Back when cutting sports seemed like the abyss...

DannyHoke

P5 schools selling the belief that G5 are not going to make it.  Here is a quote from Brecksville QB Joe Labas today when he flipped from Ball State to Iowa:

“We don’t really know if these MAC schools will be lasting after the second wave of Coronavirus, we don’t really know what’s going to happen. We know that the power five schools can take the burden.”

https://247sports.com/college/iowa/Article/Iowa-Hawkeyes-Football-Recruiting-Joey-Labas-Commitment-Ken-OKeefe-Kirk-Ferentz--147917090/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, zippypitt said:

P5 schools selling the belief that G5 are not going to make it.  Here is a quote from Brecksville QB Joe Labas today when he flipped from Ball State to Iowa:

“We don’t really know if these MAC schools will be lasting after the second wave of Coronavirus, we don’t really know what’s going to happen. We know that the power five schools can take the burden.”

https://247sports.com/college/iowa/Article/Iowa-Hawkeyes-Football-Recruiting-Joey-Labas-Commitment-Ken-OKeefe-Kirk-Ferentz--147917090/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Have fun sitting six deep on the bench, fetching water bottles for the starter for four years...

25 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Pretty pathetic showing for the Golden Ticket Raffle.  The draw is at the end of the video.  There can't be 20 tickets in that drum.

i think with the COVID people lost interest and those who have season tickets, donors, etc, don't necessarily want or need that type of access.

Looks like Clayton Murphy has cut his ties to the athletic program-

https://www.beaconjournal.com/sports/20200618/ua-track-standout-olympian-clayton-murphy-cuts-ties-with-athletics-department

Some interesting quotes from the article-

“I have posted and presented to them our analysis and evidence that refutes their assertions pertaining the need to cut cross country for either financial or Title IX reasons,” Murphy wrote. “We have raised money to cover the team’s budget for more than a decade, however during both conversations I was told we appreciate your passion but have nothing to discuss since the decision ‘fits into the athletic profile or ecosystem of the University.’

“I was also told this was a minor decision and that while our analysis was good, it was also flawed. In the next breath, they refused to share their own analysis since “that’s not how we operate.” It’s hard to take them at their word when their lack of transparency is so blatant.”

“I can no longer stand with a university which continues to stand behind a publicity stunt and refuses to support a track and field/cross country program that has done nothing but continually produce successful men and women on and off the track: a program that just 4 years ago was used as a highlight of your public image. I will no longer allow the university to use my image and likeness for marketing or as a promotional asset.”

Edited by clarkwgriswold

29 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Looks like Clayton Murphy has cut his ties to the athletic program-

https://www.beaconjournal.com/sports/20200618/ua-track-standout-olympian-clayton-murphy-cuts-ties-with-athletics-department

Some interesting quotes from the article-

“I have posted and presented to them our analysis and evidence that refutes their assertions pertaining the need to cut cross country for either financial or Title IX reasons,” Murphy wrote. “We have raised money to cover the team’s budget for more than a decade, however during both conversations I was told we appreciate your passion but have nothing to discuss since the decision ‘fits into the athletic profile or ecosystem of the University.’

“I was also told this was a minor decision and that while our analysis was good, it was also flawed. In the next breath, they refused to share their own analysis since “that’s not how we operate.” It’s hard to take them at their word when their lack of transparency is so blatant.”

“I can no longer stand with a university which continues to stand behind a publicity stunt and refuses to support a track and field/cross country program that has done nothing but continually produce successful men and women on and off the track: a program that just 4 years ago was used as a highlight of your public image. I will no longer allow the university to use my image and likeness for marketing or as a promotional asset.”

Murphy in a prior article quoted an absurdly low figure for the operating expense for the CC team. I'm wanting to say it was something in the neighborhood of $10k, maybe less. The same article if I remember correctly mentioned the CC team had 1.2 scholarships so $10k wouldn't even cover that. I do think the university should have provided some transparency on what the real cost savings was. It certainly had to be more than what Murphy previously mentioned, but at the same time it has to be one of the lowest cost olympic sports. 

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Murphy in a prior article quoted an absurdly low figure for the operating expense for the CC team. I'm wanting to say it was something in the neighborhood of $10k, maybe less. The same article if I remember correctly mentioned the CC team had 1.2 scholarships so $10k wouldn't even cover that. I do think the university should have provided some transparency on what the real cost savings was. It certainly had to be more than what Murphy previously mentioned, but at the same time it has to be one of the lowest cost olympic sports. 

+1. This is embarrassing.

On 6/18/2020 at 1:37 PM, Blue & Gold said:

+1. This is embarrassing.

Almost as embarrassing as not having a usable outdoor track for a track team that sent 9 athletes to the NCAA D1 outdoor championships a year ago?  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 6/10/2020 at 9:08 PM, zippypitt said:

Read the article.

Laughed out load when I got to this quote from the kid, “Once I’m committed, I’m committed."

Reminds me of my ex-wife.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm hearing that the staff received an email today warning them of 20% staff cuts on July 15th.

yes, it's all over the Beacon and the union president is painting athletics as the evil that must be destroyed.  Because the Director of Family Studies is an expert in such matters.  She has a position paper that will demonstrate how much $$ the U will save by moving to Division 2.