Smaller, Leaner athletic program...

zip81

23 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Ive never known this board to overreact or get ahead of itself.  

College taught us to think for ourselves and discuss situations ;)

There are 350+ D1 schools. There are much smaller schools with much smaller enrollments and endowments than MAC schools in D1. If MAC schools are saying they can't keep up with the NCAA D1 requirements, conferences like the MEAC, Southland, Northeastern etc. are probably even facing worse problems. The NCAA isn't going to let 100 or so schools drop from D1. I expect to see system wide changes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spin said:

Others enjoy annual 50+ point drubbings (with their starters pulled at half time) because it makes them feel like a big time program.

Not to mention Ohio U...?

Broken record. It's as if you have no idea about Akron - your're just boring to me (ignore).        

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

Broken record. It's as if you have no idea about Akron - your're just boring to me (ignore).        

If that's your debating skills, no big loss. 

2 hours ago, footballzip said:

If we leave the MAC, I think Missouri Valley Conference looks like the best alternative. FCS (1-AA) football. Division 1 in basketball with auto bid to tournament. We have to wait till the smoke clears and we get back to "normal" to see what happens.

I'll ask again - what cost savings do we see by dropping to 1-AA?

9 minutes ago, LZIp said:

We need to root for this issue to be as widespread as possible...if many are dealing with it, exceptions have to be made I'd think.

https://www.crainscleveland.com/rachel-mccafferty-blog/kent-state-cut-fiscal-year-2021-budget-20?utm_source=afternoon-report&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200427&utm_content=article5-readmore

Bowling Green is in similar straits and Miami has troubles.  The state of Illinois is a financial mess so NIU I'm sure has trouble as well.

Fresh from Cleveland.com (with some small modifications at the beginning)-

"Brimfield, Ohio – PCCC President Todd Diacon announced Monday the university intends to reduce spending, including salary cuts, layoffs and a hiring freeze, to offset as much as $110 million in losses incurred because of the coronavirus crisis.  In an email to faculty and staff, Diacon said the university plans to reduce its budget by 20% for fiscal year 2021, which begins on July 1, 2020."

"Other cost-saving measures including a hiring freeze in effect through fiscal year 2021, pausing all university-sponsored travel, reducing spending on athletics and postponing new campus construction projects."

This along with the stuff posted about other schools is actually promising.  It shows, as we've hoped, that others are going through the same things and that system wide changes could be coming as a result.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

8 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Fresh from Cleveland.com (with some small modifications at the beginning)-

"Brimfield, Ohio – PCCC President Todd Diacon announced Monday the university intends to reduce spending, including salary cuts, layoffs and a hiring freeze, to offset as much as $110 million in losses incurred because of the coronavirus crisis.  In an email to faculty and staff, Diacon said the university plans to reduce its budget by 20% for fiscal year 2021, which begins on July 1, 2020."

"Other cost-saving measures including a hiring freeze in effect through fiscal year 2021, pausing all university-sponsored travel, reducing spending on athletics and postponing new campus construction projects."

This along with the stuff posted about other schools is actually promising.  It shows, as we've hoped, that others are going through the same things and that system wide changes could be coming as a result.

These other schools can't get rid of bad coaches.  They are all in the same situation.

2 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Wouldn't fewer scholarships at the FCS level make it less of a financial burden on some level?

I'm not arguing because I don't have all the numbers but my guess is that the savings from less scholarships is more than offset by the loss of fan/corporate support and TV revenue

6 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I think any real discussion on saving money would have to start with totally scrapping football or going non-scholarship FCS, which I can't see either happening. And if it did, I'd be done

Football can schedule Clemson, Purdue, and Kentucky and bring in $4.5 million.  And I mean this...I'm glad I'm not the one making these decisions.

Ohio has SEVEN divisions for high school football, determined by enrollment. And the football division you are in has no bearing on what basketball, soccer, or any other sport's division you are in. Teams can play teams from other divisions, in fact a conference can have teams from different divisions playing against each other. 

Different sports have different numbers of divisions. There are 4 in basketball, three in soccer and wrestling, one in hockey, etc. 

It can be done. 

5 minutes ago, Spin said:

Ohio has SEVEN divisions for high school football, determined by enrollment. And the football division you are in has no bearing on what basketball, soccer, or any other sport's division you are in. Teams can play teams from other divisions, in fact a conference can have teams from different divisions playing against each other. 

Different sports have different numbers of divisions. There are 4 in basketball, three in soccer and wrestling, one in hockey, etc. 

It can be done. 

Good idea.  Use Ohio HS sports as a model.?

12 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I like it. That takes Gonzaga and Duke out of our path to a b-ball championship

Basketball and soccer and anyone else can remain in Division 1. The "other five" conferences can drop football down into a more sustainable level. They can still send the players to FBS slaughterhouses to bankroll the athletic dept. since that's the answer. And there's no reason to think the TV telecasts would go away (I watch high school and small college football on TV, why would they drop Akron in a more competitive environment?). 

But, it's the MAC. I am confident they will manage to tick off every college sports fan/supporter.

Edited by Spin

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

There are 350+ D1 schools. There are much smaller schools with much smaller enrollments and endowments than MAC schools in D1. If MAC schools are saying they can't keep up with the NCAA D1 requirements, conferences like the MEAC, Southland, Northeastern etc. are probably even facing worse problems. The NCAA isn't going to let 100 or so schools drop from D1. I expect to see system wide changes.

This is exactly what NEEDS to happen.  The profitable big schools can keep up their arms race and allow the other 100+ schools to compete at a level that doesn't bankrupt their respective institutions.  Everyone tells the NCAA to go to hell.  

The current NCAA football structure was destined to fail.  A new format can't possibly any worse than the current UA football experience.