Class of '21 Verbal Commits

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

That kid is a player.  Against Hoban he looked like the one kid on the SVSM team that looked like he could play for Hoban.  Romeo Travis is his uncle so there's certainly a nice UA history with the family.  He's also a top notch sprinter and a starter on SVSM's basketball team.

• Like 1

S.L. McCall is someone who can come in and compete immediately on the DL. One of the levels getting immediate help. Now lets get a LB and DB transfer as well.

I may be missing some, but Bauer, Morgan, Burney, and Mumpfield stick out to me as people who haven't sent in LOI yet. I would be disappointed if Mumpfield didn't sign. I also wonder if they want to use one of the two scholly's allocated to Bauer/Morgan for a transfer instead. Get as many early enrollees in hear as you can to hit the weight room and playbook and increase their chances of contributing next season.

Edited by LZIp

Happy with the talent we brought in today. I have one concern. We only have 3 Ohio recruits so far. What happened to the recruiting from Ohio approach that was promised by Arth and Co? They have said several times that Akron would be recruiting more than ever from Northeast Ohio/ Ohio. 

48 minutes ago, LZIp said:

S.L. McCall is someone who can come in and compete immediately on the DL. One of the levels getting immediate help. Now lets get a LB and DB transfer as well.

I may be missing some, but Bauer, Morgan, Burney, and Mumpfield stick out to me as people who haven't sent in LOI yet. I would be disappointed if Mumpfield  didn't sign. I also wonder if they want to use one of the two scholly's allocated to Bauer/Morgan for a transfer instead. Get as many early enrollees in hear as you can to hit the weight room and playbook and increase their chances of contributing next season.

McCall actually came out of H.S. as an OLB.  I am curious if he will play that position since we have some DE's with similar size to him.  Thanks again for repeating my wishes for JUCO's or transfers.  

In addition to the players listed above, what about: Reese, Malott, Seibert, P. Hawkins, Durant and the transfers: Inloes and Mack.  We are missing two OL and a large DL in the list.  I would not be disappointed if Morgan and Burney do not sign.  I know we still have time, but at this point, I am disappointed with the list if this is the final version.  

13 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Initial post updated with who has and has not signed.

We need to have P. Hawkins sign.  He was highly rated and his film looked great.  His signing will help keep a good pipeline of offensive linemen.  Also, I hope that Reese signs.  He is a large developmental DL that should be very good in a year or two with time in the weight room.  

9 minutes ago, John Ward said:

Little apprehensive about this. A young man with this kind of size fits the eye test for a power 5 team and his high school is ranked nationally.I love the Zips but why us? Other offers?

247 reports Illinois State and Youngstown state as his only other offers.  

Maybe the football gods will start making Akron look good by signing good players.  

36 minutes ago, bigjim said:

We need to have P. Hawkins sign.  He was highly rated and his film looked great.  His signing will help keep a good pipeline of offensive linemen.  Also, I hope that Reese signs.  He is a large developmental DL that should be very good in a year or two with time in the weight room.  

I bet Hawkins will be a walk on. His tweet was carefully worded. I don't see where he was highly rated, nor where he had an offer from anyone else. Reese didn't seem to do much at all this year. Agree to disagree on him. He's one of the commits i'm least excited about.

Edited by LZIp

3 hours ago, bigjim said:

McCall actually came out of H.S. as an OLB.  I am curious if he will play that position since we have some DE's with similar size to him.  Thanks again for repeating my wishes for JUCO's or transfers.  

In addition to the players listed above, what about: Reese, Malott, Seibert, P. Hawkins, Durant and the transfers: Inloes and Mack.  We are missing two OL and a large DL in the list.  I would not be disappointed if Morgan and Burney do not sign.  I know we still have time, but at this point, I am disappointed with the list if this is the final version.  

Tyriq Mack CB plays for Nevada

https://gozips.com/news/2020/12/16/akron-football-unveils-talented-17-member-2021-signing-class.aspx

We just may have a chance to get up to the vaunted 85 scholarship limit this year. Currently at 79 with the potential to add 8 more if (based on signings thus far) if a few more transfer which is likely to happen. Keep in mind I have no clue how the opt out/ineligible players count towards any of this, but I'd fill those 6 spots, in no order, with:

1) Transfer TE since we unexpectedly lost Wolfley. Brank/Yarmo played and didn't stick out as being a liability, but I'm in favor of experienced competition there.

2) Transfer DL - need to upgrade somewhere there if we can.

3) Transfer CB - Need an immediate contributor that can push/beat our current starters.

4) Freshman CB - only signed one, not much depth there IMO. I see Roach and Lewis playing S.

5) RB - need a freshman RB every year.

6) Transfer OL - our current unit may end up being very good in a few years, but I think we need some depth that can step in immediately and/or challenge for a starting spot. Relying on a bunch of freshman is risky.

7-8 if available, i'd say should be used to replace whoever leaves. Can be true fresh or transfer depending on need. I would really like to upgrade the ILB spot next to Bubba. Unsure if injuries/COVID made that area look worse than it was this year or what. Also right now we have 39 freshman or redshirt freshman on the roster, with it being quite likely that number will increase.Zips Football Scholarship Chart.xlsx

Edited by LZIp

I felt that with a competent QB, we would have had 1000% better O this year.  Our 2 signees could be #1 & 2 in the fall.  Jankowski will be here for spring practice?  And Irons will play his JUCO season in the spring.  As LZip said, I would use those 6 or 8 Scholarships to fill some holes with transfers or JUCO's.  Also welcome some more walk ons(Freeman!).

• Like 1