Smaller, Leaner athletic program...

zip81

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Kent is the most superfluous school in NEO.  Why does it exist?

Because Akron and Youngstown are too far a way to drive a tractor to class.

• Haha 2

Any closure of a university would require political involvement.  There's no way any politician is going to take the political heat that would come with that.  Elimination of duplicative programs is where I see this going.  Each university keeping its strengths and students getting directed to schools in their areas of strength.  Akron gets engineering and law, PCCC gets basket weaving and cosmetology, OU gets animal husbandry, YSU gets organized crime studies, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Any closure of a university would require political involvement.  There's no way any politician is going to take the political heat that would come with that.  Elimination of duplicative programs is where I see this going.  Each university keeping its strengths and students getting directed to schools in their areas of strength.  Akron gets engineering and law, PCCC gets basket weaving and cosmetology, OU gets animal husbandry, YSU gets organized crime studies, etc. 

OMG.  Now that was funny

21 hours ago, UA1987 said:

When banter turns toxic it means the death for innovation.... Try think about all the costs that go into supporting university athletics and how ridiculous it is for athletes to want to earn something more for their participation beyond their tuition, room and, board, without paying back the institutions that got them in that position. If these same athletes can earn something for their likeness, so be it, then they should payback their benefactor by returning tuition, room, and board and then keep the rest. You must have supported the knuckelhead that used to walk around the Rubber bowl and the Info with a hand painted 6th grade sign saying the University exploits athletes. Benefit of many - debatable. Zero cost - please...                            

A large portion of ESPN is dedicated to the broadcast (which they get revenue) and other programming (which the get revenue).  That's whole levels of management, and other workers that are all getting paid on a system that wouldn't exist without the players.  Just look at how desperate ESPN is for programming right now...and if there's not College sports in the Fall; how many people are going to be without jobs at ESPN?  

The student-athletes don't need to "pay-back" the institution.  If the athlete didn't play at one institution, there is certainly another institution they could go to.  That's because the DEMAND, is for the product of football, not the institution.  One of the major assets in producing that product, is the athlete.  The institution is merely the marketplace to facilitate the demand is paired with the product.  And the institution is "paid-back" by what it makes off of selling tickets, broadcast rights etc.  Of which, frankly, the athletes should have a share in. But even if they didn't, they absolutely should be able to sell their likeness without any reprocussion from the university.  THEY are the product that is in demand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zip-Grad '13 said:

A large portion of ESPN is dedicated to the broadcast (which they get revenue) and other programming (which the get revenue).  That's whole levels of management, and other workers that are all getting paid on a system that wouldn't exist without the players.  Just look at how desperate ESPN is for programming right now...and if there's not College sports in the Fall; how many people are going to be without jobs at ESPN?  

The student-athletes don't need to "pay-back" the institution.  If the athlete didn't play at one institution, there is certainly another institution they could go to.  That's because the DEMAND, is for the product of football, not the institution.  One of the major assets in producing that product, is the athlete.  The institution is merely the marketplace to facilitate the demand is paired with the product.  And the institution is "paid-back" by what it makes off of selling tickets, broadcast rights etc.  Of which, frankly, the athletes should have a share in. But even if they didn't, they absolutely should be able to sell their likeness without any reprocussion from the university.  THEY are the product that is in demand.

You are assuming that athletes are not coached and are not developed by the limited 'institutions' , as you say, that are out there struggling to keep costs down. If it is to be the way you would want it I would be happy if these same athletes were not given any athletic scholarship at all as the last thing I want to support is some primadonna that turns his or her back on the people that helped make him or her develop to what they turned out to be. Sick, raw, backstabing that I would not support.   

Edited by UA1987

I didn't see 100k people packing stadiums for XFL games. People watch OSU and Bama because it's OSU & Bama. Those schools in their 100+ year history have built brands that are bigger than any single player. By the time a fan gets attached to a player he's already graduating and the next man is up. If it was possible to monetize a semi-pro league, the private sector would have already done it. Hell the NBA is trying to do it with the G-League, but people still care more about NCAA basketball.

Edit: I've already said I have no problem with players making money on the side for their likeness. I'm just sick of seeing everyone act like the college system gives nothing back to the players. Frankly 95% of these kids will never go onto play professionally and I don't see anyone in the private sector offering these kids more than what the NCAA does. For many of these kids the only way out of poverty is through using their athletic gifts to get a degree in something that pays a liveable wage.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Sounds like you may just be better off not watching college athletics

I'm heading that way with football in college. Like the game day experiance from time to time. Quit watching most pro football and all basketball year's ago.  

On 5/5/2020 at 9:32 PM, zippy5 said:

Ah my bad. I just read the paragraph you quoted. Soccer ain't going anywhere

Soccer, Track and Field/Cross Country and Swimming are all seriously in play to be eliminated at Akron. Add in Lacrosse for the Zips, and Wrestling in the MAC overall.  All have big budgets and the MAC will no longer be sponsoring championships in these sports. If you choose to believe otherwise, that's your right. Wait, Watch and Learn.

The University is consolidating colleges into 5 tight groups - eliminating administrative positions, and 

The reality is that substantial cuts are about to be made here at Akron in Athletics and on other MAC campuses.  You do not reach over $8,000,000 in cuts by disbanding the golf teams and laying off two trainers and an SID, or by scheduling more big $$$ games.  Again, the big $$$ games only get paid if there are people in the stands at the big money schools.

It's amusing to read the comments on this page every few days as some truly believe that Football brings in substantial dollars at Akron.  Akron Football is an abyss.  Basketball brings in more ticket sales than Football at Akron, and that's a fact.  Akron Football has no big $$$ payday from TV contracts, sponsorships, or again, ticket sales. The only reason MAC Football exists on the planet earth is to provide ESPN mid-week programming during the MACtion portion of the season. Word is that ESPN is pressuring the MAC to consider an ALL MID WEEK SCHEDULE for Football 2020 to provide more programming across the various ESPN platforms.  With FANS AT GAMES being in serious jeopardy, the MAC and Sun Belt are being pushed on this front. It won't happen, but that pitch has been made.

This is Akron Football in Pictures   Explain the positives that this imagery provides The University, it's Academic Mission, it's Athletic Brand, and adds to the value of our diplomas?

From Gordon Larsen to Chris Angeloff, the Acme-Zip Game to Jason Taylor and Dwight Smith, and all points forward, I love Akron Football.  I just don't think it brings a 10+ million dollar value to the University.  Even if we go 12-0 in the regular season, win both big $$$ games that folks want us to play, and win the MAC Championship, we will never, ever, by the way the system works, play for a national championship. We are an organ farm waiting for others to use us for sustenance.

Basketball, Soccer, etc. can be competitive outlets for excellence if the focus is made.  The football stadium and associated debt is a challenge but keeping the program that is a whole disaster for the institutional brand is bad management.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I didn't see 100k people packing stadiums for XFL games. People watch OSU and Bama because it's OSU & Bama. Those schools in their 100+ year history have built brands that are bigger than any single player. By the time a fan gets attached to a player he's already graduating and the next man is up. If it was possible to monetize a semi-pro league, the private sector would have already done it. Hell the NBA is trying to do it with the G-League, but people still care more about NCAA basketball.

With the changes in the NBA's CBA more and more elite players from the high school ranks will choose to go to the G-League.  Will be interesting to watch and see if those games begin to gain traction and outdraw low level / mid major college programs like the MAC.  The blue bloods like Kentucky, Duke, etc. will not see drop-off but others could well suffer.

https://gleague.nba.com/news/no-1-high-school-prospect-jalen-green-signs-with-nba-g-league/

3 minutes ago, DannyHoke said:

Soccer, Track and Field/Cross Country and Swimming are all seriously in play to be eliminated at Akron. Add in Lacrosse for the Zips, and Wrestling in the MAC overall.  All have big budgets and the MAC will no longer be sponsoring championships in these sports. If you choose to believe otherwise, that's your right. Wait, Watch and Learn.

The University is consolidating colleges into 5 tight groups - eliminating administrative positions, and 

The reality is that substantial cuts are about to be made here at Akron in Athletics and on other MAC campuses.  You do not reach over $8,000,000 in cuts by disbanding the golf teams and laying off two trainers and an SID, or by scheduling more big $$$ games.  Again, the big $$$ games only get paid if there are people in the stands at the big money schools.

It's amusing to read the comments on this page every few days as some truly believe that Football brings in substantial dollars at Akron.  Akron Football is an abyss.  Basketball brings in more ticket sales than Football at Akron, and that's a fact.  Akron Football has no big $$$ payday from TV contracts, sponsorships, or again, ticket sales. The only reason MAC Football exists on the planet earth is to provide ESPN mid-week programming during the MACtion portion of the season. Word is that ESPN is pressuring the MAC to consider an ALL MID WEEK SCHEDULE for Football 2020 to provide more programming across the various ESPN platforms.  With FANS AT GAMES being in serious jeopardy, the MAC and Sun Belt are being pushed on this front. It won't happen, but that pitch has been made.

This is Akron Football in Pictures   Explain the positives that this imagery provides The University, it's Academic Mission, it's Athletic Brand, and adds to the value of our diplomas?

From Gordon Larsen to Chris Angeloff, the Acme-Zip Game to Jason Taylor and Dwight Smith, and all points forward, I love Akron Football.  I just don't think it brings a 10+ million dollar value to the University.  Even if we go 12-0 in the regular season, win both big $$$ games that folks want us to play, and win the MAC Championship, we will never, ever, by the way the system works, play for a national championship. We are an organ farm waiting for others to use us for sustenance.

Basketball, Soccer, etc. can be competitive outlets for excellence if the focus is made.  The football stadium and associated debt is a challenge but keeping the program that is a whole disaster for the institutional brand is bad management.

Anything else?  Akron baseball and lacrosse are non-scholarship sports.  Lacrosse doesn't drain anything from Akron.

3 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Anything else?  Akron baseball and lacrosse are non-scholarship sports.  Lacrosse doesn't drain anything from Akron.

Do you read?  The MAC will no longer sponsor these sports.  

Per Lacrosse, There were to have been five MAC teams competing in women's lacrosse in 2020-21. Akron, Central Michigan and Kent State will be joined by affiliate members Detroit Mercy and Youngstown State. Eastern Michigan plans to add women's lacrosse in 2021-22, giving the MAC a sixth team in the sport.  That's all now off the table.  When you do not have a conference to play in, why have the sport?  Lax was only added to balance Title IX numbers, and that will be addressed now with wholesale cuts.

Also, per costs, scholarships are not the only costs. Facilities, Equipment, Insurance, Training, all of the support staff needed to prop up a 500+ student athlete population, and so on.   

You are so busy trying to rebut my facts that you fail to put forward factual, thoughtful statements.

3 minutes ago, DannyHoke said:

Do you read?  The MAC will no longer sponsor these sports.  

Per Lacrosse, There were to have been five MAC teams competing in women's lacrosse in 2020-21. Akron, Central Michigan and Kent State will be joined by affiliate members Detroit Mercy and Youngstown State. Eastern Michigan plans to add women's lacrosse in 2021-22, giving the MAC a sixth team in the sport.  That's all now off the table.  When you do not have a conference to play in, why have the sport?  Lax was only added to balance Title IX numbers, and that will be addressed now with wholesale cuts.

Also, per costs, scholarships are not the only costs. Facilities, Equipment, Insurance, Training, all of the support staff needed to prop up a 500+ student athlete population, and so on.   

You are so busy trying to rebut my facts that you fail to put forward factual, thoughtful statements.

I will wait for the announcement from the president and athletic director and go from there. 

What's good for you is that football will still be around at Akron, and you will have something to rail against for the next few years.

The scholarship cost is greatly inflated IMO. Akron has the extra capacity in its dorms and classrooms to absorb the students. Particularly now as we over expanded thinking enrollment would balloon to 30k+, but now it's down to 20k. Sure, it costs money to feed them and they use electricity so I'm not saying there is no cost associated with them. I just feel it's much less than the stated cost. Being able to eliminate and/or reduce travel costs and other coaches/admins would IMO be what actually substantially saves the university money.

Edit: Perhaps the university should look into selling off Polsky or lease out a few floors for office space.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

Okay, stupid question.  But scholarships don't really cost the U any tangible $$, do they?  Just on paper, right?.  Sure, you can say the scholarship is worth $xx,xxx.xx, - and it is to the student; the diploma they receive is in fact worth that much $$.  But from the U's perspective isn't the scholarship simply letting a student sit at a desk which would otherwise be empty?  

My dad was friends with someone who owned a country club.  He let my family use the facilities free of charge.  It was a great deal for us - and worth about $8,000/year from our perspective.  But it didn't actually cost him anything because we wouldn't be going to the CC otherwise.  

Edit: @kreed5120 hit on this while I was typing. 

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Okay, stupid question.  But scholarships don't really cost the U any tangible $$, do they?  Just on paper, right?.  Sure, you can say the scholarship is worth $xx,xxx.xx, - and it is to the student; the diploma they receive is in fact worth that much $$.  But from the U's perspective isn't the scholarship simply letting a student sit at a desk which would otherwise be empty?  

My dad was friends with someone who owned a country club.  He let my family use the facilities free of charge.  It was a great deal for us - and worth about $8,000/year from our perspective.  But it didn't actually cost him anything because we wouldn't be going to the CC otherwise.  

Edit: @kreed5120 hit on this while I was typing. 

Perhaps if there was one scholarship athlete on campus. But I think there are incremental costs of having hundreds of them on campus.. probably not to the level of the scholarship value but resources have to be spent to care for that many. On top of that they get some additional items like their tutors and academic support that not all students get