Rough Day: No Fall Sports

DannyHoke

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29621025/source-mac-cancels-fall-football-season-eyes-move-spring

Regardless of any past thoughts, seeing an entire FALL SPORTS SEASON be cancelled is a major blow to Akron, and every program in the MAC.

Likely not the only conference to make this move, but the first at the FBS level.  The economics without football buy games is impossible to navigate. 

Football impacts schools, but not really the NCAA. If this extends to the winter and there is no basketball tournament for a second season, the end of the NCAA will be in short order. No $$$ no sports.  

This could well be the total reset that we have been tossing around in various ways for years.  

• Like 1

I’m afraid you’re right.

More cuts, and without the FBS money means even more cuts. Title IX is going to obliterate men’s sports.

I have no words...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, bigjim said:

There is another thread with the same topic.  Should the moderators consolidate the replies into one thread?

This is the biggest news with biggest implications in our school’s history. Personally I don’t mind multiple threads at the moment...

On 8/8/2020 at 11:06 AM, DannyHoke said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29621025/source-mac-cancels-fall-football-season-eyes-move-spring

Regardless of any past thoughts, seeing an entire FALL SPORTS SEASON be cancelled is a major blow to Akron, and every program in the MAC.

Likely not the only conference to make this move, but the first at the FBS level.  The economics without football buy games is impossible to navigate. 

Football impacts schools, but not really the NCAA. If this extends to the winter and there is no basketball tournament for a second season, the end of the NCAA will be in short order. No $$$ no sports.  

This could well be the total reset that we have been tossing around in various ways for years.  

So where do we go from here? I highly doubt football will be played in the spring. Where is the money going to come from to do that? Loss of 'payday' football games doesn't help. But those games have been played for years and the severe financial problems at schools like Akron,Kant etc. continue. So what do we think a permanent 'reset' might look like for the Akron's of the world? Again the problem has been there for years. The pandemic simply is forcing the the issue to finally be dealt with now. Please, no more 'kicking the can down the road'. What does the 'reset' look like? Any ideas?

8 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

So where do we go from here? I highly doubt football will be played in the spring. Where is the money going to come from to do that? Loss of 'payday' football games doesn't help.

That's the plan at the moment. Coach Arth brought up the possibility of playing the spring season, and then only having a few weeks before opening camp for 2021.

I don't believe there will be any football for the college ranks played this yr. Until there is a vaccine in place, I don't think spring football happens. Other thing, what happens to the Sr’s eligibility and scholarships. Is the NC2A gonna give these young men a sixth yr and allow more scholarships?Where will that money come from?Alot of unanswered questions.  

10 hours ago, John Ward said:

I don't believe there will be any football for the college ranks played this yr. Until there is a vaccine in place, I don't think spring football happens. Other thing, what happens to the Sr’s eligibility and scholarships. Is the NC2A gonna give these young men a sixth yr and allow more scholarships?Where will that money come from?Alot of unanswered questions.  

I think you are correct and make a couple of really good points. Asking a college player to play 24 games in basically 8 months is not realistic or fair to those players. The body cannot withstand that level of punishment. Schools need to make spring football permanent or don't have it at all.

The point about eligibility is a good one. The first consideration is the scholarship numbers. Even if they allow for increased scholarships for one year, where will the money come from at already cash strapped universities?  We also need to keep in mind that almost all of the players have no shot of playing after college. My guess is as players earn diplomas after five years, they leave and start their adult lives. A sixth year is a long time to stick around a college just to play football. I went to college for six years, but the last two years were spent in graduate school earning a Masters Degree. It was odd looking at my peers from high school who already had two years of work by the time I was finished. The players will notice this as well. Moreover, how many players will want to stick around a losing program?  It's a ton of misery in between games just to play some games only to continue to lose.

10 hours ago, John Ward said:

I believe the "other sports" section of Zipsnation will blow up now as I think esports is untouched by the MAC shutdown.

Go Akron gamers.

Of course it's unrealistic to have a full schedule of games in the spring; however spring practice days could be increased a bit, and teams could be allowed one game.  A rivalry game could generate much interest, and keep the product in front of fans.  Networks will be willing to pay to televise a marbles match by spring.  This would be much more interesting than a meaningless inter-squad scrimmage.  Then have a normal '21 season.

• Like 1

So you would propose having a SPRING FOOTBALL GAME? Doubtful that drives big bucks as no one will travel to play a spring game without some sort of financial guarantee, meaning you will have to do more than one game - home and home at least.  All that work and expense for one revenue shot, in cold weather months of February and March plus perhaps 2-3 weeks of April?  Doubtful.  Most real football programs do a Spring Game, but it's not for Seniors as no one with NFL aspirations is going to play in the Spring, begging the question what is really to gain from the player perspective, or that of the school.  To the NCAA, Basketball is the most important sport as the NCAA has no skin in the football game.  March Madness funds the NCAA and they will not allow this to be cancelled again, or it's lights out for the NCAA.  Game, set, match.  

Found this data online -  was on a FOX News Slide

MAC Football By The Numbers:

— The average MAC school spends $8.7 million on football.

— 39 Power 5 programs were slated to pay $65 million for 49 guarantee games, including 18 against the 12 MAC programs.

— $850,000 to each MAC school from Television Contract

52 minutes ago, DannyHoke said:

So you would propose having a SPRING FOOTBALL GAME? Doubtful that drives big bucks as no one will travel to play a spring game without some sort of financial guarantee, meaning you will have to do more than one game - home and home at least. 

He proposed a rivalry game, you could specify “regional rivalry”. Very little travel expense and you can get both fan bases in the stadium. Use revenue sharing or a home and home. Separate ticket booths. It would be interesting. 

Maybe do a home and home during the regular season in the future instead of bringing in a lower division school (that might beat us).

49 minutes ago, John Ward said:

I still would like to know what you do with the upperclassmen and their scholarships. At the end of the day what matters is these young men.

I will guess they keep the scholarship, but a year's athletic eligibility is lost. You can't have a 2021 football team with 110 scholarship players. 

5 hours ago, Spin said:

He proposed a rivalry game, you could specify “regional rivalry”. Very little travel expense and you can get both fan bases in the stadium. Use revenue sharing or a home and home. Separate ticket booths. It would be interesting. 

Maybe do a home and home during the regular season in the future instead of bringing in a lower division school (that might beat us).

Playing a spring home and home with Kent State would likely not draw much.  I think this is trying to force something that is already a dead issue. Made for web programming as no one is putting Spring MAC Football on television.  ESPN+ stuff at best.