Future of College Men's Soccer

Panel approves soccer rules changes to align with international competition

I don't understand why they didn't address 2 rules changes that could have made college soccer more relevant.

1. Clock should count up to 90 minutes

2. Limit the number of substitutions (maybe 6) and no re-entry. 

• Like 1

MAC will probably drop men's soccer sponsorship.  Too few teams and budget cuts are coming. I really don't have a problem if UA goes independent with a regional schedule (Mich, Mich St, Pitt, CSU, etc) to save money.  However, buh-bye automatic NCAA entry for winning the MAC tourney.

If the MAC drops men's soccer, there are other conferences nearby that I believe would be happy to have a team of the Zips' calibre. Men's Soccer is one of just a few Zips' teams that would add immediate, significant value to another D1 conference.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, JZIP said:

MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher confirmed to WTOL that starting in 2021 the conference will be eliminating the postseason tournaments for the following sports:

Baseball, Softball, Men’s Soccer, Women’s Soccer, Men’s Tennis, Women’s Tennis, Women’s Lacrosse, Field Hockey

No info provided on 2020, and also no explanation as to what this means. No AQ to NCAA Tourney, or will the AQ go to the regular season winner? Or, will there be no AQ in 2021 because the conference won't have the needed number of men's teams?

Edited by Zip_ME87

Men's Soccer will not eliminated but the budget will be cut back substantially.

In NET terms, Football will continue to lose 8x more than the school spends on soccer, based on the 2019-20 budget.

If not for Infocision Stadium, football may well have been eliminated.  

• Like 3

Thanks Danny for the post. For me it’s not a soccer v football mentality. I’m just tired of the stupid decisions. $650k for Bowden not to coach and $350k to buy Arth out of his contract.   Then the cost of Arth’s salary on top of that. All for a 0-12 season and an unwatchable product. Who approves these stupid decisions?

People laugh at Joe Dunn recalling Gerry Faust and the football team interrupting Bob Huggins’ basketball team’s practices. To me, that’s a tragedy. Demonstrates how screwed up UA’s priorities have been. Treat a winning coach and his team like crap in favor of the one that has little chance of doing anything. Ugh. 

How about the golden ticket raffle too? It appears that to date 55 tickets of 700 have been sold. (645/700 remain if you click purchase). Given the prize, how much does UA stand to lose? i hope COVID will help them out and allow them to cancel that apparently money-losing, ill-conceived venture. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Thanks Danny for the post. For me it’s not a soccer v football mentality. I’m just tired of the stupid decisions. $650k for Bowden not to coach and $350k to buy Arth out of his contract.   Then the cost of Arth’s salary on top of that. All for a 0-12 season and an unwatchable product. Who approves these stupid decisions?

People laugh at Joe Dunn recalling Gerry Faust and the football team interrupting Bob Huggins’ basketball team’s practices. To me, that’s a tragedy. Demonstrates how screwed up UA’s priorities have been. Treat a winning coach and his team like crap in favor of the one that has little chance of doing anything. Ugh. 

How about the golden ticket raffle too? It appears that to date 55 tickets of 700 have been sold. (645/700 remain if you click purchase). Given the prize, how much does UA stand to lose? i hope COVID will help them out and allow them to cancel that apparently money-losing, ill-conceived venture. 

I think the administration has done an embarrassing job handling funds. Why on earth did we add a baseball team and a girls lacrosse team last year? At this point, we should eliminate baseball, softball, and lacrosse. I am a student still and nobody cares at all about any of those teams. People would rather read text books than go to any of those games. Students are passionate about soccer and basketball, sometimes football. Mediocrity is bred in the football program. I know the football players and the vast majority of them are lazy and undisciplined. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JZIP said:

I think the administration has done an embarrassing job handling funds. Why on earth did we add a baseball team and a girls lacrosse team last year? At this point, we should eliminate baseball, softball, and lacrosse. I am a student still and nobody cares at all about any of those teams. People would rather read text books than go to any of those games. Students are passionate about soccer and basketball, sometimes football. Mediocrity is bred in the football program. I know the football players and the vast majority of them are lazy and undisciplined. 

Baseball is using a new self-sustaining model. The team does not award university-funded scholarships. The ballpark was/is being refurbished with contributions and corporate sponsorships are covering other costs. And they're not flying south for early season games like before. I have heard that it is designed to be self sustaining right off the bat, or that it will be self sustaining within five years. But either way, that is the model. More college sports should work that way...

As far as entertaining the students, that's actually not the main reason for college athletics. We're not talking about a very active student body when it comes to attending any of the sports that I have seen. Besides that, not all students like bowling , shooting pool or darts, going to movies, going to the gym, competing in intramurals, or any of the other activities. 

Edited by Spin

On 5/2/2020 at 12:24 PM, Zip_ME87 said:

Panel approves soccer rules changes to align with international competition

I don't understand why they didn't address 2 rules changes that could have made college soccer more relevant.

1. Clock should count up to 90 minutes

2. Limit the number of substitutions (maybe 6) and no re-entry. 

Regarding the clock operation, I've spoken with officials at multiple stadia in the west.  The NCAA Rules Committee determined the home team officials have option of counting up or down.  Nearly all schools of course count down, rather than the international standard of up.  In the Big West Conference where I travel, only UCSB counts up for both men and women).  When speaking to press box scorers and administrators about this issue at the schools which count down I have told them the proper internationally accepted standard is to count up, and they seem to:  1).  Not be aware of international standards.  And 2).  Not care about pleasing any but the casual fans who might be put off by a process that differs from how other sports practice their clock operation.  Note that the one school which has the best relationship with NCAA Soccer is the one which practices the "proper" standard.  I will continue to push for universities to follow the international football standards, regardless of the response from those lacking respect for the game's proper standards.  Another argument I use is to tell them that the schools in the PAC 12 all count up on their scoreboards (I think...)  You'd hope the mid-major leagues would want to copy the higher leagues, but it takes time.  I use social media to communicate with coaches and administrators, and they seem to agree with establishing correct standards, but sometimes...they don't make the decision.  Even Pac-12 TV announcers are split the same way.  Some I tweet to agree with this standard while others simply don't care.  That's life!  ???

Question. Is losing the MAC tournament a good thing or a bad thing. On one hand we can go to the NCAA with fresh legs. 

On the other, we could always have a bad regular season game or two and need that automatic bid from the tourney...

9 minutes ago, TennZip said:

https://www.uakron.edu/redesigning-ua/athletics-05-14-2020

mens golf, mens cross country and womens tennis will be cut

other sports will see budget cuts

Oh boy. Nothing like taking a squirt gun to a shootout.

this tweet is spot on.....

plenty of blame to go around

over spending and over building by Proenza and his team

the poor decisions in the scarborough era

infocision decision

paying bowden $650,000 not to coach....paying UTC $350,000 for their former coach...to lead the zips to an (im)perfect 0-12 season

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TennZip said:

offers access to other revenue streams???

Between buy games, CFP money, and tv money football generates the bulk of the athletic departments revenue. I'm not a big fan of the football program myself, but there is no denying that it's the biggest revenue generator for the athletics program. More than soccer and men's basketball combined.

• Thanks 1