2022 Offers

1 hour ago, 72 Roo said:

Lots of folks disagreeing with me. That's OK, but I'm still not convinced that BVP is good for us. Groce does best when guys are in his system 2-3 years. I don't believe he helps us that much. In fact I don't think he is quick enough to play in Groce's trapping ZeeFence. Keep helping me understand the error of my ways. We all want the Zips to excel. On second thought, the hell with excel. Let's kick everyone's ass! 

My thoughts exactly. Well said.

3 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Lots of folks disagreeing with me. That's OK, but I'm still not convinced that BVP is good for us. Groce does best when guys are in his system 2-3 years. I don't believe he helps us that much. In fact I don't think he is quick enough to play in Groce's trapping ZeeFence. Keep helping me understand the error of my ways. We all want the Zips to excel. On second thought, the hell with excel. Let's kick everyone's ass! 

He bailed on Boals because he felt he was too good. Sounds like another Walton. I trust Groce will bring in a more team-oriented, less me-oriented, transfer. 

• Like 1

Any transfer we are going to get is either going to be a player who felt they were “too good” for their situation or clearly not “good enough” for their situation. Choose wisely.

I want the best players for our team. I don’t care if they come from Ohio, Long Beach State, or Wake Forest. I’m not going to pretend I know if a player doesn’t have a team oriented attitude or won’t commit to playing defense. Coaches job is to vet that.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

He bailed on Boals because he felt he was too good. Sounds like another Walton. I trust Groce will bring in a more team-oriented, less me-oriented, transfer. 

Also, he would need to get into the physical shape Groce requires.   Many of the Ohio players seemed to be carrying some extra weight on them, including BVP.  I don't see this happening at all.  But is he a "stretch 4?"

3 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

A good athletic looking body, but his numbers at Ole Miss are not very good. One spot filled, though. Probably could have been better, but I need to watch him play first to see what he does. 

Agree. Obviously expect him to have potential based on where he’s coming from. But 2.9ppg from Ole Miss on 20% from 3 doesn’t have me super excited. At least he isn’t BVP though right ;)

Edited by LZIp

This one has me excited. Watched a few highlights, and he seems to be quite athletic/coordinated. Looks like the perfect compliment to Freeman, and interchangeable with Freeman where the offense doesn't change when one or the other isn't on the floor. 

His offer list shows he has promise. Up to Groce & Co. to tap into that potential and develop him. I'm stoked. 

• Like 1

I admittedly have never seen him play, but seeing that Ole Miss finished 13th in the SEC with a pretty weak front court, it's not all that inspiring that he was their 8th/9th man. Especially when you take into account his shooting splits. He very well could be an upgrade over Aziz off the bench (which would be useful), but certainly is not the player that will be able to replace Ali production. We still need that 3/4 player that can create his own offense and help space the floor. Castaneda can't do it all himself.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I admittedly have never seen him play, but seeing that Ole Miss finished 13th in the SEC with a pretty weak front court, it's not all that inspiring that he was their 8th/9th man. Especially when you take into account his shooting splits. He very well could be an upgrade over Aziz off the bench (which would be useful), but certainly is not the player that will be able to replace Ali production. We still need that 3/4 player that can create his own offense and help space the floor. Castaneda can't do it all himself.

Good analysis, hard to argue with any of that. 

Idk if he’s supposed to replace Aziz, so I don’t look at it that way. I think he gives us the option to add another dynamic to the team and play bigger, while maintaining adequate spacing on offense for Enrique to operate. I’d still like us to bring in a back up center in addition to a “replacement” for Ali, whatever that may be. 

Edited by LZIp