2020-2021 Akron Zips Basketball- Looking Forward

It's official. Cedarville on the 12th, St. Bonnie on the 15th, then MAC play starting with PCCC on the 19th.

Pathetic. Legitimately pissed at how unprepared the program was for this schedule wise, when other MAC schools have their crap together and are playing teams like Michigan and Illinois on national TV. 

14 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

It's official. Cedarville on the 12th, St. Bonnie on the 15th, then MAC play starting with PCCC on the 19th.

I'm not saying they needed 8 or 10 non-conference games, but would 4 games have been asking too much?  Our first three conference games are going to be tough.  It would have been nice to have a few more games to work out rotations, minutes, etc. prior to our conference schedule.

21 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Pathetic. Legitimately pissed at how unprepared the program was for this schedule wise, when other MAC schools have their crap together and are playing teams like Michigan and Illinois on national TV. 

exactly.  was just going to post that St B and Marshall games were merely postponed meanwhile the other teams are rolling along.  Please, Toledo even has a game with Cleveland State today.

Hell, Kent is at UVA, and at Detroit before having NKU at home.  My guess is that Groce didn't want to risk traveling and not for the COVID break out they would have played. MTSU and Marshall.  But even before the breakout they were struggling to find teams to play

Edited by NWAkron

8 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Did you guys miss the part where the team had to shut down due to a covid outbreak?

Right.  The team had to take a 2-week break because apparently someone on the team or staff tested positive (full disclosure: there was never an official announcement, so I'm just guessing).  We were scheduled to compete in the Gulf Coast Classic but had to pull out.  

We're behind the curve now when it comes to MAC play & will have to catch up.  Could be a rough start to conference play.

Btw, why would the MAC schedule us to play Kent as our first game.  Just kinda weird, no?

Another btw, I'm glad we're going to get to play Toledo twice this year.  Should be that way every year (and football).

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

Did you guys miss the part where the team had to shut down due to a covid outbreak?

I get that, but I would have like to have seen another game or two in between when the break ends and the kent game - if that was possible.

Edited by zipsrule

They were never going to Florida.  That was all wishful thinking.  

I am disappointed as hell that there haven't been games but appreciate the caution that's being demonstrated.  I don't want our basketball season in another month or two to be where the NFL is now, so I will begrudgingly wait.

8 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Thanks for the voice of experience and reason.  Hope you are feeling better.

I have been over COVID since early April but like many many others I have developed a medical condition PROBABLY as a result of COVID that I am dealing with. Thankfully it is not life threatening and not disabling and is treatable.

But this virus is no joke. The latest figures indicate the mortality rate here in NY is way way down, for unknown reasons since the infection rate has tripled recently. But the long term effects are real, people don't generally recover from the flu and discover it has caused other problems.

So I have to support their decisions if it helps stop the spread. Some of what the politicians have done is just plain wrong, COVID is not less infectious in Walmart than in Church.

And it is not more infectious at a Trump rally than at an Antifa riot.

That being said, losing a basketball season sucks, but it won't change our lives (for the players, that is another matter, but the good of 12 or 13 people does not replace the needs of the population as  whole).

And cut the crap and get the vaccine out there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zippy5 said:

My complaint originates before the shutdown. They didn't have a schedule set besides the Florida tourney. There were rumors, but nothing official. It would be one thing if they would've had the Florida tourney (average at best mid major tourney) and let's say 2-3 games scheduled that were cancelled, but they didn't even have that. To boot, we're risking injuries in a weird year, against Cedarville as one of our 2 non-conference games. Weak. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

My complaint originates before the shutdown. They didn't have a schedule set besides the Florida tourney. There were rumors, but nothing official. It would be one thing if they would've had the Florida tourney (average at best mid major tourney) and let's say 2-3 games scheduled that were cancelled, but they didn't even have that. To boot, we're risking injuries in a weird year, against Cedarville as one of our 2 non-conference games. Weak. 

Well there was that Ohio State game that just disappeared.

5 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Cedarville is better than most of the "D1" bunnies the Zips normally start the season with.

2 hours ago, gozips19 said:

You'd figure the release would mention whether or not any fans could attend? Why hold it in Cleveland if there are no fans allowed?

5 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Kent/Miami upcoming football game is cancelled.  So Miami may only have 4 games.

Hopefully, the basketball teams can keep it together once conference play begins.

That's the problem with allowing fans to games.  These games could be cancelled at the last minute, etc.

The games being canceled has nothing to with whether or not fans are allowed to be in attendance. 

13 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

The games being canceled has nothing to with whether or not fans are allowed to be in attendance. 

Thats not what I was saying.   A side note to having no fans is that games can be cancelled at last moment without having to deal with fans and refunds, etc.