Back when cutting sports seemed like the abyss...

DannyHoke

https://www.wksu.org/post/university-akron-cut-athletics-teams#stream/0

The University of Akron will announce Thursday what its president calls fairly substantial cuts to the school’s athletics program.

“Students have to have an expectation that their tuition and fees are principally going to their education," Schulze, a professor of child and family development, said. 

University President Gary Miller says being a Division I school helps Akron attract students and 56% of the 515 student athletes are not on scholarship. He says less than 6% of the school’s overall budget goes toward sports.

“We agree with the union that we spend too much money on it," Miller said. "So that’s why Thursday we’re going to announce some fairly substantial cuts in athletics for next year.”  

Miller says that will mean the elimination of some sports. But he says they are committed to remaining a Division I school.  

Miller says changing divisions would be costly.

“You don’t lose costs when you move to other divisions. You still have to pay for coaches, still have to pay for facilities, you still have to travel students. We believe that the best course of action is to work with our Division I partners in Ohio and the region to develop a better Division I model.”

Miller also says there’s a $4 million exit fee to leave the Mid American Conference. He says constructive conversations are going on among MAC schools to develop what he calls a more rational mid-major DI program.

Edited by DannyHoke
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, DannyHoke said:

The University of Akron will announce

“You don’t lose costs when you move to other divisions. You still have to pay for coaches, still have to pay for facilities, you still have to travel students. We believe that the best course of action is to work with our Division I partners in Ohio and the region to develop a better Division I model.”

Miller also says there’s a $4 million exit fee to leave the Mid American Conference. He says constructive conversations are going on among MAC schools to develop what he calls a more rational mid-major DI program.

WOW, the University figured out acting alone would be a disaster. They also figured out acting in concert with the rest of MAC is important. This gives me hope for a sane outcome. 

I would encourage them to get advice from their athletic directors and then do the opposite of whatever the athletic directors recommend.

Some highlights from the AAUP post cited by DannyHoke-

We are aware of the request to units to prepare budgets that are 25% less than FY 2020. At about the same time, Faculty Senate was told that the university is committed to staying in Division 1 athletics. We are disappointed about this decision and will continue to raise our objections to cutting the central academic mission of the university while preserving non-essential functions. Please see the graphic below (the data come from UA’s audited financial statements) to see the changes in spending for operational, instructional and athletic expenses between 2015 and 2019.

As you can see, across the past five years declines in UA total expenses basically match the declines in enrollment — with support for teaching and research decreasing 30 percent more than overall operating expenses. In contrast, overall athletic spending increased by 9.4 percent and direct institutional support for athletics increased by 17.6 percent across this same period.  Putting these two together if instructional support and direct institutional support for athletics declined at the same rate as overall expenses, in 2019 there would have been $11 million more spent on instruction/research and $9 million less on athletics. 

Here's their spiffy chart-

spiffy chart.png

I'm skeptical of graphs and charts.  They can always be manipulated for the outcome you want.  $4million exit  fee to leave the MAC.  I guess NIU and Buffalo will be staying around.  Remember it was one of the higher up academics who stopped Mikal Dawson from joining the team even though he was eligible. Miller is a smart guy.  Looks like he is going to strike the best balance he can.  I'm very nervous about tomorrow, and I don't look forward to reading comments from those who appear to enjoy this situation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I'm skeptical of graphs and charts.  They can always be manipulated for the outcome you want.  $4million exit  fee to leave the MAC.  I guess NIU and Buffalo will be staying around.  Remember it was one of the higher up academics who stopped Mikal Dawson from joining the team even though he was eligible. Miller is a smart guy.  Looks like he is going to strike the best balance he can.  I'm very nervous about tomorrow, and I don't look forward to reading comments from those who appear to enjoy this situation.

I don't begrudge someone taking a position they've rationally though and taken part in the process through appropriate channels.  Those folks can rightfully enjoy their day and I won't begrudge them.  Those, however, that whine incessantly from a distance and make no effort beyond internet pissing and moaning and look forward to result that gives them the opportunity to say "I told you so" without any consideration of the underlying lives involved in the result, can go pound salt.  

• Like 1

I'm obviously a fan of athletics. That being said I can't disagree with everything those academia faculty are saying. Had we kept athletics spending in check the last 15-20 years, we wouldn't be in a position to make such drastic changes now. There is no way we should be supporting 20 D1 sports when we're only required to support 16.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm obviously a fan of athletics. That being said I can't disagree with everything those academia faculty are saying. Had we kept athletics spending in check the last 15-20 years, we wouldn't be in a position to make such drastic changes now. There is no way we should be supporting 20 D1 sports when we're only required to support 16.

Well academic spending should most likely mirror enrollment. Athletic spending doesn't have anything to do with enrollment. I can see dropping to the minimum of 16 sports, but otherwise the two aren't really related. 

7 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Well academic spending should most likely mirror enrollment. Athletic spending doesn't have anything to do with enrollment. I can see dropping to the minimum of 16 sports, but otherwise the two aren't really related. 

You're overlooking the fact that each student pays x-number of dollars in student fees that are to help cover the cost of athletics. If we have fewer students, we're collecting less in student fees. I'm not saying we should have cut athletics spending 23.7% just because enrollment fell 23.7%. I'm saying I don't feel we should have increased it 9.4%.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

You're overlooking the fact that each student pays x-number of dollars in student fees that are to help cover the cost of athletics. If we have fewer students, we're collecting less in student fees. I'm not saying we should have cut athletics spending 23.7% just because enrollment fell 23.7%. I'm saying I don't feel we should have increased it 9.4%.

Am I understanding correctly that the fees would be in the direct institutional support  piece of the graph? Or are they in the 9.4%?

“We agree with the union that we spend too much money on it," Miller said. "So that’s why Thursday we’re going to announce some fairly substantial cuts in athletics for next year.”  Miller says that will mean the elimination of some sports. But he says they are committed to remaining a Division I school.  

So, which sports are most likely on the cutting block?  

22 minutes ago, Cykron said:

“We agree with the union that we spend too much money on it," Miller said. "So that’s why Thursday we’re going to announce some fairly substantial cuts in athletics for next year.”  Miller says that will mean the elimination of some sports. But he says they are committed to remaining a Division I school.  

#1.  I think there will be across the board salary cuts. I wonder if Groce and his staff will avoid that.

#2.  Women's softball is a perennial loser.  Zips only have a a women's swim and dive team.  Maybe track and field will only be women and cut the men.

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

#1.  I think there will be across the board salary cuts. I wonder if Groce and his staff will avoid that.

#2.  Women's softball is a perennial loser.  Zips only have a a women's swim and dive team.  Maybe track and field will only be women and cut the men.

I'm hoping salary cuts do not hit assistant coaches too heavily as they don't make a ton. The savings would be small, by coach, there anyhow, but the HC cuts could save a substantial amount without losing anyone that does a good job. Program cuts will most probably come from the most expensive non-revenue sports. Cost to run the program will be the first criteria (within reason) and then second how successful. I would be worried if I were a coach and had a non-revenue team with many out of State or out of Country athletes. Title 9 will play a role of course.        

Edited by UA1987

It's going to be interesting to see how a school like Miami handles this inevitable pruning process.  I do not see how a mid-size school like Miami can continue to support FBS football, basketball AND varsity hockey.  Something's gotta give.  Lots of pain for all MAC programs as well as programs like Marshall et al.

5 hours ago, Cykron said:

getsomemaction.com? When did that happen?

1. men's track & field - only 6 MAC teams participate in outdoor, 5 in indoor (12 each for women)

2. men's & women's golf - it's a Kent thing...

3. rifle - traditionally a strong suit but not sponsored by the MAC and a low profile sport overall; time to be retired

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

1. men's track & field - only 6 MAC teams participate in outdoor, 5 in indoor (12 each for women)

3. rifle - traditionally a strong suit but not sponsored by the MAC and a low profile sport overall; time to be retired

I tend to agree with ZippyRulz....I was shocked track and field overall wasn't eliminated last year, when they were looking at cuts then, especially since the outdoor track was condemned and not addressed.  with the amount spent on travel to meets, sometimes partial teams going to multiple sites for meets on the same weekend, and having no outdoor meets to try to offset costs, and the loss of luster to the Invitational in winter, they've moved farther into the negative rather than close to being revenue neutral.  But does dropping men's track, golf totally and rifle save the $$$ needed to be saved?

Plus...getsomeMACtion.com has been around for about 6 years......

Edited by ZipsVoice

4 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

FWIW, my feeling is that men's track and field, men's cross country and men's golf get cut. Joining them will be women's volleyball. Just a guess that has been made after reading between the lines of Miller's address last Thursday to some alumni supporters.

21 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

FWIW, my feeling is that men's track and field, men's cross country and men's golf get cut. Joining them will be women's volleyball. Just a guess that has been made after reading between the lines of Miller's address last Thursday to some alumni supporters.

I'm leaning that way too. I hate to see anything cut, but those make the most sense. Men's track might be in a better situation if there wasn't so much damage to the outdoor track. 

Edited by Spin

Akron has 21 total sports and needs 16 to remain D1.

Track & Field is actually counted as 2 separate sports, INDOOR and OUTDOOR - they have separate NCAA Championships.  For men and women, that's a total of 4 sports.

There are 54 men and 36 women on the track and field rosters, along with 7 full-time coaches.  OHIO STATE only has 6 full-time track coaches.  Why does Akron have 7?

Swimming & Diving  has 30 women on the roster, along with 2 full-time coaches.

Cut these (5) sports, while eliminating 9 full-time coaching positions, and making the remaining cross country teams non-scholarship, is a smart solution.  

With 120 fewer athletes, the number of support staff can also be reduced, meaning a reduction in academic support staff, sports medicine staff, etc.

There is also a 1.5m track and field construction project that can be wiped off the books, along with a major expense on the recruiting side as 13 athletes from the track team along are from overseas.

Baseball playing games in California is also a ridiculous notion for a first year, startup program that was reinstated under the guise of being non scholarship.  I love baseball, but what Athletic Director  in his/her right mind adds a sport back when the athletics program they are in charge of is running at a 7-figure deficit?  Answer, a bad one.  

Just a couple things

Akron has 19 programs 

Boys -  Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Rifle, Soccer, Track & Field

Girls - Basketball, Cross Country Golf, Lacrosse, Rifle, Soccer, Softball, Swimming & Diving, Tennis, Track & Field

Not sure but maybe your considering indoor track & field as another sport but it isn’t 

14 sports is the requirement to be D1, has to be either 7 boys & 7 girls or 6 boys & 8 girls per title nine

Also, the MAC requires Football, boys & Girls Basketball & Volleyball, so these 4 programs are safe for some of you guessing volleyball & for some saying football is so bad we should consider abandoning it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1