Smaller, Leaner athletic program...

zip81

6 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

No road trip to Clemson, was really looking forward to this trip for a few years now, Damn COVID-19, I had already come to terms with it but I guess it’s official now

You aren't missing much. Parking is terrible. Leg room for four foot tall people. Terrible traffic on game day. It would also be an inferno. Count your lucky stars 

On 7/10/2020 at 7:38 PM, Zipmeister said:

Here is a part of an article published in the Lincoln Journal star. I'm not sure I believe that Nebraska will be paying the guarantees to the teams they have dropped from their schedule this year, but that's what their AD (Moos) says they might do.

Nebraska had been scheduled to play nonconference home games against Central Michigan (Sept. 12), South Dakota State (Sept. 19) and Cincinnati (Sept. 26). NU was set to pay $1.3 million to Central Michigan, $515,000 to South Dakota State and $400,000 to Cincinnati. 

Moos is sensitive to the financial hit those schools incur as a result of the Big Ten's plan for 2020.

"Depending on what things look like in the future, we want to bring them back at a later date," he said. "But certainly we're very open to discussions about paying the (contractual) guarantees and such. You know, that's only fair." 

BUMP

Nobody with a comment?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

BUMP

Nobody with a comment?

They might be contractually obligated to pay. What argument do they have not to play/pay when they are going to go ahead and still play their conference games as of now? P5 is the one breaching the contracts. Even though they might have to pay, they are still likely coming out ahead financially by canceling the games. Don't have to deal with game day costs and they likely aren't missing out on ticket revenue.

The more I think about it, I'm pretty confident G5's will at least get a substantial fraction of their payout in whatever channel they have to go through. A P5 being proactive and paying may think they are doing it for good PR or whatever, but realistically they are just avoiding a bunch of legal fees + eventually paying out by doing so.

On 7/12/2020 at 12:41 AM, dre22era said:

YSU was gonna kick our ass anyway 

"Competition will be limited to MAC institutional members beginning no earlier than September 18th, 2020 and with the goal of reaching NCAA minimums in all sports."

I added the bold in what is throwing me for a loop. So, based on that, would non-conference games PRIOR to September 18th still be played? That doesn't sound like cancelling the non conference schedule. In which case, the YSU game is September 5th, 2020 and would still be played?

"Many if not all contracts include a force majeure clause, a provision excusing one or both parties’ obligations when circumstances arise beyond their control that make the contract impossible. Like, for instance, a global pandemic. However, there could be a legal opening, suggests another Group of Five AD. In the Big Ten’s case, the conference still plans to play football—just not against conference foes. “At the end of the day, is there going to be enough reason to stand on to get out of paying the guarantees?” asks the AD."

https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/10/college-football-buy-games-group-of-five

2 hours ago, The Yo Show said:

"Competition will be limited to MAC institutional members beginning no earlier than September 18th, 2020 and with the goal of reaching NCAA minimums in all sports."

I added the bold in what is throwing me for a loop. So, based on that, would non-conference games PRIOR to September 18th still be played? That doesn't sound like cancelling the non conference schedule. In which case, the YSU game is September 5th, 2020 and would still be played?

that's a different conference.

2 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Seems like it may be tough to argue that it's impossible to play a MAC opponent if you're playing 8-10 conference games. Especially for the B1G - when we have the same footprint. Clemson may have an easier time arguing against bringing us in from Ohio

The real MAC isn't likely to limit anything and let the bigger conferences try to change and modify the schedule.

On 7/11/2020 at 9:46 PM, Blue & Gold said:

George is a public figure and as such takes a bit of a beating on this board and elsewhere. Beatings go with the territory.  However, he did throw the University a lifeline with this article as it relates to public discussion about the Athletic Department. 

Can the University right the public message?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, LZIp said:

COVID 19 are the magic words BIG schools can use to get out of paying the guarantees .  It's really generous of some BIG schools considering making the payments any way, but I will be amazed if low tier BIGs pay a dime because they cannot afford to be as charitable.

13 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

COVID 19 are the magic words BIG schools can use to get out of paying the guarantees .  It's really generous of some BIG schools considering making the payments any way, but I will be amazed if low tier BIGs pay a dime because they cannot afford to be as charitable.

It would be interesting to see the language of the contracts. I bet in the future they all have a disaster clause, if not already.