What's The Point?

GP1

Akron gets 69.93% ($26,011,378) of it's $37,275,978 athletics budget revenues from student fees https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/ 

What is the MARKETING POINT that Akron Athletics is driving to the masses?  Demonstrate the positive spin and what difference it actually makes. When no significant number of people actually pay to go to games that marketing argument loses logic.

What is the value that is being provided to the 24,600 students who are not playing a sport?

Divide that $26,011,378 up to the 24,600 students not playing a sport and you can give back $1,057 per student.  That's $4,229 over 4 years, or 494 hours at Ohio's minimum wage of $8.55. Three months of full time work so that a kid can play football or basketball at Akron U?

How many of you posting on this site are giving up a like percentage of your income to Akron?  

Edited by DannyHoke

Now factor in a community college “right across the street” where you can get a degree for a fraction of the cost. Or Wayne College for that matter, now has 4 year degrees. I would have never taken a class at main campus if they had bachelor’s degrees at Wayne 10 years ago.

Now factor in a generation of people who would rather be behind a screen than actually interacting with other people. They can sit on their couch now and get a degree with their laptop. Again at a fraction of the cost.

If you do go to a traditional program, every time you turn around they have their hands in your pockets for another fee. And they look around and wonder why enrollment is dropping.

Traditional college doesn’t add up. 

On 7/27/2020 at 8:50 AM, GP1 said:

I am concerned about the deficit as well. In addition, I am concerned about the revenue stream into Athletic Departments across G5 schools. I despise the Universities are covering the mismanagement of their schools with student fees.

In my opinion, the elephant in the room is not in the Athletic Department. I am like you kreed, I have no problem with a deficit in the Athletic Department as long as it is serving a greater purpose and being run reasonably within a public university. Do they need to make changes?  Yes, but with schools like Akron, not on their own or it will have catastrophic consequences for the Athletic Department and University and schools like ours. The elephant in the room is the rapid decline in enrollment. This is not the fault of the Athletic Department. A lot of things can cause this decline. One may be the endless drip, drip, drip of bad publicity from the University. I don't know much about the current President, but he seems to be aloof about the PR problem and the relationship of it to the funding of the overall University. Someone needs to dump a bucket of cold water over his head to wake him up. The enrollment problem needs fixed before any crippling cuts are made to athletics. Further, someone needs to stand up publicly for the Athletic Department and feature many of the great things it does for the kids, what the kids do for the University and what those kids' efforts around the community do for NE Ohio. If the Athletic Director could take a break from bean counting for a while, maybe he could develop a PR campaign to assist in this effort.

Now that we have that settled, what is the point of having a women's studies program?

Edited by Zipmeister

On 7/29/2020 at 8:26 PM, Zipmeister said:

Now that we have that settled, what is the point of having a women's studies program?

Depends on if you are talking about a Department or classes.  I have no problem offering these classes through the Sociology or something else. Not sure where these classes fall. A Department is something completely different. Departments require staff and overhead. Offer the classes without the Department overhead.  

I took women's studies to fill a humanities need. I didn't get much out of it. The same as most off my other gen-eds. This is a bit off topic, but I really wish they would reduce the 128 credit hours for a degree to something more like 115-120. This would allow more students the ability to graduate on time and save a semester or so on tuition costs. 

• Like 1

Ultimately, this is the point of college athletics:

These coaches get these subtweets all the time.  It breaks my heart to see all these young kids trying so hard but who will likely get no scholarship $$.  For me, I think that might be the most difficult part about being a college coach - telling a kid there is no scholarship for him.