Conference Realignment

a-zip

4 hours ago, GP1 said:

Some would say this is a Faustian Bargain that started years ago, but the Faustian Bargain assumes someone/something sacrifices the moral high ground for money/power. 

Leave poor Gerry out of this. he is a nice man. 😁

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, GP1 said:

Don't tell Colorado, but they played in the PAC 12 Championship Game in 2016.

Further evidence that my assertion that Colorado will not leave the Big 12 for the PAC 12 is the absolute truth.

Maybe if I had said Michigan State will not leave the MAC to join the Big 10 more people would have got it...............................nah.

If Dabos Winney has it figured out, anyone can figure it out. https://www.foxnews.com/sports/dabo-hates-realignment-talk-doesnt-see-end-in-sight    I would add, within 5-7 years, there will be a super conference. Whatever happens between now and then doesn't really matter much unless there are a few P5 schools that simply don't want to join a super conference or the super conference doesn't want them for whatever reason (think some schools like Iowa State or WVU or Texas Tech or TCU). Notice the remaining Big 12 teams could be in a world of hurt. They could find themselves in the same situation UCONN was years ago when the Big East split up and nobody wanted them.

Enough of them. What are the G5 schools going to do?

"Enough of them. What are the G5 schools going to do?"

The answer GP is nothing. There is no leadership in the G5. Schools are wasting too much time and money trying to become the next P5 member, which ain't gonna happen. As much as the G5 schools teach their students to be creative and think outside the box, when it comes to athletics administration there is none of that.

12 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

There is no leadership in the G5.

Actually, there is, but as you describe they are leading in the wrong direction for self interest. 

I firmly believe any path forward for G5 schools has to exclude the athletic directors of G5 schools from any conversation. They cannot be trusted to act in the best interest of the schools they work for. 

On 7/26/2021 at 9:14 PM, 72 Roo said:

The MAC and Akron will play no role in this. That is a good thing. These changes finally force the G5 to look to their own future w/o the former P5. Let the G5 stay in the NCAA and have their own championship. Forget about the money of the CPF, the conference network money and the big bowl payoff money.  The G5 schools were never going to taste that. It's better that they focus on what they can control. Look to their own interests and let the greed of the P5 eventually eat them alive from the inside. It will take decades, but it will happen. 

But can the MAC schools survive without the ass-kicking at the hands of the BCS schools? That makes up a significant part of the athletics budgets. Do those left behind drop to 63 scholly's and join FCS? Drop to 36 and play D2? 

Competition-wise the programs could benefit from downgrading, except maybe soccer (we don't know how bad the budget cuts already made will affect the program). 

I think some retrenchment was inevitable after the U had the recent pre-COVID money problems. As it turns out, several of our MAC rivals could be going the same route.

55 minutes ago, Spin said:

But can the MAC schools survive without the ass-kicking at the hands of the BCS schools?

Easily. All are state schools. Taxpayers can easily absorb picking up the difference. 

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/general-ncaa-board-of-governors-to-convene-constitutional-convention

Read Robert Gates' comment very carefully. He's basically telling the NCAA they have little influence or even need moving forward. All of the current realignment is irrelevant. The P5 schools are going on their own way. They will be polite about it because the NCAA filled their pockets for many years, but it's over. 

Move fast G5 schools. You're getting your own division. Make something of it. It's a great opportunity. 

Edited by GP1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Liar, liar; pants on fire.

During the announcement yesterday of the alliance between the ACC, Big 10 and Pac-12, Big Ten commissioner, Kevin Warren, pushed back on the insinuation that the SEC’s addition of Oklahoma and Texas from the Big 12 triggered the alliance. And he did so with a straight face!

It’s possible he was just conducting a scientific experiment; testing the stupidity level of the crowd.

To their credit, nobody in the audience broke into hysterical laughter.

Edited by Zipmeister
  • Like 2

I listened to the press conference on Sirius and they talked about preserving the conferences and marketing, and scheduling. I got the impression they were going to schedule other schools in the alliance for non-con games. Which probably sounds interesting to fans of those schools. 

And while playing other G5 schools would make for more interesting non-con games than getting Cornhuskered by 60 points, it’s going to be a big hit to the athletic department budgets without the annual football sacrifice(es).

4 hours ago, Spin said:

I listened to the press conference on Sirius and they talked about preserving the conferences and marketing, and scheduling. I got the impression they were going to schedule other schools in the alliance for non-con games. Which probably sounds interesting to fans of those schools. 

And while playing other G5 schools would make for more interesting non-con games than getting Cornhuskered by 60 points, it’s going to be a big hit to the athletic department budgets without the annual football sacrifice(es).

Note that they did not say they were not going to pick the Big 12 almost clean. At least one person, Bob Huggins, will be happy when the Mountaineers become an ACC  member. He was/is not a fan of the travel required to play Big 12 conference away games.

Edited by Zipmeister