Smaller, Leaner athletic program...

zip81

16 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Thet are also missing out on other P5 games.

Yep, replacing them with P5 in conference.  I can also see independents Notre Dame and BYU filling their schedules and filling out P5 conference schedules by essentially joining a P5 conference for football (e.g. ND playing an all ACC schedule).

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Yep, replacing them with P5 in conference.  I can also see independents Notre Dame and BYU filling their schedules and filling out P5 conference schedules by essentially joining a P5 conference for football (e.g. ND playing an all ACC schedule).

Notre Dame has 6 ACC games this year, if you need 9 games for a complete schedule For playoffs, there will be a lot of teams willing to fill in there schedule 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Notre Dame has 6 ACC games this year, if you need 9 games for a complete schedule For playoffs, there will be a lot of teams willing to fill in there schedule 

The ACC should take this opportunity to bring ND in for everything. ND needs to give up their idea of themselves as their current path is rapidly making them an irrelevant. If they cancelled their entire football program, P5 football would just shrug and move on.

• Like 2

Immediately fill out the schedule with MAC schools. Play 11 games, have a championship and call it a season. If football can be played, the players on the team should get the opportunity to compete in as many games as possible with as little travel as possible.

Now might be a really good time for that committee of G5 schools, excluding athletic directors, to start to form. Nothing can be done for at least 12 months so there is time. Something different needs to happen and it needs to happen sooner rather than later so G5s aren't standing around with only our wankers in our hands.

BTW, my brother is close friends with a defensive coordinator at a P5 school. The cancellation of non conference games has been in the works for weeks now and they have been preparing for it. Do you think the issue of P5 schools going their own way isn't being discussed?  

1 hour ago, zippypitt said:

The article is also a sad but true testament to state of our country and all the idiots out there who can't dare be inconvenienced and the politicians who cater to them.   If you want your kids in school, if you want your daughter to have a wedding, you want to enjoy football and basketball then take the next month and wear a mask, keep your distance, and don't crowd into bars, restaurants, church services whatever.  As the article said, had we done this and stuck with it, we wouldn't be in this mess now.  You don't learn anything from the second kick of the mule.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

It's my understanding that there may have been ulterior motives for some of the cuts at Stanford.

For example, I heard the main reason synchronized swimming was cut was to head-off a gender discrimination lawsuit by 72Roo who wanted to try out for the team. ?

Don't laugh damn it! I would have made it! I've got a wicked flutter kick and a great makeup coach. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I think these schools were expecting this.  We always have Youngstown State/

So there won't be many Div. 1 games played in September. With people jonesing for some football, it should help viewership for the games that do get played and some may get on tv that otherwise wouldn't.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dre22era said:

Who are these idiots? ⬆️

Baseball dad: 1/10th of the G5 schools will be killed? I wish people actually understood the words they use.

Mike Conti: How was the MAC on thin ice?  In spite of our horrible athletic directors and conference leaders, the schools were still functioning. The conferences don't lose the money. Schools lose the money. However, if you want to look at what a small amount of money it is in comparison. If every MAC school roughly had the same athletic budget as Akron, the roughly $20 million you point to is less than 10% of the budgets. The schools/taxpayers can find a way absorb those costs for a year. G5 schools have much bigger problems than athletics spending.

2 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

So there won't be many Div. 1 games played in September. With people jonesing for some football, it should help viewership for the games that do get played and some may get on tv that otherwise wouldn't.

Agree. Unfortunately that still doesn't likely mean any more $$ for us. Anyone in addition to the norm who would normally come won't be able to with whatever social distancing measures that will be in place.

9 hours ago, dre22era said:

This is exactly what happens when we defend being in a mediocre at best conference who gives us absolutely nothing and we don't shake the table for change 

Take a bow. The end is near  

Please, blame it on the conference?  Which other, larger, stronger conferences have lined up to offer entry to Akron?

29 minutes ago, jupitertoo said:

Please, blame it on the conference?  Which other, larger, stronger conferences have lined up to offer entry to Akron?

Who would want to offer us anything when we have a bunch of naive homers who always believes everything is perfectly fine. 

The responses on this forum speak for themselves 

1 hour ago, dre22era said:

Who would want to offer us anything when we have a bunch of naive homers who always believes everything is perfectly fine. 

The responses on this forum speak for themselves 

You haven't answered the question.  Bitching is easy.  Solutions, not so much.

People who don't see another home for the Zips aren't homers.  If anything, they are quite the opposite.  They're realists or defeatists.