Class of '21 Verbal Commits

8 hours ago, LZIp said:

A lot of chatter here about using the transfer portal more to finish out the class and maybe it should have been utilized more in past years, and I don't necessarily disagree. Jake Spatival, who I would have liked to replace Bowden actually, has taken the total opposite approach. He brought in 20 transfers in his 2020 recruiting class and has yet (even after late signing day) to sign a high school kid in the 2021 class.

https://old.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/lc3bhu/at_the_end_of_national_signing_day_the_texas/

That 2020 class full of players who could "contribute right away" got him to a record of 2-10. Put me on record as wanting us to finish out of class with mostly transfers expected to play right away, but Texas State's results thus far are a data point against going all in on the portal.

Lets see how it works for Lincoln Riley at Okla.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, LZIp said:

Players get out of LOI's all the time for various reasons.

To satisfy the terms of the LOI, the player must stay for 1 full academic year. If the player fails to satisfy the terms of the LOI, the penalty is a loss of TWO years of eligibility. If Akron signs a Qualified Release Agreement, then the player could leave but would still lose One year of eligibility.

9 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

6'9" 330 pounds with offers from Akron, YSU and Illinois State.  I think we have our answer

If those were his previous offers, he better think about whether its worth one or two years of eligibility. And if Akron truly likes him, they don't have to release him just because Coach Cook left. The LOI is signed with a school, not the coach. If Akron wants the scholarship to offer someone else, then by all means, sign the Release, but the kid is still going to lose a year.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

It looks to me that we lucked out in losing a guy who didn't have the temperament and probably the talent to be a Zip. I see this as positive. It frees up a scholly.

I cant imagine he was a scholarship player as Butler is Pioneer league . Non Scholarship.Why would you go from free to paying ?

11 minutes ago, John Ward said:

I cant imagine he was a scholarship player as Butler is Pioneer league . Non Scholarship.Why would you go from free to paying ?

Scholarship may have been the original intent, but I'd say its either 1) we found a better player to use it on or 2) there was some issue with Cook (former OT coach) leaving for the NFL. I think its more likely the former. Suppose we'll have to wait and see.

13 hours ago, LZIp said:

Scholarship may have been the original intent, but I'd say its either 1) we found a better player to use it on or 2) there was some issue with Cook (former OT coach) leaving for the NFL. I think its more likely the former. Suppose we'll have to wait and see.

A lot of these kids in the Pioneer league have different aspirations are getting scholarships, just not athletic. Sometimes those schools are just better fits for player as a person.

Got Hergott as a walk-on.

Here are his hudl highlights.

Definitely a dual-threat QB.  Decent arm.  Good, not great.  But definitely has the ability to run and what I like is that he's not too quick to pull it and run.  He really lets passing plays develop & uses his feet to extend passing plays.

His senior year he threw for 2,467 yards and 26 TD's while rushing for 1,078 yards & 15 TD's.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Definitely a dual-threat QB.  Decent arm.  Good, not great.  But definitely has the ability to run and what I like is that he's not too quick to pull it and run.  He really lets passing plays develop & uses his feet to extend passing plays.

His senior year he threw for 2,467 yards and 26 TD's while rushing for 1,078 yards & 15 TD's.

QB room is getting quite full

45 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

His film provides evidence that he can heave the long ball to wide open receivers. The question remains can he throw the short pass while scramblng for his life

• Like 2

On 2/4/2021 at 9:29 AM, 72 Roo said:

I think we are all with you in that a balance has to be struck. Right now we need talent that can improve the team and win a few. We are not getting that with incoming freshmen, but have a chance within the transfer portal. After experiencing a 0-12 season Jake's 2-10 season makes me jealous. Never thought I'd say that! Geesh!

It amazes me that Texas State can't field a winning team. San Marcos is a really nice college town and not far from the night life in Austin and San Antonio.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...