Class of '21 Verbal Commits

12 hours ago, bigjim said:

This decision is another that is not good for Akron long term.  Dillon looked like a top notch player.  However, I do not think the Kent Akron game made this decision, but the opposite.  If I was watching the game, I would think that I could get on the field very early based on the pathetic Kent performance.  Let's hope he comes back.  

I would characterize Kent's performance as significantly better than pathetic.

I'm guessing the entire Zip's coaching staff was on the phone Wednesday attempting to convince other recruits not to jump ship.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

I would characterize Kent's performance as significantly better than pathetic.

I'm guessing the entire Zip's coaching staff was on the phone Wednesday attempting to convince other recruits not to jump ship.

I apologize.  My writing was wrong.  I should have said based on Akron's pathetic performance versus Kent.  Kent had an excellent performance and was in no way pathetic.  thank you,

5 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

If anyone's interested in watching what should be a great game and Zips commit Luke Bauer, here is the link for the game.  It costs $9.99 to watch.

Ok, I watched the Hoban game. Very impressed with the Kirk boy that is going to Mich St. Our commit Bauer was just ok compared to other LBs.No real speed. Could be a project at DE or MLB but needs size.We could use some of those DBs they had as well.

12 hours ago, John Ward said:

Ok, I watched the Hoban game. Very impressed with the Kirk boy that is going to Mich St. Our commit Bauer was just ok compared to other LBs.No real speed. Could be a project at DE or MLB but needs size.We could use some of those DBs they had as well.

AJ Kirk had a tremendous game.  I've seen a handful of Hoban games this season and that's the best I've seen him play.  Great game from him. (Btw, Kirk is Mike Doss' brother.)

On the line Darryl Peterson is Hoban's best and he was the best last night as well.  He really dominated whomever he played over.  Darryl is a Wisconsin commit, and another "Did You Know?," is the son of former Zips basketball great Darryl Peterson. (I am getting old ? )

Hoban uses Luke Bauer as a DE/outside linebacker - sort of how the Zips are using Ryan McClain.  Luke generally lines up in the 2-technique on the line at the DE position - usually on the left it seems.  He was matched up all night with Massillon RT Terrance Rankl, whom is a Pitt commit.  Rankl's the real deal at 6'5" 290.  I thought the matchup was a draw.  Rankl didn't allow Bauer any sacks last night (though I saw at least 2 plays where holding could have been called and Bauer was in on a couple group sacks).  Also, Massillon was never able to simply run behind Rankl like they pretty much have all season and Bauer made a few plays behind the LOS.  So we'll see.  He's already got a full-grown-man's body at 6'1", 245 and I'm glad he's going to be a Zip.

The Zips have also offered Kharion Davis, whom I believe was named Game MVP.   Could Kharion be the lockdown corner we so desperately need?  He shut down OSU commit Jayden Ballard last night (though the best pass defense is a good pass rush and that's what we saw last night.)  Covering Ballard one-on-one, Kharion was step-for-step with Ballard and then aggressively cut through Ballard's body for a big INT at Hoban's 10-ish yard line.  He outfought Ballard for the ball... but that's not really saying much; Ballard is extremely athletic but awfully soft.  Hopefully the Zips can land Kharion!  

Coach Arth should become best friends with Hoban's Coach Terrell. Lol.  (And, while he's at it, with Massillon's Nate Moore as well; loads of talent on both teams - though a few of Massillon's best players this year were from... wait for it... Buchtel!  Lol.  What's up with that?!) Go Zips!

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

AJ Kirk had a tremendous game.  I've seen a handful of Hoban games this season and that's the best I've seen him play.  Great game from him. (Btw, Kirk is Mike Doss' brother.)

On the line Darryl Peterson is Hoban's best and he was the best last night as well.  He really dominated whomever he played over.  Darryl is a Wisconsin commit, and another "Did You Know?," is the son of former Zips basketball great Darryl Peterson. (I am getting old ? )

Hoban uses Luke Bauer as a DE/outside linebacker - sort of how the Zips are using Ryan McClain.  Luke generally lines up in the 2-technique on the line at the DE position - usually on the left it seems.  He was matched up all night with Massillon RT Terrance Rankl, whom is a Pitt commit.  Rankl's the real deal at 6'5" 290.  I thought the matchup was a draw.  Rankl didn't allow Bauer any sacks last night (though I saw at least 2 plays where holding could have been called and Bauer was in on a couple group sacks).  Also, Massillon was never able to simply run behind Rankl like they pretty much have all season and Bauer made a few plays behind the LOS.  So we'll see.  He's already got a full-grown-man's body at 6'1", 245 and I'm glad he's going to be a Zip.

The Zips have also offered Kharion Davis, whom I believe was named Game MVP.   Could Kharion be the lockdown corner we so desperately need?  He shut down OSU commit Jayden Ballard last night (though the best pass defense is a good pass rush and that's what we saw last night.)  Covering Ballard one-on-one, Kharion was step-for-step with Ballard and then aggressively cut through Ballard's body for a big INT at Hoban's 10-ish yard line.  He outfought Ballard for the ball... but that's not really saying much; Ballard is extremely athletic but awfully soft.  Hopefully the Zips can land Kharion!  

Coach Arth should become best friends with Hoban's Coach Terrell. Lol.  (And, while he's at it, with Massillon's Nate Moore as well; loads of talent on both teams - though a few of Massillon's best players this year were from... wait for it... Buchtel!  Lol.  What's up with that?!) Go Zips!

Yeah until you control the private school recruiting this will keep happening.

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I watched the game too and was very impressed. I've seen Hoban play about 10 times in the last 3 years. There is great talent there and I hope Arth can get some of them to stay home and help rebuild the Zips. I'm most impressed with coach Terrell. He has always had his team prepared in each game I've seen. I've never seen him out-coached. He develops players. His play calling stands out as unpredictable, creative and able to take advantage of what the D gives you. In other words the complete opposite of Milwee (I'm still deeply scarred and get nightmares thinking of his offense). I would love to see Arth add Terrell to his staff and further build a relationship with NE Ohio H.S. programs. With his success he would help build a consistent culture of winning at Akron, something we sorely lack.

Luke Bauer will find a place on the field and I hope Kharion Davis joins him in the Akron colors. I like their kicker too. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Coincidentally, Kirk was able to make some plays, rushing off of the corner unimpeded because Bauer was giving that tackle all he could handle.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, LZIp said:

Anyone watch the CCU/BYU game tonight? Check out the 247 rating and the offers Grayson McCall had coming out of HS. 

https://247sports.com/player/grayson-mccall-46054624/

He was a 2 star out of HS.  Also, he passed for less than 100 yards against BYU.  Running game was great.

What point are you trying to make?  If you want to argue stars, there are always exceptions.  Let's look at T Lawrence and J Fields.

3 hours ago, bigjim said:

He was a 2 star out of HS.  Also, he passed for less than 100 yards against BYU.  Running game was great.

What point are you trying to make?  If you want to argue stars, there are always exceptions.  Let's look at T Lawrence and J Fields.

I think the point he is trying to make is fairly obvious; if we can just sign enough 2 stars we should be able to beat BYU.

image.pngimage.png

Edited by Zipmeister

2 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

I think the point he is trying to make is fairly obvious; if we can just sign enough 2 stars we should be able to beat BYU.

image.pngimage.png

What he means is stars don't mean a damn thing.It ain't the dog that matters its the fight in the dog that means something. I get so tired of overrated , overhyped high school players that get to college and do nothing.Those walk on, 1 star ,2 star kids that have a chip on their shoulders often fair better.All you guys are so hung up on stars. I bet there are walk ons on the roster right now that are better than some scholarship kids .. ex: Grimes Jr.

2 hours ago, John Ward said:

What he means is stars don't mean a damn thing.It ain't the dog that matters its the fight in the dog that means something. I get so tired of overrated , overhyped high school players that get to college and do nothing.Those walk on, 1 star ,2 star kids that have a chip on their shoulders often fair better.All you guys are so hung up on stars. I bet there are walk ons on the roster right now that are better than some scholarship kids .. ex: Grimes Jr.

See; it was even obvious to the hall monitor.

23 hours ago, John Ward said:

What an ignorant comment.  Stars are not 100% correct, but they matter.  This was discussed in a past post where someone brought up several situations over 10-15 years where stars were wrong.  If it does not matter, look at the recruiting.  Alabama, Clemson, ND, and Ohio state have only recruited 3-5 star recruits,  and they are doing fine.  They do not sign 1-2 star athletes hoping that they develop.  Can Akron play with these 4 schools with their star recruits?  No, they cannot play with the MAC.  All stars do not pan out, and some no stars do succeed.  But, as a rule, stars matter.  I am tired of commenting on this subject with folks who do not understand.  

9 hours ago, bigjim said:

What an ignorant comment.  Stars are not 100% correct, but they matter.  This was discussed in a past post where someone brought up several situations over 10-15 years where stars were wrong.  If it does not matter, look at the recruiting.  Alabama, Clemson, ND, and Ohio state have only recruited 3-5 star recruits,  and they are doing fine.  They do not sign 1-2 star athletes hoping that they develop.  Can Akron play with these 4 schools with their star recruits?  No, they cannot play with the MAC.  All stars do not pan out, and some no stars do succeed.  But, as a rule, stars matter.  I am tired of commenting on this subject with folks who do not understand.  

Believe me , I understand  ! So lets just say your comments are ignorant. Who died and made you God ? Everybody entitled to their opinion so live and let live. And since your tired of commenting than just shut your trap.

12 hours ago, John Ward said:

Believe me , I understand  ! So lets just say your comments are ignorant. Who died and made you God ? Everybody entitled to their opinion so live and let live. And since your tired of commenting than just shut your trap.

Mr. Ward, I apologize for using the word ignorant.  I know that the remainder of what I said is 100% correct, but I used a wrong and hurtful word.  I just get frustrated that my fellow alumni set the bar very low, and everyone wonders why we typically have losing seasons.  I truly hope that Coach Arth can turn this around.  Again, I am sorry for using the word ignorant.  

On 12/7/2020 at 2:47 PM, bigjim said:

If it does not matter, look at the recruiting.  Alabama, Clemson, ND, and Ohio state have only recruited 3-5 star recruits,  and they are doing fine.  They do not sign 1-2 star athletes hoping that they develop. 

I believe this is a 100% correct statement. But it has no bearing on Akron football. 

Leonardo Decaprio will only date stunning supermodels and actresses. Joe Akron isn't so fortunate. He will waste his time trying to date out of his league. 

The star services don't really spend too much time pouring over tape and investigating guys with potential. Notre Dame shouldn't either. They'll reject more 4-star recruits in a single recruiting year than the entire MAC will successfully recruit in a lifetime.

Stars are subjective. Talent is absolute. Arth needs to identify the best talent and potential within his recruiting "league." And retain and develop it. If he evaluates players deemed 2-star and a 3-star, and selects the one deemed a 3-star based solely on stars...not what he's seen on film, in-person or gleaned from speaking to coaches, then we've got the wrong coach.

I have high expectations for Zips football. But I'm realistic of where we stand in December 2020. We need "Program Builders." Transfers looking for a chance to play. Late-developing seniors who somehow stayed below the radar (Jatavis, Ulysses, Alvin, Lako...). As you retain, develop and win, the caliber of recruit will increase. Not to Clemson's level, but hopefully Toledo's. 

Go Zips! 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I believe this is a 100% correct statement. But it has no bearing on Akron football. 

Leonardo Decaprio will only date stunning supermodels and actresses. Joe Akron isn't so fortunate. He will waste his time trying to date out of his league. 

The star services don't really spend too much time pouring over tape and investigating guys with potential. Notre Dame shouldn't either. They'll reject more 4-star recruits in a single recruiting year than the entire MAC will successfully recruit in a lifetime.

Stars are subjective. Talent is absolute. Arth needs to identify the best talent and potential within his recruiting "league." And retain and develop it. If he evaluates players deemed 2-star and a 3-star, and selects the one deemed a 3-star based solely on stars...not what he's seen on film, in-person or gleaned from speaking to coaches, then we've got the wrong coach.

I have high expectations for Zips football. But I'm realistic of where we stand in December 2020. We need "Program Builders." Transfers looking for a chance to play. Late-developing seniors who somehow stayed below the radar (Jatavis, Ulysses, Alvin, Lako...). As you retain, develop and win, the caliber of recruit will increase. Not to Clemson's level, but hopefully Toledo's. 

Go Zips! 

That's why I think it's important to butter up the kids you know you're not going to get (and their HS coaches).  You never know when a kid won't work out at his school of choice and look to come home, Se'Von Pittman coming to mind.