2020-2021 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

23 hours ago, Spin said:

So basically as long as this virus BS continues, walk-up fans are screwed. 

Well that's not a very good Social Distancing policy... (insert the vintage tomato-hitting-the-face emoji)

Laugh, people. It's good for the soul. Go Zips!

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/21/2020 at 12:32 PM, Spin said:

So basically as long as this virus BS continues, walk-up fans are screwed. 

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Well that's not a very good Social Distancing policy... (insert the vintage tomato-hitting-the-face emoji)

Laugh, people. It's good for the soul. Go Zips!

Well, that would be one way to increase attendance ?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Another likable kid.  When you see things like this it is easy to understand why they enjoy each other so much.  So much different than that hastily assembled squad in Groce's first year.   It also makes it clear that chemistry is something Groce looks at in putting together a team.

As I recall, Wynn is not eligible this year due to the transfer rules.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I'm not upset with playing MTSU. Jermaine Marshall will be familiar with the area, too. 

Is this a round-robin style tournament? Or just these singular games across 3 days?

Go to this link and scroll down to discover the answer to your questions (or at least what the organizers hope will occur).

http://gulfcoastshowcase.com/

4 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Go to this link and scroll down to discover the answer to your questions (or at least what the organizers hope will occur).

http://gulfcoastshowcase.com/

That was more my question. It doesn't appear that the site has been updated to reflect this year's field, and although it reflects the COVID attendance changes, I wasn't sure if they changed the format or not. 

I was looking at Duquesne's forum, and it looks like they were added to Louisville's "bubble". Are there any other P5 schools in our region doing a "bubble"?

5 hours ago, Spin said:

Wait, the MAC doesn't want teams to play non-con games, but is OK with a tournament? Is that because there will be a bubble?

I don't think the MAC has said that there can't be nonconference games. Toledo released their nonconference schedule last week and it has multiple home and away games. https://utrockets.com/news/2020/10/27/mens-basketball-rockets-finalize-non-conference-schedule.aspx

10 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

So disappointing. He's pretty much just taken up a roster spot for his career.

Allow me to clarify something. Toles was initially a scholarship player, but is now a walk-on. So he is not taking up one of the 13 scholarships. What is disappointing is he appears to be a really good guy/talent and he was looking forward to playing for his local team. I am glad he is able to stay involved with the team to some degree, but some us really would love to see him suit up at some point.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

Allow me to clarify something. Toles was initially a scholarship player, but is now a walk-on. So he is not taking up one of the 13 scholarships. What is disappointing is he appears to be a really good guy/talent and he was looking forward to playing for his local team. I am glad he is able to stay involved with the team to some degree, but some us really would love to see him suit up at some point.

As I understand it he can't get clearance to play due to a back condition, but he's a great kid with a great attitude that they want to keep around for his and the team's sake.  Somebody closer to the program may have better info.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

As I understand it he can't get clearance to play due to a back condition, but he's a great kid with a great attitude that they want to keep around for his and the team's sake.  Somebody closer to the program may have better info.

That pretty much sums up the situation with Pear. Great guy.

• Like 2