Class of '21 Verbal Commits

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos to the coaches for dipping into the portal and increasing our talent level. I hope he is an immediate contributor. Our track record with transfers is not the best. Hope that is changing. Are we supposed to celebrate this or follow the SID's lead and say nothing about off-season football? Is this a new secret strategy to catch the MAC by surprise? Again, Brilliant!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZIPFAN21 said:

I had heard that he visited the campus and was impressed.  He will add depth to that position of need.  Can we get a TE please??

I don't want to be a party pooper but this young man played on the Scout Team at Florida St. Maybe he can contribute. Only time will tell.Would like to see some more use of the transfer portal. There are a ton of athletes with playing experience available. 

9 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

We've won 1 game since 2018.  This kids looks to have the potential to help change the defense from DE.  Projected to be a P5 starter out of HS...yeah, we shouldn't be complaining.  Hopefully he's #HereToDevelop and actually will.

Not only was he a P5 player, he had offers from Bama, Clemson, Oregon, Auburn, etc. Really is an impressive offer list. Taggart recruited him and was fired after his first year. I also read he dealt with an injury as well. We all know based on our experience with Arth how new regimes can prefer their players over the prior staff's. 2 years in premiere program with 4 years of eligibility left. I definitely think there is a chance he could be a big steal, but at minimum it should be a marginal upgrade in talent which is obviously needed.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ZIPFAN21 said:

I had heard that he visited the campus and was impressed.  He will add depth to that position of need.  Can we get a TE please??

Can you explain the concept of a TE to me? I haven't seen that position at UA in the last 8 years. I've forgotten what a TE is. So, apparently, have the coaches and play callers. They may need to be reminded also.

4 hours ago, LZIp said:

Not only was he a P5 player, he had offers from Bama, Clemson, Oregon, Auburn, etc. Really is an impressive offer list. Taggart recruited him and was fired after his first year. I also read he dealt with an injury as well. We all know based on our experience with Arth how new regimes can prefer their players over the prior staff's. 2 years in premiere program with 4 years of eligibility left. I definitely think there is a chance he could be a big steal, but at minimum it should be a marginal upgrade in talent which is obviously needed.

I wouldn't expect to get Florida State's starters.  While this is not the Florida State football of old, as you suggest, the kid had to have some talent to get there.  I am also pretty confident that the talent level of FSU's scout team is above that of the 1 win in two year Zips, so he should be an upgrade.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Can you explain the concept of a TE to me? I haven't seen that position at UA in the last 8 years. I've forgotten what a TE is. So, apparently, have the coaches and play callers. They may need to be reminded also.

Synonyms for tight end at Akron include: decoy, outer tackle, and really outer guard. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Got a couple more verbals for the Class of '21 today. Walk-ons, of course. Probably won't bother even adding them to the initial post.  But good luck, fellas!

Just for the heck of it I took a look at the Zips 2021 football roster. Not counting the 2 guys you mention (or any other late additions) there are 101 players listed.

What a disturbing breakdown by class: 6 Sr or R-Sr, 14 Jr or R-Jr, 24 So or R-So, and 57 Fr or R-Fr.

I haven't checked it out but have a strong suspicion there aren't many D1 teams younger than the Zips.

Don't think our youth is going to make it any easier to win games this year.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Just for the heck of it I took a look at the Zips 2021 football roster. Not counting the 2 guys you mention (or any other late additions) there are 101 players listed.

What a disturbing breakdown by class: 6 Sr or R-Sr, 14 Jr or R-Jr, 24 So or R-So, and 57 Fr or R-Fr.

I haven't checked it out but have a strong suspicion there aren't many D1 teams younger than the Zips.

Don't think our youth is going to make it any easier to win games this year.

Good lord.  And the powers that were scheduled Auburn and OSU.  

tenor-176840591.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Probably a walk on based on the offers I see

Interesting get. On Hudl it shows that between 2017 and 2021 he played for Buchtel, Massillon and SVSM; including all three schools in 2020!  

247sports, where it is claimed he had offers from Central Michigan and Kent State, gives him 2 stars and has a nice photo of him in a Kent St. shirt.

Edited by Zipmeister
  • Like 1