Back when cutting sports seemed like the abyss...

DannyHoke

46 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I would bet those uniforms like the basketball uniforms are part of a clothing contract.

Putting that aside, SERIOUSLY, WTF IS YOUR PROBLEM?  move on, get a life,  and let it go already.  

Your mentality of questioning people who give a damn is why UA is as jacked up as it is now. 

Oh how dare I give a damn 

Defenders of mediocrity need to go. YOU ARE THE PROBLEM 

Edited by dre22era
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

This is exactly the PROBLEM. For 34 years people have said let it go, but it doesn't go because stupid leaders continue to make stupid decisions with no repercussions. Why do the Athletic Director and his associate cohort still have their jobs after wasting so much money? 

I'm pretty sure Larry Williams has another year on his contract. Wouldn't make sense to buy him out in this climate. Besides do you really think we'd hit on the next AD?

Quite hilarious to me that people bitch about "wasting money" on what I can only imagine relates to firing a head coach before his contract is up, yet call for "holding them accountable", which I can only imagine means firing - which would result in paying more people who don't work here. Talk about compounding the issue.

If the soccer folk want to make their way onto this page and attack the football program - Arth is the 9th lowest paid coach in FBS. We just gave Jared Embick a fat raise to make him one of the top 5 paid soccer coaches in the country. NCAA soccer is dying and nowhere near the draw FBS football is. Where are we wasting money?

https://www.boydsbets.com/highest-paid-college-football-coaches/ 

https://www.beaconjournal.com/sports/20190208/ua-mens-soccer-coach-jared-embick-to-receive-raise-after-declining-louisville-offer 

Edited by LZIp

36 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Your mentality of questioning people who give a damn is why UA is as jacked up as it is now. 

Oh how dare I give a damn 

Defenders of mediocrity need to go. YOU ARE THE PROBLEM 

I think it was that t-shirt cannon blow to the head.  I've been a problem ever since.   BTW...I was/am pro-Groce and thought KD was mired in mediocrity.  And as I recall you raised holy hell about Williams, etc, when all that went down.  

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I think it was that t-shirt cannon blow to the head.  I've been a problem ever since.   BTW...I was/am pro-Groce and thought KD was mired in mediocrity.  And as I recall you raised holy hell about Williams, etc, when all that went down.  

Hey im not batting .1000 but damn sure have been a .300 hitter on here 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Quite hilarious to me that people bitch about "wasting money" on what I can only imagine relates to firing a head coach before his contract is up, yet call for "holding them accountable", which I can only imagine means firing - which would result in paying more people who don't work here. Talk about compounding the issue.

If the soccer folk want to make their way onto this page and attack the football program - Arth is the 9th lowest paid coach in FBS. We just gave Jared Embick a fat raise to make him one of the top 5 paid soccer coaches in the country. NCAA soccer is dying and nowhere near the draw FBS football is. Where are we wasting money?

https://www.beaconjournal.com/sports/20190208/ua-mens-soccer-coach-jared-embick-to-receive-raise-after-declining-louisville-offer 

You really attacking soccer? 
The one sport people actually show up on campus to see consistently 

7BubnC0.png

The 9 best places to watch college soccer, according to fans

Screen-Shot-2020-05-14-at-10-46-34-PM.pn Edited by dre22era

20 hours ago, dre22era said:

At this point if I tossed Akron $5 mil they would find a way to mismanage it 

The problem is not $$$ 

Never has been

A one time  five million dollar donation is a drop in the bucket against the FBS playoff teams. They’re reportedly operating on $100,000,000 annual budgets. 

Do you have that many poker chips to gamble with?

Edited by Spin

13 hours ago, LZIp said:

Easy now. Jared inherited a perennial NCAA tournament team and took it to losing 70% of its games last year.

still haven’t heard a single call for soccer to go bye bye despite the recent performance. 

Hold on. Let me crack open a beer before the fanatics start pumping their chests...

I keep hearing how the payday games sustain football, if not the whole athletic Dept. How it draws network money, sells a heel of a lot more tickets, corporate sponsorships, we played payday games to PAY the left over salary, blah blah blah.

And I keep hearing the football haters complain that it is such a financial drain on the athletic Dept.

How exactly is it possible a program can break even, and yet take millions of dollars out of university coffers.

Sounds like jealousy to me...

• Like 1

Here's the reality for Zips Nation.  Most of us have our favorite(s) and will fight to maintain that favorite sport.  Mine is admittedly basketball.  Every one of the sports has its positives and negatives.  Football is an easy target because it has been down for so long and require lots of personnel, scholarships, equipment and facilities.  However, it probably reaches more people than any other program.

With respect to the constant bickering between the "positive" and "negative" folks on here, I analogize it to having an ugly girlfriend and your buddies constantly telling you she's a bowser.  You like her, see her finer points and want to stick it out with her and your buddies continue to tell you repeatedly just how ugly she is.  Hell yes, you know she's carnival sideshow quality but she's your's and there's not a hell of a lot you can do about her appearance but they insist on continuing to tell you.  At some point, you just get fed up with being told.   

37 minutes ago, Spin said:

How exactly is it possible a program can break even, and yet take millions of dollars out of university coffers.

Questionable book keeping. 

My issue is not a soccer v football or a basketball v football issue. My point about the AD and his associate is that bad decisions, which have caused the athletics budget to grow and take more from the general budget, continue with no known repercussions to those who make them. The athletics budget has to be looked at as a whole. $1M should never have been spent to buy out 1 remaining year of Bowden's or Arth's contracts. Wait one year to get rid of Bowden and hire Arth and save taking a $1M from the general fund.

tOSU uses football and basketball money to fund most, if not all, of their other sports. I know that UA can't do that, but football revenue, basketball revenue, soccer revenue all has to be pooled across the athletics department and not looked at as one sport or the others treasure trove. (Please notice I said "revenue" not "profits".)

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Questionable book keeping. 

My issue is not a soccer v football or a basketball v football issue. My point about the AD and his associate is that bad decisions, which have caused the athletics budget to grow and take more from the general budget, continue with no known repercussions to those who make them. The athletics budget has to be looked at as a whole. $1M should never have been spent to buy out 1 remaining year of Bowden's or Arth's contracts. Wait one year to get rid of Bowden and hire Arth and save taking a $1M from the general fund.

tOSU uses football and basketball money to fund most, if not all, of their other sports. I know that UA can't do that, but football revenue, basketball revenue, soccer revenue all has to be pooled across the athletics department and not looked at as one sport or the others treasure trove. (Please notice I said "revenue" not "profits".)

Not that anyone wants to revisit the Bowden argument, but one could argue they prematurely extended Bowden.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

I also don't see this as football v soccer v other sports.  I have owned season tickets to basketball, soccer, and football.  HOWEVER, the financial crunch is/was an opportunity to "right size" the football program.  The last football game I attended: beautiful sunny day against a good Iowa State team.  Fifteen minutes before kickoff there is NOBODY in the stands.  One big section would have held the entire crowd plus the band.  I was embarrassed for my university and have not been back since.  This is bigger than a coach, an AD, or recruiting athletes.  It is a SYSTEMATIC failure that needs fixed so students, community members, and alumni can enjoy a competitive product that has an opportunity to experience success.  PCCC had a dream season with Archer, etc and still can't draw flies to their games many years later.  The status quo is unacceptable, not financially responsible, and I was hoping things could possibly change for the better.  I really want to attend compelling football games with other fans at games that matter.  And no, the Cheribundi Cherry Bowl does not qualify for any of the above.

12 minutes ago, zippypitt said:

I also don't see this as football v soccer v other sports.  I have owned season tickets to basketball, soccer, and football.  HOWEVER, the financial crunch is/was an opportunity to "right size" the football program.  The last football game I attended: beautiful sunny day against a good Iowa State team.  Fifteen minutes before kickoff there is NOBODY in the stands.  One big section would have held the entire crowd plus the band.  I was embarrassed for my university and have not been back since.  This is bigger than a coach, an AD, or recruiting athletes.  It is a SYSTEMATIC failure that needs fixed so students, community members, and alumni can enjoy a competitive product that has an opportunity to experience success.  PCCC had a dream season with Archer, etc and still can't draw flies to their games many years later.  The status quo is unacceptable, not financially responsible, and I was hoping things could possibly change for the better.  I really want to attend compelling football games with other fans at games that matter.  And no, the Cheribundi Cherry Bowl does not qualify for any of the above.

so you were so embarrassed so much that you didn't return for another game?  I always go, but I can probably count on one hand the # of games in which I stayed until the end.  These Tuesday, Wednesday night games are such a drag.  However, I'm sure the AD knows that but in the cost/benefit analysis, that time slot is the best option.  Akron Basketball had a few crappy time slots this last season but they also had 4 or 5 CBS or espn2 broadcast games.  

Doesn't this send the message that perhaps mid-major football is not a marketable product in Akron and environs?  As much as we might wish it were otherwise, it seems silly to continue throwing money at the problem.  Don't raise the specter of Acme-Zip games, either - a "papered" crowd thanks to nearly free tickets from a once-dominant retailer is not proof of pent-up demand for a D1 football program.

23 minutes ago, jupitertoo said:

Doesn't this send the message that perhaps mid-major football is not a marketable product in Akron and environs?  As much as we might wish it were otherwise, it seems silly to continue throwing money at the problem.  Don't raise the specter of Acme-Zip games, either - a "papered" crowd thanks to nearly free tickets from a once-dominant retailer is not proof of pent-up demand for a D1 football program.

Why is football the "problem" but not other sports? None of them profit. Why stop at football..why don't we cut them all? Two-thousand something average attendance for a MAC Championship basketball program sucks as well.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 11:57 AM, Spin said:

Easy now. Jared inherited a perennial NCAA tournament team and took it to losing 70% of its games last year.

By the way, Jared was a part of the team he inherited for 6 of the 7 years before he inherited it. Also, 3 final four appearances in 7 seasons at the helm and 6 of those 7 in the NCAA Tourney; seems like we might want to cut him some slack on one season.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, jupitertoo said:

It's really hard to build any kind of fan base when you've been a perennially losing program for 3 straight decades. Don't get me wrong I've vocalized that the football program should look to trim some fat from the budget just like everyone else. I'm just not sure why this has turned into some sort of crusade against the football program. I'm personally a basketball guy myself, but the numbers speak for themselves. The football program generates more revenue (even as terrible as it has been) than basketball and soccer combined.

47 minutes ago, zippypitt said:

That was one of the best crowds, over 20k easy, half was a Iowa State fans, they traveled well

Browns' fans are the only fans in the world who will regularly support sh!++y football.  Would crowds automatically reverse and start showing up with a good team?  Probably not, but build like they did with basketball and they will eventually come.

If they could focus on keeping a decent portion of the non P5 top players in NEO, that would be a start to not only building talent but gaining some local recognition.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

If they could focus on keeping a decent portion of the non P5 top players in NEO, that would be a start to not only building talent but gaining some local recognition.

We lost a few in recent days - one to Ball State and a few to Kent State.

If the Universality's financial troubles were constantly on blast, the financial commitment to the football program was regularly under public scrutiny, and the school is cutting athletic programs, would you want your kid going here to play if there were other options? The program has enough systemic challenges it has to deal with on it's own. Piling on only makes it more difficult for the student-athletes and coaches currently here busting their asses to have success.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1