Class of '21 Verbal Commits

On 12/17/2020 at 8:01 PM, Blue & Gold said:

Incoming QB DJ Irons will enroll in January and take part in spring practice, as will Monaghan (TE), Gathings (WR), and Mumpfield (WR).  IIRC Ryan Jankowski (QB) is already enrolled.

DJ Irons was the Georgia big-school-division Offensive POY his senior year in high school.

@ Blue & Gold

Today the Dayton Daily News (the quality of whose sports section rivals that of the ABJ) changed their tune; yesterday they said Morgan signed with Akron, today they say he was scheduled to sign with Akron on Wednesday. So I'm not sure whether an asterisk in front of his name is appropriate or not.

Edited by Zipmeister
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Hooks is transferring from Northwood.  Please give me some reasons to be excited.  I could not find him in several websites, so what am I missing?

No reason to get excited outside of it being a local kid from a good program coming back home. He's likely a walk-on, so I imagine not missing anything.

On 12/18/2020 at 12:32 AM, ZIPFAN21 said:

HAM with all due respect we had 4 Freshman OL (3 started their 1st games of their careers)  that provided zero time for our QB to throw.  When given time the QB was pretty accurate.   In due time those Freshman will mature into hopefully a great unit.   The competition for QB will be very heated next Spring with Gibson (Freshman still) Kato (senior) back and Irons (Juco) transferring in.  Jankowski may be the discussion as well.  DeShields and Marousek will also add to the competition.   Should be a fun spring.   

Agree that there will be competition at QB. Though I am not sure that at this late date Nelson is really going to be in the mix, at least initially. I thought he might get some PT last season but he never got on the field. Gotta believe if Arth thought he was going to be a longer term answer he would have played him. Not sure what was going on there.

Also agree that better QB play will not only help the offense but also a very shaky defense. Score more points consistently. Gibson appeared to be very one dimensional and did not consistently make good decisions. The QB still needs to be able to bail out the defense with his feet. Want to see Irons on the field to see if he can more of a threat than Gibson appears to be. 

The O-line will grow. They can already run block adequately in front of a decent RB. Better QB play will help them.

4 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

Agree that there will be competition at QB. Though I am not sure that at this late date Nelson is really going to be in the mix, at least initially. I thought he might get some PT last season but he never got on the field. Gotta believe if Arth thought he was going to be a longer term answer he would have played him. Not sure what was going on there.

Also agree that better QB play will not only help the offense but also a very shaky defense. Score more points consistently. Gibson appeared to be very one dimensional and did not consistently make good decisions. The QB still needs to be able to bail out the defense with his feet. Want to see Irons on the field to see if he can more of a threat than Gibson appears to be. 

The O-line will grow. They can already run block adequately in front of a decent RB. Better QB play will help them.

Can't agree with you more. Improving our play at QB will improve the team more than any other area of concern. We must look outside our current starter. We need to be better at decision-making and athleticism. A viable dual threat QB has become the standard for winning college programs. I have great hopes for the guys coming in and would like to see Marousek get more exposure/coaching. 

• Like 1

Our defense just got better. If the transfer portal gods are good to us with a few DB's and DL's we will be on track to win more than 3 games next season. The rebuild continues and it holds some promise, but all will be for naught if we can't improve at QB.

3 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Our defense just got better. If the transfer portal gods are good to us with a few DB's and DL's we will be on track to win more than 3 games next season. The rebuild continues and it holds some promise, but all will be for naught if we can't improve at QB.

I am not sure we got better on Defense with this signing.  Looking at his stats and tape, he is not a game changer.  In the posts above, it states that they do not know if he is a ILB or OLB.  I do not think that Bubba has to worry about losing his position since this guy signs.  The recruiting sites do say that he is an OLB, and we are weak at this position.  

I do agree 100% that all is for naught if we cannot improve at QB.  

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 3:57 PM, 72 Roo said:

Can't agree with you more. Improving our play at QB will improve the team more than any other area of concern. We must look outside our current starter. We need to be better at decision-making and athleticism. A viable dual threat QB has become the standard for winning college programs. I have great hopes for the guys coming in and would like to see Marousek get more exposure/coaching. 

I am not worried at all about our QB position at all.   Kato and Gibson will most likely be QB1 and QB2 next season.  Our offense will get better when our OL grows and gets stronger.   Starting 4 Freshman with no game experience this season is unheard of in college football.  Think about that, other than Peterson, the other 4 starters had 2 games of experience combined coming in.  Gibson was running for his life on passing downs.  He also called  the protections on the OL that produced a quality run game.  So his knowledge of the offense was good considering he is a freshman as well and had NO SPRING or summer workouts.   We had Freshman receivers as well.  So the offense is learning.  2022 this team will win and produce a product all Zip fans will be proud of.  That's my prediction 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, ZIPFAN21 said:

I am not worried at all about our QB position at all.   Kato and Gibson will most likely be QB1 and QB2 next season.  Our offense will get better when our OL grows and gets stronger.   Starting 4 Freshman with no game experience this season is unheard of in college football.  Think about that, other than Peterson, the other 4 starters had 2 games of experience combined coming in.  Gibson was running for his life on passing downs.  He also called  the protections on the OL that produced a quality run game.  So his knowledge of the offense was good considering he is a freshman as well and had NO SPRING or summer workouts.   We had Freshman receivers as well.  So the offense is learning.  2022 this team will win and produce a product all Zip fans will be proud of.  That's my prediction 

I hope you are right, but, respectfully, I don't t think so. Giving the reins to the team to Kato means we have the same problem again the next season. Gibson, on the other hand, collapses under pressure. There will always be pressure in the MAC. He does not display the ability to carry a team when needed. A QB has to be able to do that occasionally. Gibson needs everyone around him to be at their best so he can be at his best. Intellectually he may have a good grasp of the offense but he did not show it with his decision making. Perhaps he can in the future. We just need better QB-ing. I do believe the competition for the job next season will make the position better. 

Gibson was a freshman this year and will be a freshman next year. I can't agree with writing him off for the future. He showed some positives and some negatives and I believe the negatives are correctable. With that said, I don't care who the QB is next year. I'm looking forward the competition over a full offseason and the cream rising to the top.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So neither of these will count towards this year's counters due to the rules, but have strong reason to believe this tweet is in reference to Beckman and Bischoff receiving scholarships. Beckman started the entire year on the OL as a walk on redshirt freshman. Bischoff has been around a few years, and did somewhat okay at ILB next to Bubba. Started there ~half the games this season.

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

So neither of these will count towards this year's counters due to the rules, but have strong reason to believe this tweet is in reference to Beckman and Bischoff receiving scholarships. Beckman started the entire year on the OL as a walk on redshirt freshman. Bischoff has been around a few years, and did somewhat okay at ILB next to Bubba. Started there ~half the games this season.

I saw that enigmatic tweet & didn't know what to make of it.  But now that you mention it, I'll bet you're almost certainly ?

17 hours ago, LZIp said:

Congrats to the players..  I fully support players earning a scholarship.  However, when I look at the Zips scholarship chart that was issued a while back, Bischoff was listed as a person owning a scholarship.  LZlp, please comment and update.  I want to be able to trust the information that you post.  

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

Congrats to the players..  I fully support players earning a scholarship.  However, when I look at the Zips scholarship chart that was issued a while back, Bischoff was listed as a person owning a scholarship.  LZlp, please comment and update.  I want to be able to trust the information that you post.  

Here you go. Excludes all players who are in the portal. You can trust what I post or not, up to you.  The list is likely not 100% accurate, but its pretty close. Really its a group effort since there are some posters on here who know more than I do especially when it comes to walk-ons or players showing up after signing day. This list was started from scratch something like 3 seasons ago and there were some assumptions made.

Zips Football Scholarship Chart.xlsx

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2