Season or No Season

John Ward

I believe there is a 30% chance only conference games will be played with no fans allowed. I believe there is zero chance there will be a season with fans, even tho' UA has been social distancing at football games for years. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, John Ward said:

Im seeing Athens is bordering on a level 4 purple which means total shutdown. My question is if this happens and OU is required to shut it all down, will all MAC schools have to follow suite? 

It's mid july.  Athens took a hit because of people going to bars in downtown Athens.  In a few weeks it should be under control if they behave and stop this foolish activity.  No, all the other MAC schools wouldn't have to follow.  Why would they?  As for football season, I can see a season with fans if everyone in the MAC behaves themselves.  As for Clemson, I really don't get what is going on in SC.  They are allowing the virus to explode and putting the football season in jeopardy.  Alabama ordered face masks.   I'm thinking if Clemson cancels Akron but plays other schools, Akron would have a right to their pay out which I say without having read the contract.

7 hours ago, John Ward said:

I realize its Mid July but this thing keeps getting worse. Im just afraid people just don't care and wont follow directions. I hope Im wrong.

Its much worse in certain states.  When I was out yesterday,  everyone was wearing a mask.  If we all could do that for about 3 weeks and avoid group contact, we can stop the transmission cold.

19 minutes ago, John Ward said:

I guess the real question is will these young men see the value of putting themselves at risk? Will young men with NFL potential ( Trevor Lawrence etc) risk it?  

Has any single college athlete who has tested positive died? The risk to a healthy college-aged athlete seems incredibly minimal.

For every Trevor Lawrence there are 10+ players looking for the chance to prove they are cut out for professional football and change their and their families lives for generations.

1 hour ago, John Ward said:

The question is not have they died but have those that have tested positive spread to others who have  died.That is something you cannot answer. The scope of this is much larger than your thinking. 

I don't disagree. Your statement was in regards to the players putting themselves at risk.

17 hours ago, NWAkron said:

As for Clemson, I really don't get what is going on in SC.  They are allowing the virus to explode and putting the football season in jeopardy.

I can explain as I live here. There are a significant number of businesses in vacation areas that only make money 4 to maybe 5 months a year. Then they have to hope their money lasts until the next season. Even in normal times you'd be surprised how many businesses go under in Myrtle Beach in the spring because they run out of money. Family owned businesses are fighting for their lives right now. Clemson football is the least of their worries. 

1 hour ago, Zip JD said:

Spring season games?

Not unless the move is permanent. It isn't realistic to have only 1-2 months between seasons. 

I heard a former Big Ten coach say that when a player played 1,000 game plays, that player didn't have a full spring practice participation because the body had to heal. Once a player played 2,000 game plays, that player hardly practiced at all in the spring because he really doesn't need the practice and is probably one of the better players regardless of practice. That player probably started freshman and sophomore seasons, and is probably on his way to the NFL after his junior season. 

• Like 1

Off subject a little but the fact we did not have spring ball hurt us more than we all think. There are positions that needed to be filled and players who might of stepped up to the challenge but will not get an opportunity. For instance, do we have any OL that could transition to DL or vice versa.Any WR that could transition to DB ? Do we have the right QB for our system?Now we have very little time to figure things out. I know you will all say “ everyone is in the same position” . Yes your right! But,I don't think anyone is in a bigger rebuilding mode than UA.

If the key to getting this virus under control is wearing a mask, then I believe that we will not get significantly better.  We may continue to see an increase in cases.  I worked from home this week, and only went out Tuesday, Wednesday, and Sunday.  On average, 60% of the people I saw were not wearing masks.  Based on what I saw, I expect the cases to continue to increase over the next couple of weeks and then have the season cancelled in early August.  It pains me to say that, but I see no way that the cases will reduce based on people's actions.  

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

If the key to getting this virus under control is wearing a mask, then I believe that we will not get significantly better.  We may continue to see an increase in cases.  I worked from home this week, and only went out Tuesday, Wednesday, and Sunday.  On average, 60% of the people I saw were not wearing masks.  Based on what I saw, I expect the cases to continue to increase over the next couple of weeks and then have the season cancelled in early August.  It pains me to say that, but I see no way that the cases will reduce based on people's actions.  

I m trying to be hopeful.   I've seen nearly 100% compliance in Akron.  Also, there's a key stat i check every day and its called the "R" value. It measures how the virus is replicating in the community.   In Ohio, it's come down from 1.18 to 1.0 in the last week or so.  Under 1.0 means infections will slow.  If it's over 1.0 it means it will spread.  That being said, that number is only as good as the numbers coming in to them.  But, as I said, I'm trying to be hopeful.  Also, the percentage of positive tests is 6.2 which is high but nothing like Florida which is 18%.  Michigan is around 2%.  Back in April Ohio was at 24% but you could only get tested then if you had serious symptoms.  https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/ohio. this is the site where you can follow the #s.  https://rt.live/us/OH.  This has the R7 factor.  https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/testing-positivity.  This graph compares all the states for the percentage of positive tests.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bigjim said:

If the key to getting this virus under control is wearing a mask, then I believe that we will not get significantly better.  

I can wear a jockstrap on my head, but that won't keep my gonads from bouncing when I exercise. Masks are almost universally being worn wrong. The junk data and science being created around mask wearing is going to be Mt. Everest size by the time this is all over. They may work, but how will we really know. 

2 hours ago, GP1 said:

I can wear a jockstrap on my head, but that won't keep my gonads from bouncing when I exercise. Masks are almost universally being worn wrong. The junk data and science being created around mask wearing is going to be Mt. Everest size by the time this is all over. They may work, but how will we really know. 

Because this sentence caused the needle in my bullshit meter to spike, could you please provide a source to support it?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Because this sentence caused the needle in my bullshit meter to spike, could you please provide a source to support it?

I think the skepticism is fully justified on both sides. Let's be honest, the medical community proves over and over and over again that they are pretty much as much in the dark as the rest of us. 

At this point, I think mask wearing is just an attempt to do something that MAY reduce spread. You can produce a study that proves it either way. 

If Joe Biden gets elected, watch the coronavirus magically disappear from headlines.......

5 hours ago, JZIP said:

I think the skepticism is fully justified on both sides. Let's be honest, the medical community proves over and over and over again that they are pretty much as much in the dark as the rest of us. 

At this point, I think mask wearing is just an attempt to do something that MAY reduce spread. You can produce a study that proves it either way. 

If Joe Biden gets elected, watch the coronavirus magically disappear from headlines.......

I am not on a side. I want some evidence that everyone is wearing their mask wrong.