Class of '21 Verbal Commits

On 5/10/2021 at 7:41 PM, Blue & Gold said:

Wow.  This guy didn't want to be here.

Eh, he was a walk-on anyway.

Initial post updated, btw.

Yeah, he was definitely a walk-on.  Or, by this tweet, likely offered some sort of partial scholarship...

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2021 at 5:51 PM, Zipmeister said:

Just for the heck of it I took a look at the Zips 2021 football roster. Not counting the 2 guys you mention (or any other late additions) there are 101 players listed.

What a disturbing breakdown by class: 6 Sr or R-Sr, 14 Jr or R-Jr, 24 So or R-So, and 57 Fr or R-Fr.

I haven't checked it out but have a strong suspicion there aren't many D1 teams younger than the Zips.

Don't think our youth is going to make it any easier to win games this year.

I was looking at the numbers in the same way recently.  Although there have been some slight changes per class since May, the trend is still the same.  However, there is a little more experience than it looks like.  With the red shirt rule and not losing a year of eligibility last year, we are skewed a little low (I know that this applies to all schools).  Take Logan Hawkings for example; he is listed as a R-So this year.  Looking in more detail, this will be his 4th year in the program.  This applies to others also.  So, although we are young, there is more experience than it looks and it should not be used as an excuse.  Go Zips!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 3:25 PM, Zipmeister said:

My guess is Louisville, but there is a one in a million chance he could become a Zip.

That's right, I'm saying there is a chance.

Fann just showed up on the roster.  I am so excited.!!!!!  I think I will go out and get a Powerball ticket even though the Powerball odds are 1 in 292 million, or so.  

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Fann just showed up on the roster.  I am so excited.!!!!!  I think I will go out and get a Powerball ticket even though the Powerball odds are 1 in 292 million, or so.  

Now I kind of believe.

I haven't been this excited since I saw the name Ryan Bain show up on the Akron roster.

On 5/12/2021 at 5:51 PM, Zipmeister said:

Just for the heck of it I took a look at the Zips 2021 football roster. Not counting the 2 guys you mention (or any other late additions) there are 101 players listed.

What a disturbing breakdown by class: 6 Sr or R-Sr, 14 Jr or R-Jr, 24 So or R-So, and 57 Fr or R-Fr.

I haven't checked it out but have a strong suspicion there aren't many D1 teams younger than the Zips.

Don't think our youth is going to make it any easier to win games this year.

I responded on July 22 that as of that date, the breakdown of players by class was similar to what was reported above.  Now that the new players are reporting, I decided to look at the class numbers again on the football roster shown on Gozips.  If I counted correctly, I see a further disturbing breakdown by class:    5 Sr or R-Sr, 20 Jr or R-Jr, 22 So or R-So, and 72 Fr or R-Fr.  How many other teams have 72 players in the Fr/R-Fr class?  At least, we are probably leading the NCAA in that category.  

2 hours ago, bigjim said:

I responded on July 22 that as of that date, the breakdown of players by class was similar to what was reported above.  Now that the new players are reporting, I decided to look at the class numbers again on the football roster shown on Gozips.  If I counted correctly, I see a further disturbing breakdown by class:    5 Sr or R-Sr, 20 Jr or R-Jr, 22 So or R-So, and 72 Fr or R-Fr.  How many other teams have 72 players in the Fr/R-Fr class?  At least, we are probably leading the NCAA in that category.  

We have brought a lot of players in since Arth & with redshirt & Covid you can be a 3rd year player & be a redshirt freshman

• 3 months later...
On 5/9/2020 at 3:30 PM, bigjim said:

KONATA MUMPFIELD
Wide Receiver • Freshman • 6-0 • 175
Hoschton, Ga. | Dacula HS

High School: Team captain ... four-year letterwinner and three-year starter for coach Clint Jenkins at Dacula HS ... played wide receiver and defensive back ... All-State Honorable Mention ... two-time All-Region and two-time All-County honoree ... team was a two-time state semifinalist and undefeated in four years of regional play ... went 13-1 in 2019 ... as a senior, had 42 receptions for 713 yards and a team-best 13 touchdowns ... set the school record with receiving touchdowns in a season (13) ... also had three punt returns for touchdowns ... also had an interception return for a touchdown ... participated in the Georgia Elite Classic ... two-year letterwinner in basketball.

Personal: Born October 24, 2002 ... parents are Ceeprian and Michelle Mumpfield ... has two older brothers– Marquis and D.J.– and a younger sister Maia ... father played football at N.C. State ... plans to study sports medicine ... will enroll at Akron in January 2021.

One of two G5 players on this list.

Rich Cirminiello on Twitter: "🚨BREAKING🚨 Announcing this year's Freshman All-American Team, a collection of young stars from across the country... https://t.co/bHJDjeKktZ" / Twitter

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LZIp said:

One of two G5 players on this list.

Rich Cirminiello on Twitter: "🚨BREAKING🚨 Announcing this year's Freshman All-American Team, a collection of young stars from across the country... https://t.co/bHJDjeKktZ" / Twitter

If I remembers correctly this young man was a greyshirt. Who is in charge of evaluating talent?  This cannot happen.