2022 Offers

He didn't do much at Ole Miss, but let's see what Groce & Co. can get out of him, because he had offers from Auburn, Arkansas, Colorado State, Kansas State, WKU & Oklahoma coming out of HS, so the coaches saw something in him.  Maybe he just needs a change of scenery?

I found this encouraging article from after he verballed to Ole Miss.  (It also has a nice video where you can really see his skill set.)  

The article says his prep school played the North Carolina Tarheels and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish the summer before his senior year of high school where "he put on a show", scoring 20 points with 10 rebounds against North Carolina and scoring 19 points with 9 rebounds against Notre Dame.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

Just thinking out loud but is Jalin Billingsley out of Lutheran West in Cleveland and transferring from Georgetown still available?

Seems to me that with his versatility, size (6’8” 225lbs) and local ties he may be worth a look. Any thoughts on him?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GJGood said:

Just thinking out loud but is Jalin Billingsley out of Lutheran West in Cleveland and transferring from Georgetown still available?

Seems to me that with his versatility, size (6’8” 225lbs) and local ties he may be worth a look. Any thoughts on him?

Yes and he is someone I hope we are pursuing. We were one of the schools interested in him before he committed to Georgetown, so I would assume we still would be.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

What we need is a 6'10" guy that is a slasher with a great shot that can play in the post or outside that handles the ball like a guard.  😁

Any other questions?

So....Kevin Durant. Easy enough.

• Like 1

I think we will see Hunter some on the court with Freeman, but I expect Hunter will see a good chunk of his minutes as Freeman's backup. IMO that role is filled. 

A stretch 4 is often just an oversized wing so I don't think there is much of a difference between the two. That's what Ali was. That's what Xeyrius was.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 1:07 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

So did Groce's Sweet Sixteen team at OU.

College basketball is all about guards and athleticism. 

I agree that offense in college basketball seems to be about guards and athleticism first and foremost.... but you can’t tell me that having a rim protector like a Zeke Marshall doesn’t alter as many shots as anything else in the game.

I want an athletic true 5. I was excited about the development of Aziz and bummed that he is gone. The sport was still rather new to him and his development curve was likely to be faster than others plus I thought he already was showing signs of being pretty good down the road.

• Like 2

Aziz never would have been able to share the court with Freeman. That means at best he would have been playing ~10min/game until he was a senior. Him transferring was likely the best for both parties. He can transfer somewhere that he has a chance of earning minutes to develop. Akron was able to use his scholarship to bring in someone like Hunter who on paper is a better fit and provides some lineup diversitility.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GJGood said:

I agree that offense in college basketball seems to be about guards and athleticism first and foremost.... but you can’t tell me that having a rim protector like a Zeke Marshall doesn’t alter as many shots as anything else in the game.

0 NCAA Tournament wins with Zeke.

John Groce had 3 with only 2 guys over 6'6" (none over 6'9").

How many Cinderellas are led by 7 footers? It's always a guard or two, and a front court with more desire than their opponents to get rebounds, with the athleticism to make a difference on offense as well. 

I think Groce has proven to us that he will adjust to what he has on the roster.  He doesn't have a position based system; he adjusts the system to the talent he has.  The reality is that mid-majors do not generally get top notch big men.  As a result, Groce's teams and the MAC in general have been guard driven.  In the end, Groce is going to bring in the best talent he can, whether it's a 5'7" transfer guard or a 7 foot African post player and adapt the system to the roster.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GJGood said:

I want an athletic true 5. I was excited about the development of Aziz and bummed that he is gone. The sport was still rather new to him and his development curve was likely to be faster than others plus I thought he already was showing signs of being pretty good down the road.

Freeman just won MAC DPOY. I'd say he is that player you're referring to. I'd say 5 and guard are the positions we're most set at. I'd be thrilled if we can add a 6'5-6'7 wing who can run the floor and guard multiple positions. Groce pretty much always runs a lineup of 3 guards, 1 SF playing PF, and 1 big.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Akron was able to use his scholarship to bring in someone like Hunter who on paper is a better fit and provides some lineup diversitility.

Hunter has diverse abilities.  Equals #diversitility.  😳  I hope Groce discovers his diverse utility!  😊

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, LZIp said:

And another high schooler to fill out the last spot.

Love it.

6'8" 195 lbs Forward out of Congo, by way of Victory Rock Prep(?). AAU video I saw shows he is quite athletic with a jump shot. Another Stretch 4. 

Deng Riak and LCJ were out of Victory Rock Prep. 

This guy could be a player.

https://youtu.be/J4xaDGD3G8Y

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 3