Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
John Ward

Season or No Season

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Because this sentence caused the needle in my bullshit meter to spike, could you please provide a source to support it?

No. Do your own homework. Better yet, follow Alex Berenson on Twitter. His fact based account helps to navigate the panic porn that is circulating the internet. But to help you JAMA did a study on mask wearing at MA hospitals. As it turned out, infection rates of employees went down.....at the same rate as the general population. Meaning, the decline was probably caused by something else. The second part never gets reported.

 

I have yet to go to a bar/restaurant where the servers didn't touch their masks. That's the worst thing you can do. You're supposed to use the strings to adjust it. Most people don't squeeze the bridge of the nose portion...huge mistake. Some have been worn so many times without washing I'm surprised they don't disintegrate with a stiff breeze. Don't get me started on the Uber drivers. It's laughable to watch the public botch something as simple as putting a mask on. That's not a judgement on whether or not they work, just a general observation.

 

I wear a mask where I need to. I've also never read the operating instructions for the mask and have no idea if I'm using it right or not. Based upon what I see on TV, probably not, but if I need to get to my bar stool to get drunk I need to participate in this public health theater much like going through TSA at the airport. I'm still confused about that data and science that tells me I need a mask to walk to my bar stool, but I don't need one while sitting there in an air conditioned building. 

 

After November 4th, covid will still be around for a while. Biden will probably win because Trump is the Oval Office version of The Morton Downey Jr. Show, which only lasted 3.5 year, which is about how long it took for the public to get sick of watching a silly real estate agent with the communication skills of a mid level 10th grader at Barberton High School argue with the press all of the time when things got serious. The day after the election, the news of covid will begin to change from dire to optimistic. It's the most predictable outcome.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Stop with that both sides garbage.  It's not about politics it's about science.  You can look at reliable stats and see that the states which took this seriously are doing well and the ones who chose to ignore science and hope it would go away are exploding with the corona virus.  The reason this issue is even important for Zipsnation is because it affects the university and the athletics.  So leave your political stuff on a separate blog that is made for such.  This isn't a political issue.

Perhaps you are just a keyboard warrior and do not get out much... Open your eyes in public. The amount of people not covering their nose with a mask is at the very least 1/3. And don't even get me started on the number of people that take their mask off just to check their phone because faceID and similar methods do not work with partial face covering. 

 

Its not political? The George Floyd protests were portrayed by the media as one of the greatest civil acts in america in the last 20 years. A bunch of people grouped together in close proximity, yet no one dared to mention the implications due to the virus. Yet 4th of July celebrations, churches, struggling retailers are seen as irresponsible and selfish. 

 

Precautions and safety should be impartial, you can't pick and choose. Lets be honest, the silent majority agrees with a lot of what I am saying. Medical professionals included. PERIOD.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GP1 said:

No. Do your own homework. Better yet, follow Alex Berenson on Twitter. His fact based account helps to navigate the panic porn that is circulating the internet. But to help you JAMA did a study on mask wearing at MA hospitals. As it turned out, infection rates of employees went down.....at the same rate as the general population. Meaning, the decline was probably caused by something else. The second part never gets reported.

 

I have yet to go to a bar/restaurant where the servers didn't touch their masks. That's the worst thing you can do. You're supposed to use the strings to adjust it. Most people don't squeeze the bridge of the nose portion...huge mistake. Some have been worn so many times without washing I'm surprised they don't disintegrate with a stiff breeze. Don't get me started on the Uber drivers. It's laughable to watch the public botch something as simple as putting a mask on. That's not a judgement on whether or not they work, just a general observation.

 

I wear a mask where I need to. I've also never read the operating instructions for the mask and have no idea if I'm using it right or not. Based upon what I see on TV, probably not, but if I need to get to my bar stool to get drunk I need to participate in this public health theater much like going through TSA at the airport. I'm still confused about that data and science that tells me I need a mask to walk to my bar stool, but I don't need one while sitting there in an air conditioned building. 

 

After November 4th, covid will still be around for a while. Biden will probably win because Trump is the Oval Office version of The Morton Downey Jr. Show, which only lasted 3.5 year, which is about how long it took for the public to get sick of watching a silly real estate agent with the communication skills of a mid level 10th grader at Barberton High School argue with the press all of the time when things got serious. The day after the election, the news of covid will begin to change from dire to optimistic. It's the most predictable outcome.

 

Some how I knew you wouldn't be able to admit that your claim that nobody is wearing their mask correctly was crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

You can look at reliable stats and see that the states which took this seriously are doing well and the ones who chose to ignore science and hope it would go away are exploding with the corona virus. 

You can look at stats all day, but facts aren't reasons. You can also select stats. If you look at deaths, the governor of NY can only be described as a murderer.  This also does not explain the increase in cases in California.

 

Americans were asked to do one thing, bend the curve. We have done that very well. We were never asked to eliminate the virus. Everyone knew there was going to be a spike in the summer and here we are and the health care system has not been overwhelmed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

 

Some how I knew you wouldn't be able to admit that your claim that nobody is wearing their mask correctly was crap.

Please reread all of the words in my original comment. It's as if you ALMOST read them all but had a knee jerk need to prove a point against what someone else wasn't saying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JZIP said:

Its not political? The George Floyd protests were portrayed by the media as one of the greatest civil acts in america in the last 20 years. A bunch of people grouped together in close proximity, yet no one dared to mention the implications due to the virus. Yet 4th of July celebrations, churches, struggling retailers are seen as irresponsible and selfish. 

 

There is very little evidence that the protests increased the spread of covid. In fact, it supports the evidence that young people getting together in outdoor places is not much of a threat. Further, it supports that the vast majority of people who get covid will have mild symptoms and we should be focused on protecting those most vulnerable (over 60) and let everyone else get on with their lives as long as the health care system doesn't get over stressed.  

 

Don't worry, this will all be over come November 4th.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I think it's time we all abandoned this thread and move on to something else.  

Ahhh just like the American media. Cheers! I hope you follow the "science" and never do anything semi-risky ever again. I heard that 100% of the people who drink water die. What a stat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it may be time to abandon sports forums until the Covid passes.  The Covid debates are ruining every sports forum I regularly visit.  I have a strong feeling on masks but I realize I'm not going to change anyone's mind, nor is anyone going to change mine at this point.  As such, reading the name calling and debates serves no other purpose than to frustrate the hell out of me.  I can't wait until this passes and we can get back to talking about the teams.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think it may be time to abandon sports forums until the Covid passes.  The Covid debates are ruining every sports forum I regularly visit.  I have a strong feeling on masks but I realize I'm not going to change anyone's mind, nor is anyone going to change mine at this point.  As such, reading the name calling and debates serves no other purpose than to frustrate the hell out of me.  I can't wait until this passes and we can get back to talking about the teams.

 

I could not agree more.  Sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GP1 said:

No. Do your own homework. Better yet, follow Alex Berenson on Twitter. His fact based account helps to navigate the panic porn that is circulating the internet. But to help you JAMA did a study on mask wearing at MA hospitals. As it turned out, infection rates of employees went down.....at the same rate as the general population. Meaning, the decline was probably caused by something else. The second part never gets reported.

 

I have yet to go to a bar/restaurant where the servers didn't touch their masks. That's the worst thing you can do. You're supposed to use the strings to adjust it. Most people don't squeeze the bridge of the nose portion...huge mistake. Some have been worn so many times without washing I'm surprised they don't disintegrate with a stiff breeze. Don't get me started on the Uber drivers. It's laughable to watch the public botch something as simple as putting a mask on. That's not a judgement on whether or not they work, just a general observation.

 

I wear a mask where I need to. I've also never read the operating instructions for the mask and have no idea if I'm using it right or not. Based upon what I see on TV, probably not, but if I need to get to my bar stool to get drunk I need to participate in this public health theater much like going through TSA at the airport. I'm still confused about that data and science that tells me I need a mask to walk to my bar stool, but I don't need one while sitting there in an air conditioned building. 

 

After November 4th, covid will still be around for a while. Biden will probably win because Trump is the Oval Office version of The Morton Downey Jr. Show, which only lasted 3.5 year, which is about how long it took for the public to get sick of watching a silly real estate agent with the communication skills of a mid level 10th grader at Barberton High School argue with the press all of the time when things got serious. The day after the election, the news of covid will begin to change from dire to optimistic. It's the most predictable outcome.

What the hell happened to this University of Akron FOOTBALL Forum?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

What the hell happened to this University of Akron FOOTBALL Forum?  

It's more interesting talking about getting drunk in bars.

 

Besides, I felt like doing some typing. Slow day.

Edited by GP1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry guys ! I made a comment and it turned political. So back to the team at hand. I know the boys are working hard during this summer. What are your thoughts on this team. I know we had no spring ball so we have no idea what we have. I fear we are just going to line up the same people as last season. Might be a little insanity but what can you do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think it may be time to abandon sports forums until the Covid passes.  The Covid debates are ruining every sports forum I regularly visit.  I have a strong feeling on masks but I realize I'm not going to change anyone's mind, nor is anyone going to change mine at this point.  As such, reading the name calling and debates serves no other purpose than to frustrate the hell out of me.  I can't wait until this passes and we can get back to talking about the teams.

Agreed, catch you all in a few months.  Be well and go Zips!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering how New York has a mandate that anyone from Ohio who visits New York has to self quarantine for 14 days and Buffalo plays in a division with 5 other Ohio schools, I'm not sure how that makes a season feasible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Considering how New York has a mandate that anyone from Ohio who visits New York has to self quarantine for 14 days and Buffalo plays in a division with 5 other Ohio schools, I'm not sure how that makes a season feasible.

Buffalo isn't scheduled to play in OH until 9/26. I hope we don't cancel everything just so the Canadians don't feel left out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Buffalo isn't scheduled to play in OH until 9/26. I hope we don't cancel everything just so the Canadians don't feel left out.

 

After posting this I saw in another thread that the Blue Jays are playing games in Buffalo. I would have thought that would cause the same issue as New York has 14 or so states on their list, but maybe not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This year is a wash. Until there a fans back in the stands with the marching bands and all the pageantry, it will be a dull atmosphere. Like watching a practice. Looking forward to 2021 season. Boy can't wait for an OSU game with no fans or marching bands in Ohio Stadium. Same with the NFL.  It will be exciting. Whoopeee!

 

Edited by footballzip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m going to watch pro football, with or without the crowd. Might be a little strange for while, until I get into the game. Then I’ll barely notice.
 

College football, without the huge contracts a lot of the FBS programs have, rely too much on gate money to sustain. The MAC is at the governor’s and COVID’s mercy

Edited by Spin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GP1 said:

Sadly, there seems to be a pattern developing.  NCAC (Wooster, Oberlin, Kenyon, etc. also suspended).  I think those schools want kids back on campus and athletics added an extra cost and variable that wasn't worth it for them.  There are no scholarships and don't generate any income.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...