Class of '21 Verbal Commits

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep an eye out on this guy. Director of Recruiting liked this tweet and we have about 5 Zips coaches already following him, and from what I can tell we didn't recruit him out of HS. Have not noticed this type of activity from the staff on other transfer portal recruits in the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

HAM with all due respect we had 4 Freshman OL (3 started their 1st games of their careers)  that provided zero time for our QB to throw.  When given time the QB was pretty accurate.   In due time those Freshman will mature into hopefully a great unit.   The competition for QB will be very heated next Spring with Gibson (Freshman still) Kato (senior) back and Irons (Juco) transferring in.  Jankowski may be the discussion as well.  DeShields and Marousek will also add to the competition.   Should be a fun spring.   

Edited by ZIPFAN21
Spelling

Zipfan21, there is some fault with lack of protection.  Failure to pick up blitzers was a problem, but that extra rusher left a hole for a hot reciever. There is no way to competently evaluate performance from our couch; so like everyone else here, I'm just spouting opinions.  That green O-line blocked for a 1st team RB.  Sure there were some drops, but everyone has some.  I believe improved QB performance will make a big difference for us.  Keeping the defense off the field longer being big.  I also think producing more wins next year really falls on the D.  If there is a statistic for D forcing 3&outs and punts, I think we could be on the bottom.  Can the staff bring in some help or coach up what we have to make a difference?  We will know this time next year.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ham said:

Zipfan21, there is some fault with lack of protection.  Failure to pick up blitzers was a problem, but that extra rusher left a hole for a hot reciever. There is no way to competently evaluate performance from our couch; so like everyone else here, I'm just spouting opinions.  That green O-line blocked for a 1st team RB.  Sure there were some drops, but everyone has some.  I believe improved QB performance will make a big difference for us.  Keeping the defense off the field longer being big.  I also think producing more wins next year really falls on the D.  If there is a statistic for D forcing 3&outs and punts, I think we could be on the bottom.  Can the staff bring in some help or coach up what we have to make a difference?  We will know this time next year.

This is an excellent point. Not to analyze in a recruiting thread too much, a lot of those bad sacks and quick sacks are avoidable through QB play and coaching. I believe getting rid of the football, whether throwing it out of bounds or to somebody is very important. In addition, if the defense is stacking the box and getting to the QB quickly, add another RB to block. Or draw up a quick route through the middle or take a shot on a deep ball in the case of a safety being pulled up. I remember in the game at Louisiana in 2015 Akron had I think first down at their own 30. LA blitzed the safety, Woodson got the snap and immediately threw it over the top as he was getting hit and Jerome Lane beat his man at the line and was gone. While the roster isn't up to that standard yet, there were far too many of those sacks given up this year, even having improved upon that from the unwatchable 2019 offense.

Keep in mind our coach played QB in the NFL and other professional football for a number of years, even had the opportunity to learn behind one of the all time greats in that. I'm sure hot routes/audibles to adjust to blitzes is a very elementary concept to him. He's mentioned in pressers how much the QB is asked to do and that includes getting them into the right play based on what the defense is showing. I'm highly confident that issue sticks out as a result of a red-shirt freshman QB running the ship and learning as he goes and gains more experience rather than it being a coaching issue.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

Who were our best QB's of the past 20 years? Butchie...Frye...Getsy...I'll throw Woodson in there, and maybe 1-hit wonder Dalton Williams too.

Whomever reminds me of one of those guys is who I want as the Zips QB in 2021. We can win some games with him. Add in a serviceable defense, and we can start competing for championships.

Our QB play as of late reminds me more of Clayton Moore, Nicely, Chapman, Ramart, Kelley etc. That won't get us out of the MAC basement.

My money is on Kato to start the 2021 season. He'll be healthy, and have a veteran presence that we sorely lacked in this bizarre Covid-shortened season.  I also assume he'll have a short leash due to the competition, and the sense of urgency to start winning football games. Another 1-win campaign means Zips football starts all over again for the umpteenth time. ?

19 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Who were our best QB's of the past 20 years? Butchie...Frye...Getsy...I'll throw Woodson in there, and maybe 1-hit wonder Dalton Williams too.

Whomever reminds me of one of those guys is who I want as the Zips QB in 2021. We can win some games with him. Add in a serviceable defense, and we can start competing for championships.

Our QB play as of late reminds me more of Clayton Moore, Nicely, Chapman, Ramart, Kelley etc. That won't get us out of the MAC basement.

My money is on Kato to start the 2021 season. He'll be healthy, and have a veteran presence that we sorely lacked in this bizarre Covid-shortened season.  I also assume he'll have a short leash due to the competition, and the sense of urgency to start winning football games. Another 1-win campaign means Zips football starts all over again for the umpteenth time. ?

I would add Jacquemain to your best of list.