Back when cutting sports seemed like the abyss...

DannyHoke

11 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

George Thomas is set to be on Baskin and Phelps  at 11:05 AM.  Will he have any insight?

No.  He made it sound like the 23% cut of $4.4 million is something he obtained from an inside source.  No insight into which teams might be cut.  George indicated that he talked to John Groce.  He made it sound like basketball coaches have agreed to a 10% reduction in salary.

8 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I feel like 4.4 mil should be attainable without any groundbreaking cuts

"Based on my recommendation, affected by the decision are men’s golf, women’s tennis and men’s cross country.

The elimination of these sports, along with salary reductions for select coaches, staff position eliminations, scholarship and operating reductions will total approximately $4.4 million."

https://www.uakron.edu/redesigning-ua/athletics-05-14-2020

Edited by NWAkron

4 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

"Based on my recommendation, affected by the decision are men’s golf, women’s tennis and men’s cross country.

The elimination of these sports, along with salary reductions for select coaches, staff position eliminations, scholarship and operating reductions will total approximately $4.4 million."

https://www.uakron.edu/redesigning-ua/athletics-05-14-2020

Makes sense

2 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I thought it would be more.  Where are all the other cuts coming from?

Me too.  I am hoping this wasn't just a quick "lopping" to take out programs that added up to the number they wanted to reach, as opposed to careful and thoughtful trimming of dead weight and unsustainable programs.

I think the fact that the AD can sit down and in two weeks come up with a plan to cut $4.4 million/23% of the budget is a pretty strong sign they've been living above their means and that there wasn't a lot of deep thinking or budgetary planning going on up to this point.  I get that the COVID-19 crisis pushed this along but these are decisions that should have been on the burner for the last 3 to 5 years.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think the fact that the AD can sit down and in two weeks come up with a plan to cut $4.4 million/23% of the budget is a pretty strong sign they've been living above their means and that there wasn't a lot of deep thinking or budgetary planning going on up to this point.  I get that the COVID-19 crisis pushed this along but these are decisions that should have been on the burner for the last 3 to 5 years.

Yep, especially since I don't recall seeing one article ever posted about cross country, tennis, or men's golf in my however many years frequenting this site. Then again I'm sure I'd be more relaxed in my finances if I was spending someone else's money instead of mine.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

If I had to pick 3 and it gets us there from cost cutting standpoint, its hard to complain too much with the choices. Get to keep track, swimming, football, soccer, and basketball. Nice job.

Of course its sad for all the student athletes and coaches who lose the opportunity. Hopefully we will at least honor the scholarships of the athletes as we otherwise would.

One thing I do have to complain about is we just completed the near campus tennis facility a few years ago. That seems to be pretty much a waste now. Tennis program did spend quite a bit on travel and international recruiting, though.

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

Luv ya NW, but disagree.  1 win.....not that it was expected to be a breakout first year, but they weren't any great shakes.  Once again, they were doing things right and progressing but doing badly.

I’ll take 1 win with a roster of underclass men (8 fresh) in a first year program with a reported one full scholarship over what football game us. We were only blown out once or twice. 

3 minutes ago, LZIp said:

If I had to pick 3 and it gets us there from cost cutting standpoint, its hard to complain too much with the choices. Get to keep track, swimming, football, soccer, and basketball. Nice job.

Of course its sad for all the student athletes and coaches who lose the opportunity. Hopefully we will at least honor the scholarships of the athletes as we otherwise would.

One thing I do have to complain about is we just completed the near campus tennis facility a few years ago. That seems to be pretty much a waste now. Tennis program did spend quite a bit on travel and international recruiting, though.

The thing about tennis though is those courts can still be used by the students and community.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The thing about tennis though is those courts can still be used by the students and community.

It’ll be used. Plus we have a club tennis team. 

Anything to keep people from getting fat I’m all for. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zippy5 said:

So it's getting counted twice to make the graph look more to their liking?

No.  You can have something be part of both sections of the graph.  Like a student fee isn't all in one spot; and can change from year-to-year.

Like you can have a reduction in the mount of student's paying the fee (thus an overall decline in funding) but shift around the student fee so that a higher % of it goes towards X,Y,Z.  That's why you can end up having more money go towards X than before, while having a net reduction in overall incoming money.  The graph isn't cherry-picking it's just meant to be an over-arching representation of a far more complex system.

Saying "the graph to look more to their liking" is like saying the weather report is "more to their liking" with a forecast of a high of 72.  I mean there aren't conspiracies everywhere.

15 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Per the University, we are now at 17 sports. I don't really understand why we kept 1 more than we need to if I am being honest considering the situation.

They cut 3 & we’re at 16

https://www.wksu.org/post/university-akron-cut-three-athletics-teams#stream/0

men’s golf & cross country & women’s tennis, saves 4.4 million

Edited by 94zipgrad