season ticket holders and fans updated as it pertains to attending games and cheering on the blue and gold at James A. Rhodes Arena. The safety of our student-athletes, coaches, and Zips Nation is of the utmost importance. In that spirit and with the guidance of health officials, we recognize there will be a reduced capacity for spectators at all home contests this season. We have finalized our plan for spectators and invite you to read more about the process by visiting this link.

In the coming days you will see additional information become available on social media and directly to your mailbox. Please review this information and contact me directly should you have any questions.

Thank you for your continued support for Akron Men’s Basketball – we look forward to seeing you soon. Go Zips!

Regards,

Adam O’Connell

Director of Ticket Operations

Details from the link-

AKRON, Ohio – Akron Zips men's basketball season is rapidly approaching and we are committed to keeping our season ticket holders and fans updated as it pertains to attending games and cheering on the blue and gold at James A. Rhodes Arena.

The safety of our student-athletes, coaches, and Zips Nation is of the utmost importance. In that spirit and with the guidance of health officials, we recognize there will be a reduced capacity for spectators at all home contests this season.

To accommodate those season ticket holders who want to attend games this season, we have developed a ticket lottery system that will serve as a fair and equitable process for distributing the limited number of tickets available.

First, all home contests will be pre-packaged into sets of mini plans. Season ticket holders who wish to enter the lottery and are selected will have the opportunity to select one of these mini plans.

To allow season ticket holders the opportunity to improve their lottery standing, annual giving levels and priority point balances will be finalized on November 6, 2020. After standings are finalized, season ticket holders will be assigned a date and time to make their package and seat selections. We anticipate this date to be approximately 15 days prior to the season tip-off.

Each season ticket holder selected in the lottery will be permitted to choose quantities of mini plans up to the number of season tickets renewed on their account. Should there be ticket availability remaining after all lottery selections have been made, a second round of lottery selections will be initiated.

As we anticipate competition this winter, we are also working towards an arena reseating for the 2021-22 season. All season ticket holders who renew their seats for the 2020-21 season or convert their support to a 100% tax-deductible charitable contribution will be exempt from the reseating process. This will ensure you have the opportunity to upgrade or maintain seat location for the 2021-22 season. 

Please email tickets@uakron.edu for more information or to get connected to your representative today.

Translation- better your odds by giving us more money.  I'm think my $65 GA tickets aren't going to get me much.  EPSN+ here I come.

57 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Details from the link-

AKRON, Ohio – Akron Zips men's basketball season is rapidly approaching and we are committed to keeping our season ticket holders and fans updated as it pertains to attending games and cheering on the blue and gold at James A. Rhodes Arena.

The safety of our student-athletes, coaches, and Zips Nation is of the utmost importance. In that spirit and with the guidance of health officials, we recognize there will be a reduced capacity for spectators at all home contests this season.

To accommodate those season ticket holders who want to attend games this season, we have developed a ticket lottery system that will serve as a fair and equitable process for distributing the limited number of tickets available.

First, all home contests will be pre-packaged into sets of mini plans. Season ticket holders who wish to enter the lottery and are selected will have the opportunity to select one of these mini plans.

To allow season ticket holders the opportunity to improve their lottery standing, annual giving levels and priority point balances will be finalized on November 6, 2020. After standings are finalized, season ticket holders will be assigned a date and time to make their package and seat selections. We anticipate this date to be approximately 15 days prior to the season tip-off.

Each season ticket holder selected in the lottery will be permitted to choose quantities of mini plans up to the number of season tickets renewed on their account. Should there be ticket availability remaining after all lottery selections have been made, a second round of lottery selections will be initiated.

As we anticipate competition this winter, we are also working towards an arena reseating for the 2021-22 season. All season ticket holders who renew their seats for the 2020-21 season or convert their support to a 100% tax-deductible charitable contribution will be exempt from the reseating process. This will ensure you have the opportunity to upgrade or maintain seat location for the 2021-22 season. 

Please email tickets@uakron.edu for more information or to get connected to your representative today.

Translation- better your odds by giving us more money.  I'm think my $65 GA tickets aren't going to get me much.  EPSN+ here I come.

that sure doesn't make a lot of sense. so frustrating.

11 hours ago, LZIp said:

so we can have fans inside in a small basketball arena but not outside in a football stadium...got it.

If we don't allow fans at football games, we have an excuse for not having fans at football games. It's genius. 

Akron Football - Social Distancing Before It Was Cool.

Now that's a slogan. 

Any update(s) on the schedule? Any rumblings? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just really damn disappointing across the board.  I looked at the basketball season as something in the distance that's promise helped us all through the isolation of the COVID mess.  A chance to get out and return to normalcy.  With this policy and the COVID numbers again peaking, it's very clear that's not going to be the case and I'll be sitting my living room watching the games instead of there with the energy of the crowd.  I never fathomed that when I shipped off the check for my tickets months ago that we'd end up here.

I don't know how Groce and the staff will survive without my input from the stands. 

P.S.-  this post should not be interpreted as an invitation to a COVID policy debate. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 8:28 PM, LZIp said:

so we can have fans inside in a small basketball arena but not outside in a football stadium...got it.

I spoke to a colleague of mine from Germany this morning. He told me about the recent ramp-up of Covid cases across Europe. The prevailing theories for the sharp up-tick are the colder weather, where more people are now indoors. And students returning to school and having parties.

If true, it makes having public-attended indoor events on a college campus somewhat unlikely this winter. We'll see how it plays-out.

2 minutes ago, infofan said:

Is anyone else shocked by UA letting go Steve French and replacing him with Dave Skoczen? No offense to Dave but doesn’t 30plus years of doing zips games deserve a retirement goodbye?

Man.  If true he definitely deserves an open house/party.  Where did you see/hear this?

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'll miss Frenchy.  Maybe it's just familiarity but I do like him.  I can also always tell in about two seconds how the game is going from the tone of his voice.

Yeah, but that made him really hard to listen to.  Are we sure he was replaced or maybe its something else going on?

I liked Frenchy. He bled blue and gold and that made up for his announcing shortcomings. If he is gone he deserves a night of recognition at the JAR or in a big bar. 

• Like 3