Smaller, Leaner athletic program...

zip81

From Wikipedia-

The division winners, assuming they are bowl-eligible, are guaranteed a bowl berth.

2019[8]:

The LendingTree Bowl (traditionally conference champion versus Sun Belt)

The Camellia Bowl versus Sun Belt

The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl versus Mountain West

The Frisco Bowl as an At-Large among BYU, Mountain West, or Conference USA versus the American Athletic

The Bahamas Bowl versus Conference USA

You may be right. I remember way back when the chap went to this bowl, the runner up to that bowl, next best record to another...

Edited by Spin

2 minutes ago, Spin said:

You may be right. I remember way back when the chap went to this bowl, the runner up to that bowl, next best record to another...

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

From Wikipedia-

The division winners, assuming they are bowl-eligible, are guaranteed a bowl berth.

2019[8]:

The LendingTree Bowl (traditionally conference champion versus Sun Belt)

The Camellia Bowl versus Sun Belt

The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl versus Mountain West

The Frisco Bowl as an At-Large among BYU, Mountain West, or Conference USA versus the American Athletic

The Bahamas Bowl versus Conference USA

Yep that's the order they get to pick. Our champ went to the Lending Tree Bowl last year, and Boca the year before, which is the same bowl we went to in 2017 when it wasn't even a MAC affiliated bowl. 

Also from Spins article

Rather, most conferences have draft orders.

So where you see "Big 12 2 vs. Pac-12 2" in the Alamo Bowl, that doesn't mean that the second-place teams in those leagues play each other. It means the Alamo gets the second pick of the non-Playoff teams in both leagues. Whether it actually picks the second place team is a different matter

8 hours ago, Spin said:

I'm a soccer fan too, from the days of the Cleveland Cobras of the old ASL, to the Cleveland Force, Canton Invaders, and Cleveland Crunch from indoor pinball, the Cleveland Caps (I know the team owner), the Columbus Crew and CLE SC. I'm not abdicating shutting down the soccer program.  I have no idea where you got that idea. 

This isn't us vs. them.

I know...I was just using the running theme here that Soccer is on the cut table while football is not.  I'm saying it should be the other way around.  I know sometimes we don't like to deal with "hypotheticals" because at the end of the day nobody here has any say.  But c'mon everyone...we're without ALL sports right now except...(I kid you not I saw this on ESPN the other day)...marble races.  Which is actually surprisingly fun to watch for 10-15 min!  This is more of a broad statement not a dig or anything at you haha ; ) 

8 hours ago, Spin said:

One week everyone wants football to play 2 or 3 "payday" slaughters to bankroll the athletic department. This week we should cut football altogether because of attendance (even though more people STILL go to football games than any other sport). 

I'm glad the forum doesn't make the decisions in the Athletic Dept. (or anywhere else).

I mean yeah...this week the entire world infrastructure collapsed and the house-of-cards was lay bare.  The 2-3 payday slaughters was an attempt to reconcile the already out-of-control house of cards and maintain the program.  It was a more long-term strategy, one that isn't really viable after the floor falls out.  They aren't mutually exclusive ideas...or logically inconsistent or something...the circumstances have drastically changed.

10 hours ago, GP1 said:

This is a really good point and central to what I have been concerned about as it relates to schools like ours for a few years. I would bet a lot of money your lack of interest didn't happen overnight. All of us have been given two scenarios by the morons who run our athletic departments. Fans can pick one or the other or both.

... There is a really good book called "The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*$k"....

I've always called it the "Culture of Resume Building".  And that's All Akron has ever been IMHO.  Those who did "give a damn" were never kept or given meaningful opportunities for vertical movement, so they got gobbled up by other institutions.  And those that are usually here are here to pad the Resume for something better(Matt Wilson) or pad the Retirement fund (Proenza).

As for the fan aspect, spot on.  I agree it's been a gradual thing.  You can tell when I graduated (2013) and I was lucky enough to be there for a National Championship and some other fun stuff, and always wanted to be a diehard afterwards.  But it has never seemed like Akron was ever taking a step forward or in a positive direction, and has always slowly slipped.  Absolutely No Vision.

26 minutes ago, Zip-Grad '13 said:

I've always called it the "Culture of Resume Building".  

I call it "The Building Process".  Either way, here we are living in the national nightmare it created. It's not just Akron. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GP1 said:

I call it "The Building Process".  Either way, here we are living in the national nightmare it created. It's not just Akron. 

"Building Process" .. "Big Dialer" .. good times.

Pleasantly surprised to peruse the forum for the first time in awhile, in time to catch a GP1 appearance. 

I'd just like to drop in briefly to say hello to the Great GP1.  I'd do it in a PM ... but you know .. 

Good health and safety to all Zips fans.  

#MACChamps

#GoZips

10 minutes ago, Zip Watcher said:

"Building Process" .. "Big Dialer" .. good times.

Pleasantly surprised to peruse the forum for the first time in awhile, in time to catch a GP1 appearance. 

Thanks. My observations have been brilliantly articulated as usual...  And wildly misinterpreted by some readers. Some things never change. 

Time away from watching the MAC in person and season tickets to a low to mid level ACC team has given me a healthy perspective on what could be possible at Akron. I'm certain a decent product on the field combined with a solid fan experience can go a long way to righting the ship for all MAClike schools. It really isn't hard. There isn't anything going on at a Wake Forest game that couldn't be done at Akron or any other MAC school in terms of game day experience. Schools like Akron are just focused on the wrong thing. Actually, their athletic directors are focused on the wrong thing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I went to the Pitt game at Wake in 2018 and there were as many Pitt fans as Wake. Was just like being at a Zips game ?

I hope you had the good sense to sit on the Wake side and avoid the skin cancer sun beating on the visitors side. 

Seriously, did you enjoy your day and is Wake doing anything Akron couldn't reasonably do got the fan experience with just a little effort?

2 minutes ago, GP1 said:

I hope you had the good sense to sit on the Wake side and avoid the skin cancer sun beating on the visitors side. 

Seriously, did you enjoy your day and is Wake doing anything Akron couldn't reasonably do got the fan experience with just a little effort?

Nope we were on the visitors side but the sun felt good for mid November. 

We had a great time. Stadium is beautiful and proves you don't need a 100k seat stadium for a good time in CFB. It's a different animal when the draw is Clemson, NC State, Louisville, FSU each year.. Nothing special though that we couldn't do. Need an AD with a vision to make it a fun experience, but the weekday games have to go for that. I surely don't have the answers but I'm also sure that our product and attendance for our market is not nearly as good as it can be.

11 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Nothing special though that we couldn't do. Need an AD with a vision to make it a fun experience, 

Exactly.  Wake Forest and Akron have almost exactly the same size stadiums. In every way, Akron has a nicer stadium. Wake gets small crowds for teams like Tulane, Boston College, etc., but the same game day experience takes place regardless of the crowd size.

4 minutes ago, MikeHoncho said:

image.png

I haven't seen this posted anywhere else - has anybody noticed that the University's official event calendar has the Youngstown State and U Mass games cancelled? 

What about Clemson and NMSU? Seems odd UMASS would be cancelled but not Miami. Maybe the MAC is looking at a conference only schedule this year?

19 minutes ago, LZIp said:

What about Clemson and NMSU? Seems odd UMASS would be cancelled but not Miami. Maybe the MAC is looking at a conference only schedule this year?

I bet they are going to conference only and moving games to Mid-September first of October.  

25 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Both of their Athletics websites still have it on with the time TBA.

Awesome.  So excited about the football season.  I really think this is the comeback year for the Zips.  Arth has this team going in the right direction

12 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Awesome.  So excited about the football season.  I really think this is the comeback year for the Zips.  Arth has this team going in the right direction

Only way to go is up!

I really do hope it works out.  I like Arth and the his priorities, so I hope this is the year we start seeing some results in the win column.

5 hours ago, MikeHoncho said:

image.png

I haven't seen this posted anywhere else - has anybody noticed that the University's official event calendar has the Youngstown State and U Mass games cancelled? 

Welcome to the board. Can I ask where you saw this?