2022 Offers

26 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I’ve been keeping an eye on Prince via Verbal Commits. He’s a 3-star prospect. 

I do hope our true freshmen forwards are ready to hit the ground running.

If they are, how full is this roster? Seems like we almost have too many guys. I would imagine the kid from Columbus would be a candidate for a redshirt since he was planning on prep school anyways. Not sure who else would be a redshirt candidate. 

• Like 1

This is an insanely talented team on paper. Repeating in sports is one of the hardest things to do, especially in this league. I think Buffalo is the only team to repeat recently since Kent in the early 2000s. With that said, I feel that this team could face similar challenges that the title team did. While there may be some early season struggles with guys figuring out their game and the staff playing around with lineups and matchups, I firmly believe that we'll be back in the thick of the title race once again. I am a bit concerned right now about the lack of a second true center, especially for foul trouble situations and when the shots just aren't falling. It's always nice to have Freeman to throw it into for a high-percentage look after all.

I'm excited for the possibilities with the shooting. Clarke is a decent shooter, X is a great shooter, Dawson is a really good shooter, Hunter has shown potential other places, Hankerson is a great shooter, Kobe Mitchell is supposed to be a great shooter, Tavari Johnson is supposed to be a great shooter, Ryan Prather is supposed to be a great shooter, Mosengo is billed as a great shooter, Amani Lyles looks like he can be a shooter. On top of that, all of these guys look to be supremely athletic, still with plenty of potential to continue to bulk up. 

As I look at it right now, I simply see a lot of options for this coaching staff. They've got the whole offseason to come up with a plan of who to redshirt, who to put at the end of the bench, who to put in each lineup, and then watch it play out in the early goings. If we've learned anything from this past season, it's that we shouldn't get too high and too low no matter what we see on the floor in November and December.

A long list of highly touted guys will be putting the uniform on for the first time this year. While I would've hoped a guy with experience like Ali would've stuck around, we've got a great mix of young talent and seasoned vets. X is one of the most experienced basketball players in the country, Freeman is one of the best centers in the country and has been here for a ling time, Dawson has blossomed into a tremendous glue-guy and he's been here a long time, Clarke has been here for a while now. This could be special. I won't get my hopes up yet because we all know that potential is just that--potential. But wow, this is amazing and we're lucky to have Groce.

• Like 4

Shouldn't be any odd man out going into next season at this point.  Aren't we at 13 now? I'd be surprised if anyone enters between now and the start of the season. Honestly it would probably be a bad look as they'd have to sit out the upcoming season now after they already redshirted.

9 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Shouldn't be any odd man out going into next season at this point.  Aren't we at 13 now? I'd be surprised if anyone enters between now and the start of the season. Honestly it would probably be a bad look as they'd have to sit out the upcoming season now after they already redshirted.

I think "odd man out" could also mean in the rotation. This roster might truly be 13 deep. Figure 1-2 redshirts, and it's still 11-12 deep. After 10, you're looking at 10-12 minutes max per game. I agree I don't foresee anymore departures, but they could be odd man out this year and transfer next year for more PT. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I think "odd man out" could also mean in the rotation. This roster might truly be 13 deep. Figure 1-2 redshirts, and it's still 11-12 deep. After 10, you're looking at 10-12 minutes max per game. I agree I don't foresee anymore departures, but they could be odd man out this year and transfer next year for more PT. 

I hope we don't play 11-12 deep. I think 9 is as deep as one should go but I'd prefer 8... To each their own, but after 9 or 10 you'll see a sizeable drop off in talent. 

3 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

I hope we don't play 11-12 deep. I think 9 is as deep as one should go but I'd prefer 8... To each their own, but after 9 or 10 you'll see a sizeable drop off in talent. 

And, with more than 9 or so playing any significant minutes, it's hard to get any consistency. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

I think, at most, a normal rotation would feature 10 guys - essentially 2, 5-man rotations. After that it's practically reserves, and even the 10th guy won't see too much PT. 

I'm just looking at this roster, and all I see is talent. Top to bottom, this roster should produce. It is impressive how Groce & Co. have replenished after the departures. 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...