Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
zip81

Smaller, Leaner athletic program...

Recommended Posts

Strange, they haven’t updated the gozips schedule yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Did we hire a Kent grad student to proof-read it?☹️

 

You made me learn something.  I never thought the one L was the US favored way to spell it.  Huh.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 3.01.58 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

 

Welcome to the board. Can I ask where you saw this?

 

It was on https://www.uakron.edu/calendar/

 

But now... magically... they are back on the schedule. Weird.

 

I've lurked on the board for years, and finally posted when I thought I had juicy information. Just like that, the university turned me into a liar!

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Multiple MAC postseason tournaments eliminated, basketball divisions scrapped, 20 game hoops conference schedule

 

https://www.wtol.com/amp/article/sports/major-changes-coming-to-mid-american-conference/512-0e4f0d45-546b-432f-89a1-67a5a6d8fe3c?__twitter_impression=true

I wonder how they'll go about scheduling. Hopefully us playing the likes of Buffalo, Kent, and OWho every year is preserved. 20 game schedule means you'd theoretically played 10 teams twice, so there would be one team you wouldn't play annually. Wouldn't make too big of a difference - but it would be nice to see some strategy behind the scheduling for NCAA tourney resume. Ex - projected/prior year top team doesn't play the projected/prior year worst team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I wonder how they'll go about scheduling. Hopefully us playing the likes of Buffalo, Kent, and OWho every year is preserved. 20 game schedule means you'd theoretically played 10 teams twice, so there would be one team you wouldn't play annually. Wouldn't make too big of a difference - but it would be nice to see some strategy behind the scheduling for NCAA tourney resume. Ex - projected/prior year top team doesn't play the projected/prior year worst team.

Well you'd play nine teams twice and two once. Would be easier to just play 22 and get everyone twice. I'm hopeful they'd lock in any rivalries twice a year and just rotate the others. Some outside the box thinking would be nice but I don't see a whole lot of flexibility there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see the conference benefit of cutting the first round games.  I can't imagine they cost much of anything.  The Horizon league does that, and I never liked it.  But times are tough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I wonder how they'll go about scheduling. Hopefully us playing the likes of Buffalo, Kent, and OWho every year is preserved. 20 game schedule means you'd theoretically played 10 teams twice, so there would be one team you wouldn't play annually. Wouldn't make too big of a difference - but it would be nice to see some strategy behind the scheduling for NCAA tourney resume. Ex - projected/prior year top team doesn't play the projected/prior year worst team.

 

We'll continue to play everyone at least once, like we do now. We will play 9 teams 2x and 2 teams 1x.

 

Edit: I'd kind of expect them to still preserve division style schedules where we'd play Buffalo, Ohio, & Kent 2x. If the MAC is looking to do whatever it can to reduce costs it makes more sense for them to have Buffalo play Akron 2x instead of having them play NIU 2x. 

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I don't see the conference benefit of cutting the first round games.  I can't imagine they cost much of anything.  The Horizon league does that, and I never liked it.  But times are tough.

 

For Akron who's kind of in the middle probably not. If Buffalo has to travel to NIU that probably requires chartering a plane, which can be costly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeHoncho said:

 

It was on https://www.uakron.edu/calendar/

 

But now... magically... they are back on the schedule. Weird.

 

I've lurked on the board for years, and finally posted when I thought I had juicy information. Just like that, the university turned me into a liar!

 

Don't be a stranger, brother!  Go Zips!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully we'll now be playing Toledo twice on an annual basis.  Throw gasoline on the UA-UT rivalry.  Man, I wish we got them again this past season 😡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2020 at 3:30 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

What's that old thing about the sharks eating the sharks?

I was picturing Godzilla vs Mothra.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Book it now: There will not be College sports in the fall. The first domino to fall is also the largest Public University System in the country.  There is precisely 0% chance other Public Institutions do not follow, and the NCAA has already said if students are not on campus sports will not be played.

"Availability of on-campus housing will be reduced, and student athletes shouldn’t expect to resume regular sports before faculty and students return to campuses", White said.

On the Flip-side: What would cancelling do for the U financially?  Would we actually come out better off budget-wise and may not need to make as drastic-a-cuts to programs?

Edited by Zip-Grad '13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zip-Grad '13 said:

Book it now: There will not be College sports in the fall. The first domino to fall is also the largest Public University System in the country.  There is precisely 0% chance other Public Institutions do not follow, and the NCAA has already said if students are not on campus sports will not be played.

"Availability of on-campus housing will be reduced, and student athletes shouldn’t expect to resume regular sports before faculty and students return to campuses", White said.

On the Flip-side: What would cancelling do for the U financially?  Would we actually come out better off budget-wise and may not need to make as drastic-a-cuts to programs?

We'd come out way worse. Right now athletics generates ~10 million in revenue. If there are no games then we get none of that. We'd save some costs on travel and game day staff, but not $10 million worth. We'd still have to pay coaches, fund scholarships, and pay for facilities financing and upkeep costs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Zip-Grad '13 said:

Book it now: There will not be College sports in the fall. The first domino to fall is also the largest Public University System in the country.  There is precisely 0% chance other Public Institutions do not follow, and the NCAA has already said if students are not on campus sports will not be played.

"Availability of on-campus housing will be reduced, and student athletes shouldn’t expect to resume regular sports before faculty and students return to campuses", White said.

On the Flip-side: What would cancelling do for the U financially?  Would we actually come out better off budget-wise and may not need to make as drastic-a-cuts to programs?

 

 

It will be interesting to see the reaction in California.  By population, they have the most conservatives of any state in the country.  If you add in the liberals who like football, we may see a coup.  I don't think we have heard the last word from California about sports in the fall.  And I don't think they will have the national influence that you suggest.  Does anyone in Ohio (or Iowa) care whether they are playing football in California or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Cykron said:

 

 

It will be interesting to see the reaction in California.  By population, they have the most conservatives of any state in the country.  If you add in the liberals who like football, we may see a coup.  I don't think we have heard the last word from California about sports in the fall.  And I don't think they will have the national influence that you suggest.  Does anyone in Ohio (or Iowa) care whether they are playing football in California or not?

I agree about not having the influence over sports that was suggested.  The state schools include schools like CSU Bakersfield, CSU Fresno, CSU Fullerton, etc.  It does not include schools like UCLA or Cal.

 

A post above mentioned Central Michigan being open to students in the fall.  My daughter will be attending Bowling Green in the fall.  As of right now, BG is planning on being open to students on campus.  Across the country, I think you will have a range of decisions from no students, some students, and all students on campus..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Cykron said:

It will be interesting to see the reaction in California.  By population, they have the most conservatives of any state in the country.  If you add in the liberals who like football, we may see a coup.  I don't think we have heard the last word from California about sports in the fall.  And I don't think they will have the national influence that you suggest.  Does anyone in Ohio (or Iowa) care whether they are playing football in California or not?


Fans/The Public opinion honestly has no weight.  The NCAA has already said No Students on Campus means no sports.  You cannot justify having sports if students aren't actually on campus, so no...there' won't be a coup.  Doesn't matter how many conservatives or Liberals or sports supporters there are.  

I'm just reading the tea leaves.  This has nothing to do about politics.  It has everything to do with a global-pandemic and how we respond.  UC is just doing whatevery university will be saying in July (if not sooner).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

 

 

That's the plan anyways.  Give it till July.

 

8 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

I agree about not having the influence over sports that was suggested.  The state schools include schools like CSU Bakersfield, CSU Fresno, CSU Fullerton, etc.  It does not include schools like UCLA or Cal.

 

A post above mentioned Central Michigan being open to students in the fall.  My daughter will be attending Bowling Green in the fall.  As of right now, BG is planning on being open to students on campus.  Across the country, I think you will have a range of decisions from no students, some students, and all students on campus..

 

The NCAA has stated: No students on Campus No Sports.  Just reading the tea-leaves here.  Sure most universities are planning to be back on campus...they're also planning to not be back on campus as well.  

I'd but the chance of not being on campus as greater than being on campus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 4:03 PM, NWAkron said:

I don't see the conference benefit of cutting the first round games.  I can't imagine they cost much of anything.  The Horizon league does that, and I never liked it.  But times are tough.

 

 

Not so much a savings for the conference, but a savings for the schools with bad teams.  Nothing like capping your season with an expensive trip to get pummeled (one final time) by a top seed.  Better for them to move on to next year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...