SIU-E to leave the MAC for soccer

the MVC is a pretty weak league for soccer.  SIU-E will stand a much better chance of getting into the NCAA.  Akron, West Virginia and Western Michigan are all consistently stronger than the 5 teams that SIU-E will join in the MVC.  Easier travel schedule as well for SIU-E...and better rivalries.

The addition of SIUE increases MVC men's soccer membership to six teams.  Current men's soccer league members include: Bradley University, Drake University, the University of Evansville, Loyola University, and Missouri State University. 

Akron, West Virginia, and Western Michigan all have respectable programs. With no conference tournament and 5 teams left, I think everyone is going to be running to the exit as fast as possible. If one more member exits prematurely, I think we can expect the rest to follow suit nearly immediately.

52 minutes ago, JZIP said:

Akron, West Virginia, and Western Michigan all have respectable programs. With no conference tournament and 5 teams left, I think everyone is going to be running to the exit as fast as possible. If one more member exits prematurely, I think we can expect the rest to follow suit nearly immediately.

Just thinking out of the box. Could Akron be the next member of the Big ten in soccer? not all Big Ten members field a team and we regularly beat most Big Ten teams on our schedule. It fits with quality of play, while we are better, travel and rivalries. The Big Ten allows teams outside the conference when the participation in that sport is far from universal. Just a thought. 

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

Does the MAC even still have an auto bid to the tourney?

for 2020....yes......as there are currently 6 teams (UA, WVU, SIU-E, WMU, BGSU and NIU)

when SIU-E leaves for the cupcake league, the MAC will drop below the required 6

let's just hope that we have a college soccer season.  Covid does not want to go away

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/16/2020 at 6:19 PM, 72 Roo said:

Just thinking out of the box. Could Akron be the next member of the Big ten in soccer? not all Big Ten members field a team and we regularly beat most Big Ten teams on our schedule. It fits with quality of play, while we are better, travel and rivalries. The Big Ten allows teams outside the conference when the participation in that sport is far from universal. Just a thought. 

ACC could be an option as well. We have competed very well with those schools and the league is strong. I will argue that it is better than the Big10

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 3:13 PM, Kangaroo Craig said:

ACC could be an option as well. We have competed very well with those schools and the league is strong. I will argue that it is better than the Big10

One selling point with the Big Ten is the footprint almost matches the MAC. A lot more opponents can be reached by bus. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...