Class of '21 Verbal Commits

24 minutes ago, Ham said:

I felt that with a competent QB, we would have had 1000% better O this year.  Our 2 signees could be #1 & 2 in the fall.  Jankowski will be here for spring practice?  And Irons will play his JUCO season in the spring.  As LZip said, I would use those 6 or 8 Scholarships to fill some holes with transfers or JUCO's.  Also welcome some more walk ons(Freeman!).

I hope both Irons and Jankowski will be here for spring ball. Jankowski should be without a doubt, if not already enrolled. I don’t see any benefit for Irons playing JUCO in the spring. He’d be better served getting in our system ASAP. 

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Class is composed of nine 3-star and seven 2-star prospects.

3-star

Jasaiah Gathings: 3-star WR

Rishad Hence: 3-star DB

DJ Irons: 3-star QB

Gavin Mallott: 3-star OL

S.L. McCall: 3-star LB

Konata Mumpfield: 3-star WR

Noel Roach: 3-star DB

Oran Singleton: 3-star ATH

Myles Walker: 3-star WR

2-star

Bennett Adler: 2-star DE

Luke Bauer: 2-star LB

Ryan Jankowski: 2-star QB

Darrian Lewis: 2-star DB

Colin Lyons: 2-star OL

Andre Proffitt: 2-star DL

Rey'Noi Summersett: 2-star LB

Not Rated

Matthew Monoghan: TE (from England)

Edited by Blue & Gold

Signing day is always a day of fun and anticipation with the new players that will help the team reach new heights.  My first thoughts are that I am disappointed in this recruiting class.  There are some good players in this class, but it does not possess the breath of a good class and many recruits had only one option, which was Akron.  Also, there was a great document put out on GOZIPS that makes the recruits looks great.  However, there are several players listed as 3 star, but when you go into 247, it does not show them as 3 starts but as 2 or no stars.  With that said, here is a breakdown of the recruits by the various position groups.

DL - Adler and Proffitt, Zips picked up 2 DL that can add depth.  Adler is listed at 260 lb, after being listed at 230 in all previous reports.  He will bring a good DE to the team and should see some PT as a freshman.  Proffitt is a big run stuffing DT that should add depth to a very young DL.  I am still hoping for a JUCO or transfer for 1-2 years to help Akron succeed next year.  

LB - I feel good about this group.  Akron needed some depth at this position, and it looks like it got some good players.  Bauer is an ILB.  McCall and Summersett are two OLB with good size.  Both may see some PT in their first year.  McCall is a JUCO with experience and should be able to step in and play right away.

DB - Hence, Lewis, and Roach.  We got 3 DBs to add depth to probably one of the weak groups on the team.  I am still hoping for a JUCO or transfer with experience to help the transition.

OL - Lyons and Mallott.  Akron was playing 4 red shirt freshman and a freshman Williams.  it also has two other highly rated freshman.  Adding these two players gives the Zips a lot of youth and potential for years to come.  Both have good credentials, and Mallott is huge at 6 9 and 330 lbs.  In 2022, we should have a great OL

TE - Monaghan - Do not know much about him or if he even played football.  However, our TE  position is pretty thin.  Brank looked good at times, but he was young.  Akron does a poor job of utilizing tight ends, so I would just keep developing this position with Branks and Yarmo.

QB- Irons and Jankowski.  Akron now has 4 young QBs to challenge for the starting position, including Gibson and Marousek.  AS I stated in a past post, watching the tape, Marousek looked very good.  Irons and Jankowski have great backgrounds, so let the competition begin.

RB - none, but with Dollard, Norrils, and Childs from last year, we should be good in 2021.  Need a RB recruit next year.

WR - Gathings, Mumpfield, Walker, Singleton (?), we are adding depth to the currently good position group.  Akron had several receivers step up this year, and we will continue to be solid, even with the transfers.

In summary, we added depth at most position groups, and the talent level will show if it is truly good.  I am still hoping that we can get some JUCO's or transfers between now and the late signing period to make an impact next year and get to 4-5 wins in 2021.  As players step up, there will be several that are left behind.  I expect the transfer portal to get very busy with many of these young players that will not see playing time.  Go Zips.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

3-star

2-star

Not Rated

I am curious what organization or group gave out all of the 3 star ratings.  247 sports only has 2 of the Akron recruits listed as 3 star.  Please advise.  

44 minutes ago, bigjim said:

I am curious what organization or group gave out all of the 3 star ratings.  247 sports only has 2 of the Akron recruits listed as 3 star.  Please advise.  

No idea.  I was just relaying what was stated in the press release.

Edited by Blue & Gold

42 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Better recheck 247. They have the 28 Zip recruits ranked as the 10th best class of the MAC; ahead of Ohio and Buffalo. And believe it or not 17 of the 28 are ranked as 3 stars!!

They may have been looking at rivals, scout, 247, or even espn to get those star ratings. I personally put the most weight on 247 as they are the most detailed. With that said, its not worth talking a lot about stars at this point, as many of our players aren't even rated. Not rated =/= zero star, just means it hasn't been done yet. Many of our signings aren't even showing yet.

7 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Wrong year.

Damn, your right. I'm going to blame it on my computer. I was looking at the national rankings on 247 for 2021 but when I switched to the MAC I failed to notice that for an unknown reason (certainly not operator error) it switched to 2020.

5 minutes ago, LZIp said:

They may have been looking at rivals, scout, 247, or even espn to get those star ratings. I personally put the most weight on 247 as they are the most detailed. With that said, its not worth talking a lot about stars at this point, as many of our players aren't even rated. Not rated =/= zero star, just means it hasn't been done yet. Many of our signings aren't even showing yet.

I don't think Rivals even tracks the MAC. You don't suppose the staff just made up those numbers so their recruiting effort didn't look so pathetic compared to the rest of the MAC?

I don't know what to think of this class. Priority #1 was to improve at QB. I believe they did that. But I'm not sure about priorities # 2 & #3, DL and DB. We can't get much worse there so we can only go up, but I did not see immediate help. I'm with those of you urging Arth & Company to go the transfer/Grad student/JUCO route. I have no inside knowledge, but I believe he will do that. He has scholarships left. If we are to get to 4-5 wins next season he has to bring in immediate help. The fun thing about signing day is that hope is given to all fans. We need it.

9 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Haul out another asterisk; according to the Dayton Daily News, Morgan has signed with the Zips.

What, pray tell O wise one, is the meaning of the asterisk?

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

3-star

2-star

Not Rated

Not sure what to make of the list because I don't believe in the stars and the recruiting class rankings. Instead, I'll share a few thoughts and observations based on the info for each player that was available via GoZips.com:

1) It seems there wasn't much interest from other MAC schools in these recruits.

2) Arth and company beat out some other strong programs for these players though.

3) The academic accomplishments of this signing class are impressive.

4) On "paper" this seems like a great class of true scholar-athletes.

5) If this talent can be coached up and combined with a dynamic game plan, the program could turn around quickly. Next season will be very telling.

6) One recruit wants to major in architecture and another in architectural engineering. Good for them, but does UA offer those programs?

Edited by UAZipster0305

1 hour ago, UAZipster0305 said:

Not sure what to make of the list because I don't believe in the stars and the recruiting class rankings. Instead, I'll share a few thoughts and observations based on the info for each player that was available via GoZips.com:

1) It seems there wasn't much interest from other MAC schools in these recruits.

2) Arth and company beat out some other strong programs for these players though.

3) The academic accomplishments of this signing class are impressive.

4) On "paper" this seems like a great class of true scholar-athletes.

5) If this talent can be coached up and combined with a dynamic game plan, the program could turn around quickly. Next season will be very telling.

6) One recruit wants to major in architecture and another in architectural engineering. Good for them, but does UA offer those programs?

If the programs mentioned in 6) aren't offered by Akron, this would call the academic acumen alluded to in 4) of these two scholar-athletes into question.

• Haha 1