Smaller, Leaner athletic program...

zip81

Hmmmm... everything I have posted is exactly what Miller has danced around...

Miller also said he expects the university to continue with Division I athletics, although a proposal for substantial cuts to the athletic department budget will be released next week.

• Wait and see this report and compare to what I have posted

Miller said it was the “sense of the board” that the university will continue to have DI athletics, and that he was moving forward under the assumption that would continue to be the case. 

• Akron can (and will) cut multiple sports and still be D1

Miller has proposed a reorganization that would take the university from 11 colleges to five, but so far does not cut any programs.

• Exactly what I shared.  Just rebuilding all that exists now in 5 funnels and cutting a lot of administrative dead weight

Some of you truly have no idea what you are talking about on any level.  It's comedic.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, DannyHoke said:

Hmmmm... everything I have posted is exactly what Miller has danced around...

Miller also said he expects the university to continue with Division I athletics, although a proposal for substantial cuts to the athletic department budget will be released next week.

• Wait and see this report and compare to what I have posted

Miller said it was the “sense of the board” that the university will continue to have DI athletics, and that he was moving forward under the assumption that would continue to be the case. 

• Akron can (and will) cut multiple sports and still be D1

Miller has proposed a reorganization that would take the university from 11 colleges to five, but so far does not cut any programs.

• Exactly what I shared.  Just rebuilding all that exists now in 5 funnels and cutting a lot of administrative dead weight

Some of you truly have no idea what you are talking about on any level.  It's comedic.

What's your point?  Do you want credit for "knowing" someone close to the board and obtaining "intel" from him or her and "leaking" that information on to a message board?  Does this make you feel important?

Was there anyone who seriously thought we'd be dropping out of D1? There are schools that spend under $5 million/yr and 'compete' in D1. Even with a 20% reduction to athletics spending our budget would be $27.9 million. That would still put us ahead of what NIU and BGSU are currently spending. All these other schools are going to be making cuts as well so we'll still end up being somewhere in the middle of the MAC spending wise.

image.png

52 minutes ago, DannyHoke said:

On this, I think everyone would agree . . . particularly if you are included . . . both not knowing what you are talking about and being comedic.  

Most of us admit it.  You don't.  

Her are my thoughts-- and I'm not looking to get attacked on here, but the reality is that the Athletic Dept  has been a mess for a long time, and I am surprised that no significant moves were ever made to spend responsibly.

I think the Zips drop to FCS... and over time pull back from the 63 scholly limit to something in the 50 range (I think other schools will also follow suit). I would then defund everything except football and basketball (head counts)... on the mens side you would keep  football, basketball, golf, rifle, baseball, and cross country... On the women's side you need to keep  (and fund the following) basketball, volleyball, tennis, softball, golf, and lacrosse,  and (defund) cross country, rifle

When you pull back from the 63 scholly limit to something in the 50's , you would then start defunding again on the women's side.  ... first up would be lacrosse and its 12 schollys.

This does not take into account any conference issues, but those partners need to come along, or you need to look elsewhere or operate as an independent .

I would only offer cross country -- I would not offer track and field.

Defund = no scholarships

Edited by morris buttermaker

27 minutes ago, morris buttermaker said:

Her are my thoughts-- and I'm not looking to get attacked on here, but the reality is that the Athletic Dept  has been a mess for a long time, and I am surprised that no significant moves were ever made to spend responsibly.

I think the Zips drop to FCS... and over time pull back from the 63 scholly limit to something in the 50 range (I think other schools will also follow suit). I would then defund everything except football and basketball (head counts)... on the mens side you would keep  football, basketball, golf, rifle, baseball, and cross country... On the women's side you need to keep  (and fund the following) basketball, volleyball, tennis, softball, golf, and lacrosse,  and (defund) cross country, rifle

When you pull back from the 63 scholly limit to something in the 50's , you would then start defunding again on the women's side.  ... first up would be lacrosse and its 12 schollys.

This does not take into account any conference issues, but those partners need to come along, or you need to look elsewhere or operate as an independent .

I would only offer cross country -- I would not offer track and field.

Defund = no scholarships

Lacrosse, like baseball, in non scholarship.  The MAC is a good alliance for all the member schools.   As a conference, they will need to decide where to go with football.  Akron can't just go off on its own and hope to survive.  I like the #s above from KReed.  There is room to downsize.  Also, I think the crisis escalated the restructuring of academics that was long planned.  That can be handled in-house if you will.  Athletics is going to take some time.  and the crisis isn't a good time to make a decision that they will really regret down the road.

9 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Lacrosse, like baseball, in non scholarship.  The MAC is a good alliance for all the member schools.   As a conference, they will need to decide where to go with football.  Akron can't just go off on its own and hope to survive.  I like the #s above from KReed.  There is room to downsize.  Also, I think the crisis escalated the restructuring of academics that was long planned.  That can be handled in-house if you will.  Athletics is going to take some time.  and the crisis isn't a good time to make a decision that they will really regret down the road.

if Lacrosse is non scholarship, they will need to fund it now (title IX)..it is a cheap women's sport, and is needed to offset the FB numbers... you then defund it as the FB count goes down

3 minutes ago, morris buttermaker said:

if Lacrosse is non scholarship, they will need to fund it now (title IX)..it is a cheap women's sport, and is needed to offset the FB numbers... you then defund it as the FB count goes down

you may want to email the A. D. with that idea.

On 5/6/2020 at 9:06 PM, UA1987 said:

On 5/6/2020 at 7:11 PM, UA1987 said:

You are assuming that athletes are not coached and are not developed by the limited 'institutions' , as you say, that are out there struggling to keep costs down. If it is to be the way you would want it I would be happy if these same athletes were not given any athletic scholarship at all as the last thing I want to support is some primadonna that turns his or her back on the people that helped make him or her develop to what they turned out to be. Sick, raw, backstabing that I would not support.   

Does it help?  Sure.  And the coaches are paid HANDSOMELY for helping to train those students.  Yet they get paid millions, and don't actually do the game itself.  But okay...on let's do a thought experiment: Ohio State get's all of Akron's players.  If the institution and coaches is more important to building them into winners, than Ohio State should be able to go 10-2 against normal Ohio State opponents with Akron's roster right?  C'mon now...be honest...you KNOW that TALENT and athletic ability is a key factor, not just coaching.

Like I don't get why you don't see how it's kinda wrong for EVERYONE to get paid handsomely, but the students almost have to be punished?  Like it's mind boggling to me.  I'm not advocating for them getting paid millions.  But they should at the VERY LEAST be able to sign autographs for idiots who are willing to pay for them, or be in a commercial or w/e.  At the very LEAST.  That's ZERO business of the institution, the coaches or the NCAA.  ZERO.  And the institution should NOT get a cut, unless of course they are wearing some branded thing, just like any other contract.

I can't believe I'm being the capitalist here...

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 10:43 AM, DannyHoke said:

It's amusing to read the comments on this page every few days as some truly believe that Football brings in substantial dollars at Akron.  Akron Football is an abyss.  

This is Akron Football in Pictures   Explain the positives that this imagery provides The University, it's Academic Mission, it's Athletic Brand, and adds to the value of our diplomas?

Yup it amuses me too.  It's the same old, tired, business bullshit I've heard my entire life.  Just mindless justification for something that is observationally and objectively not correct.  It's pretty damn obvious that Football is an abyss, and it's pretty damn obvious it's an albatross that's been artificially kept alive ONLY by the graces of pay-day games.  The LAST HOPE for this program was by some miracle that Bowden would miraculously do something (in my opinion of course) and it never materialized.  It's time to put the deathnail in the coffin and move on.  0-12 last year...

If Akron cuts Soccer over Football I'm done with the University.  I'll have my fond memories of the past and never step on the campus again.  Because that would be just pure stupidity.  I have far more fond memories of Akron Soccer than I do of Akron football.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zip-Grad '13 said:

Is that when we finally do something about Wuhan, China? The worlds bat eating disease factory?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Zip-Grad '13 said:

I have far more fond memories of Akron Soccer than I do of Akron football.

There have certainly been far more opportunities for fond memories with soccer than football.  As I said pages ago, if the standard for cuts is historical success, football is in trouble while soccer and basketball should be safe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

There have certainly been far more opportunities for fond memories with soccer than football.  As I said pages ago, if the standard for cuts is historical success, football is in trouble while soccer and basketball should be safe.

in keeping with the memories theme, which I agree with. you have to remember back in the 80s when UA forced Huggins and company to go independent so football could be 1A.  Life as an independent is not sustainable.  Can we really justify flying our womens golf and cross country teams and the rest  accross the country for (summit league) conference matches?  It seems like whatever we save by dropping football would be spent on new expenses plus wed still have Infocision to pay off.

30 minutes ago, infofan said:

in keeping with the memories theme, which I agree with. you have to remember back in the 80s when UA forced Huggins and company to go independent so football could be 1A.  Life as an independent is not sustainable.  Can we really justify flying our womens golf and cross country teams and the rest  accross the country for (summit league) conference matches?  It seems like whatever we save by dropping football would be spent on new expenses plus wed still have Infocision to pay off.

You have to wonder where we'd be if at that time Muse would have been content to let Huggins continue to grow the program on his terms and held on to Dennison and allowed him to continue with his success in I-AA rather than throw caution to the wind and bring in Faust to Go to D1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

held on to Dennison and allowed him to continue with his success in I-AA

The legend of Jim Dennison is different than the reality. He was barely over .500 in I-AA.

The real question is....  Where would we be if when they brought in Faust, they didn't keep Dennison around as an AD? 

2 minutes ago, GP1 said:

The legend of Jim Dennison is different than the reality. He was barely over .500 in I-AA.

The real question is....  Where would we be if when they brought in Faust, they didn't keep Dennison around as an AD? 

I realize that to a certain extent, but he led them to an 8-4 record and the D2 playoffs in his last year and won 20 games in his last three seasons.  He was also a top notch guy from what I understand.   34-28-1 in D1-AA.  That's damn near statue worthy in recent UA football history.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

That depends on how recent you want to go. Last year men’s soccer won 39% of their games. Maybe Track should stay instead of soccer.?

8 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I realize that to a certain extent, but he led them to an 8-4 record and the D2 playoffs in his last year and won 20 games in his last three seasons.  He was also a top notch guy from what I understand.   34-28-1 in D1-AA.  That's damn near statue worthy in recent UA football history.

Spare me the stats game. He was the Lee Owens of the OVC. A nice guy, but not someone to get you over the top. At least Owens has great players at Marshall and Miami as an excuses.

In reality, Dennison was not the guy to take the program forward and Huggins wasn't going to be around Akron much longer. The effects of Huggy's influence would be long gone. 

He was a terrible athletic director. He set the program back years. 

12 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Spare me the stats game. He was the Lee Owens of the OVC. A nice guy, but not someone to get you over the top. At least Owens has great players at Marshall and Miami as an excuses.

In reality, Dennison was not the guy to take the program forward and Huggins wasn't going to be around Akron much longer. The effects of Huggy's influence would be long gone. 

He was a terrible athletic director. He set the program back years. 

Spare me the stats game?  I wasn't banging his drum,  I was stating his record.  Excuse me.

In reality, Gerry Faust wasn't the guy to take the program forward either.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

2 hours ago, GP1 said:

The real question is, if UA flushed football at that time and concentrated on basketball, could the Zips have had the successes of Gonzaga and Butler or George Mason, from time to time?

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

In reality, Gerry Faust wasn't the guy to take the program forward either.

No one has been the guy to take the program forward, including not only the football head coaches but also the Athletic Directors and their associates who have done such a lousy job of hiring them.

2 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

The real question is, if UA flushed football at that time and concentrated on basketball, could the Zips have had the successes of Gonzaga and Butler or George Mason, from time to time?

If my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle.  The rest is unknown.