How Many Games Will the Zips Play this Year?

Dr Z

How Many Games Will the Zips Play this Year?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Games Will the Zips Play this Year?

This poll is closed to new votes

4 or more is my choice. NHL, NBA, PGA, WNBA, some professional soccer, KBL, throw in the pba if you want. 

If I had a second choice it would be zero. I don't think there will be an in between. All of the leagues above are professionals with much more mature people involved. They can segregate themselves much better than college kids. The professionals also have much more at risk if they don't play. The more I type this paragraph, the more I think the answer is zero, but I'll stick with 4. 

As much as I hate to say it, my guess is zero.  I do not see how Fall sports for college or high school will play.  I think that not only is there a negative health impact, but there will not be much if any income for leagues like the MAC.  These leagues will lose money big time if they try to play along with the potential spread of the disease.  The only chances are the leagues whose TV contracts can subsidize the sport such as the SEC and Big 10.  Also, I think the outcome of MLB will be a leading indicator if sports will continue.  If I remember, the Marlins have about 17 players and coaches out due to the virus resulting in multiple delays or cancellations of games.  IN addition, other teams have shut down games.  How will these cancellations affect the standings?  Will they be replayed and how will this happen?  When you look at baseball, football, and basketball, I think that baseball has the best chance of playing due to the lack of contact and the ability to distance.  So, if baseball gets shutdown, I do not see any way that football or basketball will be able to be played due to the contact and the potential to spread the disease to a large group of people in a short period of time.

If there is not a sharp decline in the next week or 10 days, I see the sports cancelling out the fall season.  What a strange world we live in and how everything has changed in the last year.  God Bless.

Zero. Sad day but MLB is showing us that traveling city to city is not going to work.

The bubble used by NBA, NHL, and MLS has had much better results so far. But that’s not going to work with students. 

Our one hope for football is if the NFL follows the bubble concept and not MLB’s.

2 hours ago, Spin said:

Zero. Sad day but MLB is showing us that traveling city to city is not going to work.

The bubble used by NBA, NHL, and MLS has had much better results so far. But that’s not going to work with students. 

Our one hope for football is if the NFL follows the bubble concept and not MLB’s.

NHL had zero positive tests in the last week of camp, tournament successfully started yesterday. 
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-announces-no-positive-coronavirus-tests-over-final-week-1.5664479

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigjim said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/pac-12-football-players-threaten-to-opt-out-over-coronavirus-other-concerns/ar-BB17u501?ocid=msedgdhp

If large numbers of players opt out of the PAC-12, this may lead to a ripple effect across football.  Who knows where this may end.

My favorite opting-out student-athlete demand: half of all sports revenue should be given to the student-athletes.

That's a really good idea if your goal is to kill off more football teams than the big boys going to a conference-only schedule.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Spin said:

That's not practical for the NFL as no city has enough stadiums to host all the games. LA probably has the most usable fields at 4 (Rose Bowl, Sofi Stadium, Dignity Health Sports Park, and Banc of California Stadium). That's just not going to be enough

26 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

My favorite opting-out student-athlete demand: half of all sports revenue should be given to the student-athletes.

That's a really good idea if your goal is to kill off more football teams than the big boys going to a conference-only schedule.

How about they get half of the actual profits and losses?  How about the offsetting checks they get from the profits against their scholarship?

I'm always amused by people who want to be "partners" but don't want to be partners in the bad as well as the good.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

That's not practical for the NFL as no city has enough stadiums to host all the games. LA probably has the most usable fields at 4 (Rose Bowl, Sofi Stadium, Dignity Health Sports Park, and Banc of California Stadium). That's just not going to be enough

That got me thinking. There are facilities that could host four football games at once without fans. WWOS has four football playing fields, the MLS finishes up August 11.

There are 16 games per week (without byes). That's four games per week per field. There is one game on Thursday, three game times on Sunday, and one on Monday.  Double up Thursday and Monday and you have 16 slots.

And don't think the NFL isn't watching the college situation very closely, ready to pounce on those three Saturday time slots the minute the NCAA cancels the season. Add three time slots, and you only have a handful of doubles, and your weeknight games are single.

Edited by Spin

12 hours ago, bigjim said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/pac-12-football-players-threaten-to-opt-out-over-coronavirus-other-concerns/ar-BB17u501?ocid=msedgdhp

If large numbers of players opt out of the PAC-12, this may lead to a ripple effect across football.  Who knows where this may end.

Unless the NFL builds a minor league, yeah right, if the NCAA maintains its amateur status, where are they going to play? Do they think the NFL will draft them right out of high school and put them on the roster while they develop X number of years?