Class of '21 Verbal Commits

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I wonder where they see this kid playing.  At 210 pounds, they must think they can bulk him up or they see him at another position.

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I wonder where they see this kid playing.  At 210 pounds, they must think they can bulk him up or they see him at another position.

I don't have a problem with his size if he has speed and nasty attitude. We can add size and strength but he must bring the speed and attitude with him. If he's got those two qualities the rest will follow. We actually have some strength in turning underdeveloped, overlooked recruits into decent players. 

• Like 1

Not a commit, but I don't want to start a new thread. Looks like we just offered this guy, and are his first FBS offer so I would think the chances of him ending up here are more likely than not. He has good size, looks fast off the ball, plays great competition, and is pancaking somebody every single play. For any O-line aficionados, am I missing something?

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8634627/5f90da01ff0cdd08b8fdf6a1

Edited by LZIp
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bigjim said:

Not sure its a grade up from EPPS, a 3 star linemen vs. no stars.  Akron is not getting better.

No stars yet doesn't mean he won't be a 3 star...

I've watched his hudl, Gavin Malott's hudl, and Epp's hudl. The one that I was the least impressed with was Epps'. I'd be curious for other opinions.

Edited by LZIp

11 hours ago, LZIp said:

Not a commit, but I don't want to start a new thread. Looks like we just offered this guy, and are his first FBS offer so I would think the chances of him ending up here are more likely than not. He has good size, looks fast off the ball, plays great competition, and is pancaking somebody every single play. For any O-line aficionados, am I missing something?

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8634627/5f90da01ff0cdd08b8fdf6a1

In the past, when Akron was a prospects first offer all too often that resulted in a commitment because we were his only offer. I'm not sure that still applies.

I like him a lot on defense. And I'm not saying he's doing anything illegal, but I'm a little suspicious of his hand work on offense.

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

No stars yet doesn't mean he won't be a 3 star...

I've watched his hudl, Gaving Malott's hudl, and Epp's hudl. The one that I was the least impressed with was Epps'. I'd be curious for other opinions.

Back in the Owens days, we recruited 4-star RB Thomas Plummer out of Canada. 0-star RB Bobby Hendry probably outgained him by 2,000 yards in his Zips career.

Nate Robinson was a 5-star DL recruit for the Zips (via Rutgers). He spent a non-descript two years at Akron.

Peter Patrick Hayes was a 4-star RB. I have to believe he saw Teon Dollard and said "I ain't playing much over the next 2 seasons...I'm outta here." Assuming Hayes plays again, I doubt he's ending up at Florida State.

Who's better...4-star Jonah Morris, or 2-star Michael Matheson?

The list goes on...stars don't mean a whole lot at MAC schools. Brookhart and Owens had top-rated classes in the MAC, and it got them nothing.

If the Zips coaches signed a kid because of his recruiting "stars," we have the wrong coaches.

Talent evaluation matters. Coaching-up that talent matters. Retention matters. In-game adjustments matter. 

If the OU game isn't an aberration...and it well could have been...the staff may well have identified some good young talent and coached them up (from last season's abomination). We'll see about retention next year, but I'll assume as the program fills with Arth's recruits, the retention will be pretty good.

12 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Back in the Owens days, we recruited 4-star RB Thomas Plummer out of Canada. 0-star RB Bobby Hendry probably outgained him by 2,000 yards in his Zips career.

Nate Robinson was a 5-star DL recruit for the Zips (via Rutgers). He spent a non-descript two years at Akron.

Peter Patrick Hayes was a 4-star RB. I have to believe he saw Teon Dollard and said "I ain't playing much over the next 2 seasons...I'm outta here." Assuming Hayes plays again, I doubt he's ending up at Florida State.

Who's better...4-star Jonah Morris, or 2-star Michael Matheson?

The list goes on...stars don't mean a whole lot at MAC schools. Brookhart and Owens had top-rated classes in the MAC, and it got them nothing.

If the Zips coaches signed a kid because of his recruiting "stars," we have the wrong coaches.

Talent evaluation matters. Coaching-up that talent matters. Retention matters. In-game adjustments matter. 

If the OU game isn't an aberration...and it well could have been...the staff may well have identified some good young talent and coached them up (from last season's abomination). We'll see about retention next year, but I'll assume as the program fills with Arth's recruits, the retention will be pretty good.

There are always exception to the rule.  Coaching is very important, but you need talent as a base.  You have listed several exceptions over a many year period.  Stars do not measure heart and desire and that is one way that players make it, based on heart and desire.  All 4 and 5 star players do not make it, but the probability is much higher for success over a 0 or 1 star player.  Does Alabama and Clemson sign 0 star players hoping that they will pan out.  I looked at 247, and between Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State, all of their recruits are 3,4,or 5 star players.  Looking at the MAC, Toledo, Buffalo, and Miami all have 17- 3 star recruits.  Will they all pan out, no, but there is a basis of talent for those teams.  Akron does not have that talent basis.  Bowden left the cupboard bare.  Look at the Zips football scholarship chart.  We need to close the gap.  Stars are important.  

7 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Well fantastic.  We just lost our verbal commitment from Dillon Porter, no doubt due, in no small part, to our splendid performance on ESPN last night.

This decision is another that is not good for Akron long term.  Dillon looked like a top notch player.  However, I do not think the Kent Akron game made this decision, but the opposite.  If I was watching the game, I would think that I could get on the field very early based on the pathetic Kent performance.  Let's hope he comes back.  

• Like 1