Smaller, Leaner athletic program...

zip81

THINGS ARE TOUGH ALL OVER. (although some of these "sports" are clearly superfluous)

Stanford University, which has one of the largest Division I sports programs in the country, is cutting 11 of its varsity sports after the 2020-21 season, citing a financial deficit that became significantly more problematic due to the coronavirus pandemic.

"Stanford will discontinue 11 of our varsity sports programs at the conclusion of the 2020-21 academic year: men’s and women’s fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men’s volleyball and wrestling," the university said in a statement, describing the decision as "heartbreaking."

Stanford currently has 36 Division I varsity sports, double the national average. The institution explained that the size of its athletics program had created a financial strain in recent years.

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

THINGS ARE TOUGH ALL OVER. (although some of these "sports" are clearly superfluous)

Stanford University, which has one of the largest Division I sports programs in the country, is cutting 11 of its varsity sports after the 2020-21 season, citing a financial deficit that became significantly more problematic due to the coronavirus pandemic.

"Stanford will discontinue 11 of our varsity sports programs at the conclusion of the 2020-21 academic year: men’s and women’s fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men’s volleyball and wrestling," the university said in a statement, describing the decision as "heartbreaking."

Stanford currently has 36 Division I varsity sports, double the national average. The institution explained that the size of its athletics program had created a financial strain in recent years.

Losing squash, lightweight rowing and synchronized swimming would indeed be heartbreaking.  Just think of the TV and tournament money they'll be losing.

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

I didn't lose faith in the sustainability of college sports until Stanford Squash went away. Nothing is sacred anymore

Zips football only draws 5000 more per game than Stanford Squash.... mens basketball only 2600 more.  Those Stanford sports also have produced 27 Olympic medals

Edited by morris buttermaker

15 hours ago, morris buttermaker said:

Zips football only draws 5000 more per game than Stanford Squash.... mens basketball only 2600 more.  Those Stanford sports also have produced 27 Olympic medals

To clarify, that would be sold tickets not actual attendance.  By actual butts in seats, Stanford squash as well as lightweight rowing would compete with Akron football.

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

It's my understanding that there may have been ulterior motives for some of the cuts at Stanford.

For example, I heard the main reason synchronized swimming was cut was to head-off a gender discrimination lawsuit by 72Roo who wanted to try out for the team. ?

Made me think of this hilarious old SNL skit.  It may be 72 in training-

BIG 10 cancels OOC schedule which likely means all MAC shools scheduled to play them are missing out on serious cash. Would be a pleasant surprise if we could benefit for once and still get to play Clemson. Odds aren't on our side though.

50 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

They aren't going to take the team down to South Carolina in this situation.  I think a conference only season is the best route to go if they can make it happen.  The states in the MAC have things somewhat more under control.

5 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

They aren't going to take the team down to South Carolina in this situation.  I think a conference only season is the best route to go if they can make it happen.  The states in the MAC have things somewhat more under control.

Which means no big pay day games for Akron....further cuts, likely. Any contracts likely have an out clause that includes pandemics whether or not stated specifically as "pandemic".

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Which means no big pay day games for Akron....further cuts, likely. Any contracts likely have an out clause that includes pandemics whether or not stated specifically as "pandemic".

I'm only giving an opinion.  I have no idea how this will play out.  But Ball State, CMU, and BG each had two Big Ten games.  There's like $4mill off the table.

Edited by NWAkron

41 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I'm only giving an opinion.  I have no idea how this will play out.  But Ball State, CMU, and BG each had two Big Ten games.  There's like $4mill off the table.

The big 10 decision was 18 million the Mac won’t get.  The pac 12 & Acc are suggesting they are going to follow suit

the Mac had 4 acc games scheduled 

Edited by 94zipgrad

Screw the P5 and move G5 football to spring. We can’t continue to rely on them and they have too much power/don’t want us as it is. Might as well be in two different divisions anyways considering zero chance to win a national championship and not much better to get into a high bowl game. I have a really good feeling Ivy League isn’t going to regret the decision. Football is America’s sport.

G5 programs already have an established fan base that will continue to grow when no other football is on. More ticket revenue + renegotiated TV deals could easily have us break even or come out ahead compared to now. This isn’t the same situation as these failing pro leagues building from the ground up.

• Like 2