Smaller, Leaner athletic program...

zip81

2 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Welcome to the board. Can I ask where you saw this?

It was on https://www.uakron.edu/calendar/

But now... magically... they are back on the schedule. Weird.

I've lurked on the board for years, and finally posted when I thought I had juicy information. Just like that, the university turned me into a liar!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Multiple MAC postseason tournaments eliminated, basketball divisions scrapped, 20 game hoops conference schedule

https://www.wtol.com/amp/article/sports/major-changes-coming-to-mid-american-conference/512-0e4f0d45-546b-432f-89a1-67a5a6d8fe3c?__twitter_impression=true

I wonder how they'll go about scheduling. Hopefully us playing the likes of Buffalo, Kent, and OWho every year is preserved. 20 game schedule means you'd theoretically played 10 teams twice, so there would be one team you wouldn't play annually. Wouldn't make too big of a difference - but it would be nice to see some strategy behind the scheduling for NCAA tourney resume. Ex - projected/prior year top team doesn't play the projected/prior year worst team.

6 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I wonder how they'll go about scheduling. Hopefully us playing the likes of Buffalo, Kent, and OWho every year is preserved. 20 game schedule means you'd theoretically played 10 teams twice, so there would be one team you wouldn't play annually. Wouldn't make too big of a difference - but it would be nice to see some strategy behind the scheduling for NCAA tourney resume. Ex - projected/prior year top team doesn't play the projected/prior year worst team.

Well you'd play nine teams twice and two once. Would be easier to just play 22 and get everyone twice. I'm hopeful they'd lock in any rivalries twice a year and just rotate the others. Some outside the box thinking would be nice but I don't see a whole lot of flexibility there

58 minutes ago, LZIp said:

We'll continue to play everyone at least once, like we do now. We will play 9 teams 2x and 2 teams 1x.

Edit: I'd kind of expect them to still preserve division style schedules where we'd play Buffalo, Ohio, & Kent 2x. If the MAC is looking to do whatever it can to reduce costs it makes more sense for them to have Buffalo play Akron 2x instead of having them play NIU 2x. 

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I don't see the conference benefit of cutting the first round games.  I can't imagine they cost much of anything.  The Horizon league does that, and I never liked it.  But times are tough.

For Akron who's kind of in the middle probably not. If Buffalo has to travel to NIU that probably requires chartering a plane, which can be costly.

1 hour ago, MikeHoncho said:

It was on https://www.uakron.edu/calendar/

But now... magically... they are back on the schedule. Weird.

I've lurked on the board for years, and finally posted when I thought I had juicy information. Just like that, the university turned me into a liar!

Don't be a stranger, brother!  Go Zips!

Book it now: There will not be College sports in the fall. The first domino to fall is also the largest Public University System in the country.  There is precisely 0% chance other Public Institutions do not follow, and the NCAA has already said if students are not on campus sports will not be played.

"Availability of on-campus housing will be reduced, and student athletes shouldn’t expect to resume regular sports before faculty and students return to campuses", White said.

On the Flip-side: What would cancelling do for the U financially?  Would we actually come out better off budget-wise and may not need to make as drastic-a-cuts to programs?

Edited by Zip-Grad '13

1 hour ago, Zip-Grad '13 said:

Book it now: There will not be College sports in the fall. The first domino to fall is also the largest Public University System in the country.  There is precisely 0% chance other Public Institutions do not follow, and the NCAA has already said if students are not on campus sports will not be played.

"Availability of on-campus housing will be reduced, and student athletes shouldn’t expect to resume regular sports before faculty and students return to campuses", White said.

On the Flip-side: What would cancelling do for the U financially?  Would we actually come out better off budget-wise and may not need to make as drastic-a-cuts to programs?

We'd come out way worse. Right now athletics generates ~10 million in revenue. If there are no games then we get none of that. We'd save some costs on travel and game day staff, but not $10 million worth. We'd still have to pay coaches, fund scholarships, and pay for facilities financing and upkeep costs. 

14 hours ago, Zip-Grad '13 said:

It will be interesting to see the reaction in California.  By population, they have the most conservatives of any state in the country.  If you add in the liberals who like football, we may see a coup.  I don't think we have heard the last word from California about sports in the fall.  And I don't think they will have the national influence that you suggest.  Does anyone in Ohio (or Iowa) care whether they are playing football in California or not?

29 minutes ago, Cykron said:

It will be interesting to see the reaction in California.  By population, they have the most conservatives of any state in the country.  If you add in the liberals who like football, we may see a coup.  I don't think we have heard the last word from California about sports in the fall.  And I don't think they will have the national influence that you suggest.  Does anyone in Ohio (or Iowa) care whether they are playing football in California or not?

I agree about not having the influence over sports that was suggested.  The state schools include schools like CSU Bakersfield, CSU Fresno, CSU Fullerton, etc.  It does not include schools like UCLA or Cal.

A post above mentioned Central Michigan being open to students in the fall.  My daughter will be attending Bowling Green in the fall.  As of right now, BG is planning on being open to students on campus.  Across the country, I think you will have a range of decisions from no students, some students, and all students on campus..

37 minutes ago, Cykron said:

Fans/The Public opinion honestly has no weight.  The NCAA has already said No Students on Campus means no sports.  You cannot justify having sports if students aren't actually on campus, so no...there' won't be a coup.  Doesn't matter how many conservatives or Liberals or sports supporters there are.  

I'm just reading the tea leaves.  This has nothing to do about politics.  It has everything to do with a global-pandemic and how we respond.  UC is just doing whatevery university will be saying in July (if not sooner).

15 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

That's the plan anyways.  Give it till July.

8 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

I agree about not having the influence over sports that was suggested.  The state schools include schools like CSU Bakersfield, CSU Fresno, CSU Fullerton, etc.  It does not include schools like UCLA or Cal.

A post above mentioned Central Michigan being open to students in the fall.  My daughter will be attending Bowling Green in the fall.  As of right now, BG is planning on being open to students on campus.  Across the country, I think you will have a range of decisions from no students, some students, and all students on campus..

The NCAA has stated: No students on Campus No Sports.  Just reading the tea-leaves here.  Sure most universities are planning to be back on campus...they're also planning to not be back on campus as well.  

I'd but the chance of not being on campus as greater than being on campus.

On 5/12/2020 at 4:03 PM, NWAkron said:

I don't see the conference benefit of cutting the first round games.  I can't imagine they cost much of anything.  The Horizon league does that, and I never liked it.  But times are tough.

Not so much a savings for the conference, but a savings for the schools with bad teams.  Nothing like capping your season with an expensive trip to get pummeled (one final time) by a top seed.  Better for them to move on to next year.

• Like 1