UA Reorganization

https://www.uakron.edu/oaa/initiatives/redesigning-ua/index

https://www.beaconjournal.com/news/20200506/plan-to-restructure-university-of-akron-into-5-colleges-doesnrsquot-cut-any-programs-mdash-for-now?template=ampart

The restructuring plan calls for five colleges that so far have been given placeholder names.

The largest would be a reformed Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences, which would have the LeBron James Family Foundation College of Education becoming a school within the Buchtel college.

The other four colleges would be the School of Law, the College of Business Administration, the College of Engineering and Technology and Health and Human Services.

Edited by ZippyRulz

14 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

https://www.uakron.edu/oaa/initiatives/redesigning-ua/index

https://www.beaconjournal.com/news/20200506/plan-to-restructure-university-of-akron-into-5-colleges-doesnrsquot-cut-any-programs-mdash-for-now?template=ampart

The restructuring plan calls for five colleges that so far have been given placeholder names.

The largest would be a reformed Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences, which would have the LeBron James Family Foundation College of Education becoming a school within the Buchtel college.

The other four colleges would be the School of Law, the College of Business Administration, the College of Engineering and Technology and Health and Human Services.

hopefully this will be better for the students, improve the graduation rate, and increase the prestige of an Akron degree.  I have a buddy whose son is applying to the Williams Honors College.  Akron is doing some nice marketing for new students.  Go on youtube there are dorm tours, etc.

• Like 1

It's all about cutting costs and getting rid of replicated positions.  It's budget savings.  

Zero here about being better for the students, improving the graduation rate, and increasing the prestige of an Akron degree. 

Hope springs eternal.

1 hour ago, DannyHoke said:

It's all about cutting costs and getting rid of replicated positions.  It's budget savings.  

Zero here about being better for the students, improving the graduation rate, and increasing the prestige of an Akron degree. 

Hope springs eternal.

Dude.  Stop trolling me already.  You are tiresome.  time to block you.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Dude.  Stop trolling me already.  You are tiresome.  time to block you.

It's taken you this long?  I've been preaching to you since he started posting..."Serenity Now...Serenity Now....."

• 2 weeks later...

Is this sounding like Scott Scarborough's planned budget cuts and repositioning so many criticized in 2014 or 2015? Was he on to something?  U of A might have been more financially stable, after the olive jar was paid off of course.  I believe U of A spent $1 million in one year paying Wilson, Scarborough, and Proenza to teach classes.

It wasn't a good look for Scarborough to plan a major renovation on the presidents mansion at the time he was slashing the budget. I feel a lot of the stuff he was trying to do was for the betterment of the university long-term. I just think he lacked the people skills necessary to do it in a way that would get people to buy in.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

It wasn't a good look for Scarborough to plan a major renovation on the presidents mansion at the time he was slashing the budget. I feel a lot of the stuff he was trying to do was for the betterment of the university long-term. I just think he lacked the people skills necessary to do it in a way that would get people to buy in.

Scarborough was horrible at PR.  That doomed him.  Also, I remember it was his first Homecoming and he was walking the queen across the field and he has his 6 year old daughter with him.  She was a cute kid dressed in an Akron cheerleader garb.  I thought to myself...what a narcissistic jerk.  Why would you show off and/or indulge your child and upstage the young woman/student who was being honored that day?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Not that it didn't need renovating. UA should have gotten rid of it years ago - let the president live and entertain where he/she wants and pay for their own renovations.

The Scar was hired to make the tough calls and that's what he did... but he was shockingly ham-handed.  His mannerisms simply defied common sense.  I don't know how he could have gotten through the battery of interviews without people detecting that, "Hey, this guy's kind of a jerk & may rub people the wrong way."

• 3 months later...