Smaller, Leaner athletic program...

zip81

I like the idea competitively, regardless of the economics. Some interest at the end of the season for schools on the #8 bubble spot. I don't like it from an Akron standpoint of usually being a top 4 seed and now I don't see any plausible scenario for byes with 8 teams.

On 5/7/2020 at 9:43 AM, DannyHoke said:

Soccer, Track and Field/Cross Country and Swimming are all seriously in play to be eliminated at Akron. Add in Lacrosse for the Zips, and Wrestling in the MAC overall.  All have big budgets and the MAC will no longer be sponsoring championships in these sports.

If you choose to believe otherwise, that's your right. Wait, Watch and Learn.

"The men’s cross country team, the men’s golf team and the women’s tennis team will be cut, according to the university." 

We waited, watched, and learned that your "sources" were as suspect as we thought.  ?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Cykron said:

"The men’s cross country team, the men’s golf team and the women’s tennis team will be cut, according to the university." 

We waited, watched, and learned that your "sources" were as suspect as we thought.  ?

Good one!!

22 minutes ago, Cykron said:

Hey...cut him some slack. 1 out of 5 ain't bad! ?

Edited by LZIp

21 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Hey...cut him some slack. 1 out of 5 ain't bad! ?

Are you saying that he is the minor league baseball Michael Jordan of predictions?  

1 hour ago, dre22era said:

Financially, this is a good idea. In practice, let's look at the law of unintended consequences.

When I was in school, travel squad was 47, not sure how the "building process" got it above 70, but the mysteries behind the "building process"...well, you know. 

In practice, herding the animals the night before a game is important. In reality, fans of home teams are going to have to accept that some players are going to be as hung over as Micky Mantle during a Sunday double header. Some are going to be suspended for the game because they were caught out drinking.

In reality, the traveling team numbers need to be lowered to below 60. This will create some really lopsided scores when facing a poor home team, but too bad. If NFL teams can put on a game with 47 players, so can the NCAA.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Great idea. We could each bring one or two of our sex dolls to the game and double or triple the attendance. Who said marketing was dead at our university!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Great idea. We could each bring one or two of our sex dolls to the game and double or triple the attendance. Who said marketing was dead at our university!

I suggest that in addition to dressing each doll in an appropriate manner for a football game, each doll should also be wearing a COVID-19 mask. Otherwise TV viewers might wonder why so many of our fans appear to be perpetually surprised at something.  

?

Edited by Zipmeister
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

I suggest that in addition to dressing each doll in an appropriate manner for a football game, each doll should also be wearing a COVID-19 mask. Otherwise TV viewers might wonder why so many of our fans appear to be perpetually surprised at something.  

?

I’ll bring a battery powered air pump.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2020 at 1:46 PM, LZIp said:

Very interesting, but not interesting enough. My idea is better, but I'm an Akron grad, not an Ivy League grad so that shouldn't be a surprise. 

The key is not for one conference to do it. The key is to get a few conferences to do it (Hint: G5 conferences). Start a ten game season in March. End the season at the beginning of June. Have a playoff in June with a National Championship game on July 4th.

If we had a large committee of smart people, and by smart I don't mean the moronic athletic directors who are ruining G5 football, who could kick around this idea, that would be awesome.

Edited by GP1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GP1 said:

Very interesting, but not interesting enough. My idea is better, but I'm an Akron grad, not an Ivy League grad so that shouldn't be a surprise. 

The key is not for one conference to do it. The key is to get a few conferences to do it (Hint: G5 conferences). Start a ten game season in March. End the season at the beginning of June. Have a playoff in June with a National Championship game on July 4th.

If we had a large committee of smart people, and by smart I don't mean the moronic athletic directors who are ruining G5 football, who could kick around this idea, that would be awesome.

The committee should be limited to university and college presidents and  members of the school's board of trustees.

On 7/2/2020 at 11:22 AM, Zipmeister said:

The committee should be limited to university and college presidents and  members of the school's board of trustees.

Has our Board of Trustees been making very good decisions recently?  The committee should communicate clear recommendations that would be difficult to screw up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GP1 said:

Has our Board of Trustees been making very good decisions recently?  The committee should communicate clear recommendations that would be difficult to screw up. 

UofA's board members would not be eligible for committee membership given your requirement that the members be smart.